Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default delayed

ebay are saying deliveries from china may be delayed ? ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I expect nobody wants to touch them in case they carry the virus.
Its interesting as recent info suggests its about as contagious as flu, but
like flu the people who do not just get a bad cold are those with other
issues affecting their breathing or immune system.

I just wonder how many of the other viruses we see each year are in fact new
and just because they have not started in a very precise area, have just
been allowed to run their course?
Certainly several recently developed anti virals seem to help with people
who are badly affected by this one as they block the common machinery needed
to replicate the rna of the virus and scramble it. The danger is that there
could be side effects due to the action producing toxins etc.
Still I'd rather be a bit ill than dead.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
ebay are saying deliveries from china may be delayed ? ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 14:52:30 -0000
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)" wrote:

Still I'd rather be a bit ill than dead.

You can't be 100% sure of that until you've given dead a go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I bet the Japanese are getting worried about the Olympics !

Andrew

I'd have thought the delayed grand prix might be worrying more people...
grin.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, I personally feel that my original statement is probably going to be
true, ie its nowhere near as infectious as Measles or chicken pox, probably
as bad as your average winter virus, and for most normal people, not
dangerous, but the problem is you do not know if you are one of those for
whom it is dangerous, but we do not know that for sure about all the viruses
circulating anyway. OK its right to be careful, but if we did this for every
new virus each year, then it would cripple all economies. In the main here
we are attempting to keep it out of countries where there is poor healthcare
infrastructure, since once it is established there, it is inevitable it will
spread.
Brian

--
----- --

"Andrew" wrote in message
I bet the Japanese are getting worried about the Olympics !

Andrew

I'd have thought the delayed grand prix might be worrying more people...
grin.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

ebay are saying deliveries from china may be delayed ? ....

I dont care, I won't be buying anything from
there till the coronavirus epidemic is over.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

I expect nobody wants to touch them in case they carry the virus.
Its interesting as recent info suggests its about as contagious as flu,

But its less clear how long it survives on inanimate objects.
Some viruses can last for months.

but like flu the people who do not just get a bad cold are those with
other issues affecting their breathing or immune system.

That’s less clear with this one.

I just wonder how many of the other viruses we see each year are in fact
new and just because they have not started in a very precise area, have
just been allowed to run their course?

More that they don’t kill so many so quickly except with flu.

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
ebay are saying deliveries from china may be delayed ? ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 09:06:45 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

But its less clear how long it survives on inanimate objects.
Some viruses can last for months.

but like flu the people who do not just get a bad cold are those with
other issues affecting their breathing or immune system.

That¢s less clear with this one.

I just wonder how many of the other viruses we see each year are in fact
new and just because they have not started in a very precise area, have
just been allowed to run their course?

More that they don¢t kill so many so quickly except with flu.

Now ALSO an expert in the corona virus, senile asshole? LMAO

cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 08:55:22 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I don¢t care, I won't be buying anything from
there till the coronavirus epidemic is over.

Darn, so many people, online and in real life, got their hopes high they
would get rid of you, senile Rodent!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

Nobody has come back to complain, I guess,

That fool that was stupid enough to get nailed
up but the romans is claimed to have come back.

Kerry Packer did too.

famously Harry Houdini said he would, and has not,

How do you know that ?

so its seemingly the final curtain.

Not for all those Indians. But then we know they are mostly liars.

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)" wrote:

Still I'd rather be a bit ill than dead.

You can't be 100% sure of that until you've given dead a go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)" wrote in message
Well, I personally feel that my original statement is probably going to be
true, ie its nowhere near as infectious as Measles or chicken pox,
probably as bad as your average winter virus, and for most normal people,
not dangerous, but the problem is you do not know if you are one of those
for whom it is dangerous, but we do not know that for sure about all the
viruses circulating anyway. OK its right to be careful, but if we did this
for every new virus each year, then it would cripple all economies. In
the main here we are attempting to keep it out of countries where there is
poor healthcare infrastructure, since once it is established there, it is
inevitable it will spread.

We are keeping it out of here because so many of our
chinese went home to china for chinese new year.

"Andrew" wrote in message
I bet the Japanese are getting worried about the Olympics !

Andrew

I'd have thought the delayed grand prix might be worrying more
people...
grin.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 09:56:38 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Not for all those Indians. But then we know they are mostly liars.

What we DO know is that you ARE a trolling piece of senile ****, you senile
Arsetralian arsehole!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 09:59:18 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

We are keeping it out of here

The question is, how do "we" keep YOU out of normally evolved humans' ngs,
you senile sociopath?

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

best not to buy any chinky sex toys then ? .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I expect nobody wants to touch them in case they carry the virus.
Its interesting as recent info suggests its about as contagious as flu, but
like flu the people who do not just get a bad cold are those with other
issues affecting their breathing or immune system.

So how come the doctor who discovered it died ( Li Wenliang).

The coronavirus mortality rate appears to be several orders of magnitude
greater than common flu.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Pamela
scribeth thus
On 14:42 12 Feb 2020, "Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote:

ebay are saying deliveries from china may be delayed ? ....

Maybe it's time to order some face masks from, er, China.

Well RS are running short!!

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2020 21:55, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

ebay are saying deliveries from china may be delayed ? ....

I dont care, I won't be buying anything from
there till the coronavirus epidemic is over.

Isn't it made worse by consuming MSG found in takeaway Chinese food?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2020 14:52, Pancho wrote:
I expect nobody wants to touch them in case they carry the virus.
Â* Its interesting as recent info suggests its about as contagious as
flu, but
like flu the people who do not just get a bad cold are those with other
issues affecting their breathing or immune system.

So how come the doctor who discovered it died ( Li Wenliang).

The coronavirus mortality rate appears to be several orders of magnitude
greater than common flu.

Is it or have we generally built up an immunity to the types of flu seen
over the past few decades. When flu morphs into a different strain in
future we could see the death toll seen 100 years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2020 16:19, alan_m wrote:
On 13/02/2020 14:52, Pancho wrote:
I expect nobody wants to touch them in case they carry the virus.
Â* Its interesting as recent info suggests its about as contagious as
flu, but
like flu the people who do not just get a bad cold are those with other
issues affecting their breathing or immune system.

So how come the doctor who discovered it died ( Li Wenliang).

The coronavirus mortality rate appears to be several orders of
magnitude greater than common flu.

Is it or have we generally built up an immunity to the types of flu seen
over the past few decades. When flu morphs into a different strain in
future we could see the death toll seen 100 years ago.

That is why I said "common" flu.

But yes, flu could mutate into an especially severe form. Hopefully
modern medicine would be better at handling a modern version of Spanish
flu. I see they quote about 6 months to develop a new flu vaccine. I'm
not sure how difficult it will be to develop a vaccine for nCoV.
Hopefully if we can delay it arriving here for a year or two, we will be
OK. Although, we still don't have an AIDS vaccine after 35 years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2020 15:41, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Pamela
scribeth thus
On 14:42 12 Feb 2020, "Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote:

ebay are saying deliveries from china may be delayed ? ....

Maybe it's time to order some face masks from, er, China.

Well RS are running short!!

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/

I read a report suggesting they don't work very well. I think you would
be better off with one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/jsp-powercap-active-universal-plug-8hr-respiratory-protection-li-ion/71038

Best be quick.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 12/02/2020 21:55, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

ebay are saying deliveries from china may be delayed ? ....

I dont care, I won't be buying anything from
there till the coronavirus epidemic is over.

Isn't it made worse by consuming MSG found in takeaway Chinese food?

I dont consume any takeaway food of any type.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 13/02/2020 14:52, Pancho wrote:
I expect nobody wants to touch them in case they carry the virus.
Its interesting as recent info suggests its about as contagious as
flu, but
like flu the people who do not just get a bad cold are those with other
issues affecting their breathing or immune system.

So how come the doctor who discovered it died ( Li Wenliang).

The coronavirus mortality rate appears to be several orders of magnitude
greater than common flu.

Is it or have we generally built up an immunity to the types of flu seen
over the past few decades.

Yep, thats certainly the main reason for the difference.

When flu morphs into a different strain in future

It keeps doing that right now.

we could see the death toll seen 100 years ago.

Its possible, but its likely that we would control it better
now that we understand how to do isolation better.

But thats tricky to do with a virus like this one where
an infected person is infectious before they have any
symptoms. But forcing people to stay at home like has
been done in china does fix that problem too.

Gets tricky with feeding them tho,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pancho" wrote in message
[...]

Its already there, 9 individuals in fact and sure to be more
now that it is clear that at least one GP is one of them.

we will be OK. Although, we still don't have an AIDS vaccine after 35
years.

Yeah some viruses mutate too fast for a vaccine to be viable.

The common cold is another example.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 14:52:42 +0000, Pancho wrote:

The coronavirus mortality rate appears to be several orders of magnitude
greater than common flu.

Mortality of seasonal flu varies greatly but averages about 1%.
Covid-19 seems to have mortality of 2 to 3 %. SARS was around 10%.

The big problem with Covid-19 is that some one infected becomes
contagious possibly days before they show any symptoms. So it gets
passed on before the infected person self isolates or presents and
gets sent to an isolation unit.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 16:51:45 +0000, Pancho wrote:

But yes, flu could mutate into an especially severe form. Hopefully
modern medicine would be better at handling a modern version of Spanish
flu.

Better at handling the secondary effects like pneumonia with
anti-biotics. Not sure modern medicine would be any better at dealing
with the virus itself. Probably depends on when and where it mutates
and how similar it is to something we already have a vaccine for. The
seasonal flu jab, is cocktail of vaccines for the three strains that
they think might be ones circulating in the coming winter.

I'm not sure how difficult it will be to develop a vaccine for nCoV.

The WHO are going for around 18 months... The problem is very little
money is likely to be made, so "big pharma" aren't really interested.
There is also the risk you spend millions on developing a vaccine
only to have good containment cause it to die out.

Hopefully if we can delay it arriving here for a year or two, we will be
OK.

The next few days to a week might be interesting...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 06:15:25 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

how difficult it will be to develop a vaccine for nCoV. Hopefully if we
can delay it arriving here for a year or two,

Its already there

Auto-contradicting clinically insane senile idiot! LOL

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 05:45:22 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile troll****

....and much better air in here!

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 05:40:04 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Isn't it made worse by consuming MSG found in takeaway Chinese food?

I don¢t consume any takeaway food of any type.

Yeah, like many typical isolated psychopaths you MAKE your own food, brew
your own "beer", bake your own "bread", even make your own "marmalade", etc.
Psychopaths like you never manage to hide their abnormal character for too
long! G

--
Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 February 2020 19:22:14 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"Pancho" wrote in message
[...]

Because the common cold isn't just one virus it's over 200
which have similar symptoms.
That is basicly why it's called the common cold.

I wonder if royals get common colds ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pancho" wrote in message
[...]

Because it mutates so fast, like flu does.

That is basicly why it's called the common cold.

Wrong, as always.

I wonder if royals get common colds ;-)

Nope, they get royal colds, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 05:22:31 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Nope, they get royal colds, stupid.

YOU get royally bitchslapped on these groups, every day, my favourite senile
punching bag! EG

--
Bill Wright to senile Rodent Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2020 14:20, Pamela wrote:
On 14:42 12 Feb 2020, "Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote:

ebay are saying deliveries from china may be delayed ? ....

Maybe it's time to order some face masks from, er, China.

One of the buyers in my old employer told me one of his Chinese
suppliers has asked if he can source 1000 masks in the uk for them!

Furthermore he is expecting massive shortages of Chinese manufactured
product to start appearing next month. They are already refusing to
discount bulk purchases from uk stocks as he expects Chinese prices to
rise appreciably.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The point is the masks we see here are for stopping stuff getting in not
out, and its the out bit we need to stop those with anything from giving it
to everyone else, whatever it is. I wonder if anyone has done any research
on this in the winter season, to see if it brings down the number of colds
an flue. I'd bye more wary of measles than this virus at the moment, I
think.
That is possibly one of the most infectious things about. Brian

From the Bed of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
Today is Yesterdays Tomorrow.
"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 13/02/2020 14:20, Pamela wrote:
On 14:42 12 Feb 2020, "Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote:

ebay are saying deliveries from china may be delayed ? ....

Maybe it's time to order some face masks from, er, China.

One of the buyers in my old employer told me one of his Chinese suppliers
has asked if he can source 1000 masks in the uk for them!

Furthermore he is expecting massive shortages of Chinese manufactured
product to start appearing next month. They are already refusing to
discount bulk purchases from uk stocks as he expects Chinese prices to
rise appreciably.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2020 11:49, Brian Gaff (Bed) wrote:
The point is the masks we see here are for stopping stuff getting in not
out, and its the out bit we need to stop thoseÂ* with anything from
giving it to everyone else, whatever it is. I wonder if anyone has done
any research on this in the winter season, to see if itÂ* brings down the
number of colds an flue. I'd byeÂ* more wary of measles than this virus
at the moment, I think.
That is possibly one of the most infectiousÂ* things about. Brian

AIUI the purpose of surgical mask is to stop stuff getting *out*.

I did read about this earlier and there was scepticism about surgical
masks providing a benefit against a viral epidemic, I'm not quite sure
what that means.

I was only half taking the **** with my earlier response to Judith,
suggesting a screwfix dusk mask. Dusk masks and, possibly even better,
bicycle masks are designed to stop stuff getting in. So if you are
interested in protecting yourself get one of them. Reasonable masks can
be purchased for £20-30. These masks are unpleasant to wear, as moisture
builds up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 10:48:22 +0000, Muddymike wrote:

On 13/02/2020 14:20, Pamela wrote:
On 14:42 12 Feb 2020, "Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote:

ebay are saying deliveries from china may be delayed ? ....

Maybe it's time to order some face masks from, er, China.

One of the buyers in my old employer told me one of his Chinese suppliers
has asked if he can source 1000 masks in the uk for them!

Waste of time & money:
Dr Nathalie MacDermott, a clinical lecturer at King's College London, told
Sky News there is "not any good evidence" to suggest surgical masks can
protect the general public from the virus but there are other methods.
She said: "Surgical masks are not designed with a very decent filter on them
so they're not able to really filter out finer particles such as viruses.

"They also don't always fit ideally around the face to provide enough
protection for someone.
"We breathe out humidified air which essentially moistens the mask over
time and once that mask becomes moist, it's really no longer very
effective."
She said the more advanced FFP3 respirator "can filter much finer
particles including viruses" and has a valve on the front that releases
air so the mask does not become moist as quickly. But any mask really is
only as good as the person wearing it. If you were to wear a mask and then
take it off and not wash your hands and then touch your eyes or eat some
food, you've just risked contaminating yourself as well," she said.
"If you wear a mask you have to make sure you wash your hands afterwards.
SKY News.
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...t-you-11931121

Furthermore he is expecting massive shortages of Chinese manufactured
product to start appearing next month. They are already refusing to
discount bulk purchases from uk stocks as he expects Chinese prices to
rise appreciably.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Bed) wrote

The point is the masks we see here are for stopping stuff getting in not
out, and its the out bit we need to stop those with anything from giving
it to everyone else, whatever it is.

And most of the medical profession claim that even
the ones intended for disease are pretty useless, but
the use of surgical masks in surgery is universal now.
Thats stopping the surgeon infecting the victim tho.

I wonder if anyone has done any research on this in the winter season, to
see if it brings down the number of colds an flue.

Not really that easy to do given
how variable colds and flu is.

I'd bye more wary of measles than this virus at the moment, I think.

Thats mad given that the bulk of those in the
modern first world have been vaccinated with
measles and none have been with the coronavirus.

You just dont get results like have been seen with
the Diamond Princess cruise ship with measles.

That is possibly one of the most infectious things about.

Thats very arguable given the Diamond Princess result.

"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 13/02/2020 14:20, Pamela wrote:
On 14:42 12 Feb 2020, "Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote:

ebay are saying deliveries from china may be delayed ? ....

Maybe it's time to order some face masks from, er, China.

One of the buyers in my old employer told me one of his Chinese suppliers
has asked if he can source 1000 masks in the uk for them!

Furthermore he is expecting massive shortages of Chinese manufactured
product to start appearing next month. They are already refusing to
discount bulk purchases from uk stocks as he expects Chinese prices to
rise appreciably.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 12:55:17 +0000, Martyn Barclay
wrote:

[...]

I do wonder whether breath, splutter etc actually contains single
unattached free-floating viruses, rather than viruses in a fine gob of
spit, snot or whatever. While accepting that those masks might not be
sufficient to filter individual free-floating viruses (if they exist
in that form), they probably do a reasonable job of collecting the
gobs.

It seems to me the advice is confusing. On the OT1H we're told to
regularly wash our hands, and I always understood that the common cold
and flu viruses could be transferred that way by touch (door handles
etc), OTOH we're told this Corona virus is spread by coughs and
sneezes, in the spray emitted by same, but that you're pretty much OK
if you don't get closer than a couple of metres from an infected
person. Which is it? Touch or spray? Or both?

Both and the evidence for that is the few medical professionals
who have ended up infected with it even when wearing full protection.
The argument is that they likely managed to get infected by touch
from what ended up on the outside of the protection when taking
it off etc. And its unlikely that the vast number who are now
infected on the Diamond Princess cruise ship got that way by spray.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2020 15:18, Rod Speed wrote:

I'd byeÂ* more wary of measles than this virus at the moment, I think.

Thats mad given that the bulk of those in the
modern first world have been vaccinated with
measles and none have been with the coronavirus.

The bulk of the first world have immunity. However, for most of us, born
before the late 1980's, this immunity is not due to vaccination. We got
it the hard way.