Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default securing to plasterboard wall

wrote

Hello,

I wanted to put a small towel radiator (40cm by 70cm) on the wall but
it's a plasterboard wall.

Would it be able to support the weight of the radiator plus water? If
so, what fixing do you recommend?

Or will I have to open up the wall and add noggins etc? I was hoping
not to.

I have both landing and bathroom rads on the crappest plasterboard walls
imaginable (known as Paramount walls).
They are little more than partitions with 1-1/2" timber supports at WIDE
spacings.
Even so, with the right fixings, radiators sit there quite happily fastened
to the board not the timber.
I would recommend the all metal plasterboard fixers.
These need a 10mm hole drilling in the board and include a threaded nut at
the "bottom".
The fixing is inserted into the hole and the screw is tightened to lock the
fixing in place.
The screw can then be removed and the fixing stays put.
Wouldn't attempt hanging a rad on these plastic type butterfly thingies
mind.

May not be capable of withstanding strong person pulling hard on a towel
that is reef knotted to the top of a towel rad!!!

HTH

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
wrote
I wanted to put a small towel radiator (40cm by 70cm) on the wall but
it's a plasterboard wall.

Would it be able to support the weight of the radiator plus water? If
so, what fixing do you recommend?

Or will I have to open up the wall and add noggins etc? I was hoping
not to.

I have both landing and bathroom rads on the crappest plasterboard walls
imaginable (known as Paramount walls).
They are little more than partitions with 1-1/2" timber supports at WIDE
spacings.
Even so, with the right fixings, radiators sit there quite happily fastened
to the board not the timber.

There's a man with no kids in the house...

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 May, 23:23, Mike Clarke wrote:
If you think you're likely to use many of these the setting tool (12429) is
well worthwhile, If you use a screwdriver to set them they sometimes twist
round making a mess of the plaster as you turn the screw to compress them
but the setting tool gives a clean straight pull.

Seconded - the other aspect is that the screw heads often seem
to be made of cheese, so if you tighten by turning, you've got
good odds of wrecking the head

John