Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Securing/stabilizing mini block wall for gate

On Jan 11, 9:28*pm, Dave wrote:
On Jan 11, 6:06*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

Looking athttp://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb268/gweedoh/IMG_20120111_144858.jpg

If the wall to which that abuts is real block and not fake stucco, I would
pull or push it back into place and add a 5x5 wall angle on each side of the
post wall at the top and the bottom. *Once painted to match it would blend
in fairly well. *The other option would be to pull it back into place and
use a 1.5 x1.5 metal brace from the top of the wall to the house wall
forming a triangle with the gate latch area being the point. *Again I prefer
real block and not fake stucco for this.

Unfortunately the house wall is not block. *There are studs roughly 8"
on either side of the post (24" on center for exterior walls, I'm
guessing). *I can secure to these with large L brackets, but I'm not
sure I can find something this large at Home Depot/Lowe's. *I suppose
I can make something out of some heavy gauge tube by flattening and
bending the ends. *The latch is a slide bolt so there won't be any
slamming like you would have with the gravity latches so I don't think
the stucco will crack/chip out.

I'm installing another fence further back in the side yard so the dog
shouldn't be a factor as long as the tenant keeps the other gate
closed.

Dave-

Any choice that the stucco wall is open studs on the inside (like an
unfinished garage) ?

If so ...... you could true up the cement block "post" & secure it in
position with some temporary wood diagonal bracing.

Now with the post in it's correct postion, install a few (3) pairs of
horizontal wood blocks in the stud bay that matches up with the
"post".
The blocks should be spaced apart about 3/4" so you can install a
piece of 5/8" threaded rod between them. I'd put them at 2nd block
from the bottome & top and at the middled block.

From the inside drill through the stucco and into the block ends. If
the post is grouted, drill into the grout .
You can anchor the rods into the grouted block using SIKA AnchorFIx #1
super fast set anchor epoxy or AnchorFix #3 (slow set)

If the block is ungrouted, set the rods and grout the post cavity
(about 13 gallons of grout).

The real problem is the post was built without a proper footing and
connection to the earth.

Angle iron at the post wall corner can work but a bit ugly imo.
to make it less ugly put a long angle iron on the inside and only a
couple small "tabs" on the outside.

Angle iron will have rust / staining issues.

My first suggestion has all the structural details hidden but its more
work.

cheers
Bob