Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Securing a gate . . .

On Friday, 14 February 2020 13:36:39 UTC, wrote:
On 13/02/2020 21:49, RJH wrote:
Having just had a neighbour's break-in (keys to car stolen, nothing else), and
caught on camera several quite open casing-the-joint forays into our between
the houses passageway (my Audi's next, apparently), we've just had a metal
gate fitted. It's fine, quite substantial.

However, the latch and hinges are fitted with easy to remove hex nuts (fixing
the adjustable screw hinge) and bolts (holding the latch and hinge pins to the
brick wall).

I'd drop a spot of weld to the various bits if I had the kit and skill - but I
don't. Any recommendations for a supplier and type of secure nuts and bolts?
They don't have to be the last word in security - really, the padlockable
latch isn't that secure.

Cheers, Rob

If the bad guys have a battery angle grinder then they can go through
most things quite quickly (albeit noisily). I lost a padlock key
recently and it took much less than a minute to cut through the staple.
Could you use a different style of lock, rather than a padlock?
Alternatively, shipping containers have a hardened steel cover over the
lock, which is completely inside the cover - search for "lock box".

Padlocks are often very easy to undo silently. Something better is called for if anything more than casual offputting security is wanted.

NT