Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave[_39_] Dave[_39_] is offline

Default Securing/stabilizing mini block wall for gate

On Jan 11, 6:06*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

Looking athttp://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb268/gweedoh/IMG_20120111_144858.jpg

If the wall to which that abuts is real block and not fake stucco, I would
pull or push it back into place and add a 5x5 wall angle on each side of the
post wall at the top and the bottom. *Once painted to match it would blend
in fairly well. *The other option would be to pull it back into place and
use a 1.5 x1.5 metal brace from the top of the wall to the house wall
forming a triangle with the gate latch area being the point. *Again I prefer
real block and not fake stucco for this.

Unfortunately the house wall is not block. There are studs roughly 8"
on either side of the post (24" on center for exterior walls, I'm
guessing). I can secure to these with large L brackets, but I'm not
sure I can find something this large at Home Depot/Lowe's. I suppose
I can make something out of some heavy gauge tube by flattening and
bending the ends. The latch is a slide bolt so there won't be any
slamming like you would have with the gravity latches so I don't think
the stucco will crack/chip out.

I'm installing another fence further back in the side yard so the dog
shouldn't be a factor as long as the tenant keeps the other gate
closed.