Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Securing/stabilizing mini block wall for gate

The gate latches to a small piece of block wall (post) that's only one
block wide. A dog has jumped against the gate so much that it has
loosened the post from the footer and the footer is also loose in the
ground so that the post now wobbles and leans away from the house wall
as well as to the right. See pics below...

My question is, what is the best way to secure the post upright and
also back against the house wall? Aesthetics are secondary to
security but I would also like it to look somewhat decent.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...111_144938.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...111_144858.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...111_144906.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...111_150105.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave" wrote in message
The gate latches to a small piece of block wall (post) that's only one
block wide. A dog has jumped against the gate so much that it has
loosened the post from the footer and the footer is also loose in the
ground so that the post now wobbles and leans away from the house wall
as well as to the right. See pics below...

My question is, what is the best way to secure the post upright and
also back against the house wall? Aesthetics are secondary to
security but I would also like it to look somewhat decent.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...111_144938.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...111_144858.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...111_144906.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...111_150105.jpg

Looking at
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...111_144858.jpg

If the wall to which that abuts is real block and not fake stucco, I would
pull or push it back into place and add a 5x5 wall angle on each side of the
post wall at the top and the bottom. Once painted to match it would blend
in fairly well. The other option would be to pull it back into place and
use a 1.5 x1.5 metal brace from the top of the wall to the house wall
forming a triangle with the gate latch area being the point. Again I prefer
real block and not fake stucco for this.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 6:06*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

Looking athttp://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb268/gweedoh/IMG_20120111_144858.jpg

If the wall to which that abuts is real block and not fake stucco, I would
pull or push it back into place and add a 5x5 wall angle on each side of the
post wall at the top and the bottom. *Once painted to match it would blend
in fairly well. *The other option would be to pull it back into place and
use a 1.5 x1.5 metal brace from the top of the wall to the house wall
forming a triangle with the gate latch area being the point. *Again I prefer
real block and not fake stucco for this.

Unfortunately the house wall is not block. There are studs roughly 8"
on either side of the post (24" on center for exterior walls, I'm
guessing). I can secure to these with large L brackets, but I'm not
sure I can find something this large at Home Depot/Lowe's. I suppose
I can make something out of some heavy gauge tube by flattening and
bending the ends. The latch is a slide bolt so there won't be any
slamming like you would have with the gravity latches so I don't think
the stucco will crack/chip out.

I'm installing another fence further back in the side yard so the dog
shouldn't be a factor as long as the tenant keeps the other gate
closed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 9:28*pm, Dave wrote:
On Jan 11, 6:06*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

[...]

Dave-

Any choice that the stucco wall is open studs on the inside (like an
unfinished garage) ?

If so ...... you could true up the cement block "post" & secure it in
position with some temporary wood diagonal bracing.

Now with the post in it's correct postion, install a few (3) pairs of
horizontal wood blocks in the stud bay that matches up with the
"post".
The blocks should be spaced apart about 3/4" so you can install a
piece of 5/8" threaded rod between them. I'd put them at 2nd block
from the bottome & top and at the middled block.

From the inside drill through the stucco and into the block ends. If
the post is grouted, drill into the grout .
You can anchor the rods into the grouted block using SIKA AnchorFIx #1
super fast set anchor epoxy or AnchorFix #3 (slow set)

If the block is ungrouted, set the rods and grout the post cavity
(about 13 gallons of grout).

The real problem is the post was built without a proper footing and
connection to the earth.

Angle iron at the post wall corner can work but a bit ugly imo.
to make it less ugly put a long angle iron on the inside and only a
couple small "tabs" on the outside.

Angle iron will have rust / staining issues.

My first suggestion has all the structural details hidden but its more
work.

cheers
Bob