David Lang

Default Garden Gate

Hi

I'm making my sister in law a new garden gate, 6' x 3'.

I'm using 6" x 1" sawn treated timber, so the gate will be 6 x 6" boards
wide.

Given the current hot & dry weather, should I leave any expansion gaps
between the boards?

Dave

BigWallop

"David Lang" wrote in message
o.uk...
Hi

I'm making my sister in law a new garden gate, 6' x 3'.

I'm using 6" x 1" sawn treated timber, so the gate will be 6 x 6" boards
wide.

Given the current hot & dry weather, should I leave any expansion gaps
between the boards?

Dave

It's always best to allow for expansion on these types of thing. You should
also leave a gap around the edges to stop it sticking in the hole as well.
They don't have to be huge visible gaps especially if you chamfer the edges
at an angle so they slide over each other.