Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing line ground socket size

My next project is laying a patio, and I want to include a ground
socket for a rotary washing line. It'll be concreted in, so won't be
easy to replace later without damaging the slabs.

Is there a standard size for washing line ground sockets? I hope the
patio will outlive the washing line.

Also, are there any recommendations for good sockets? I don't mind
spending a bit more on a decent metal socket if it'll last better than
a plastic one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2020 12:09, Caecilius wrote:
My next project is laying a patio, and I want to include a ground
socket for a rotary washing line. It'll be concreted in, so won't be
easy to replace later without damaging the slabs.

Is there a standard size for washing line ground sockets? I hope the
patio will outlive the washing line.

Also, are there any recommendations for good sockets? I don't mind
spending a bit more on a decent metal socket if it'll last better than
a plastic one.

I concreted in a 2 foot length of heavy duty plastic tube that had
an inside diameter of about 3 inches into the ground and the aluminium
pole sits centrally surrounded by pea shingle which locks it into place
with hardly any movement. The plastic tube is just below ground level.

A short length of scaffolding would probably be ok, but cutting a
short length without an angle grinder is a bit of a sweat with a
plain hacksaw.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
[...]

I concreted in the metal base of our, then, current dryer. It's been there
getting on for 40 years, during which time we've had at least 2 new driers.
The pea shingle ide is fine if you want to leave teh drier in place, but
not if you hide it away when not in use.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Our drier is a Brabantia one and they tend to use larger diam. Centre poles.. The metal socket we bought as a separate item from B&Q and it came with several plastic sleeves so that different diam. poles could be used in the same socket but we have not used them as the drier pole is a snug fit in the metal socket. I think Brabantia use the largest diam. pole I am not aware of any other makes being wider, just looking at the selection when ours was bought, so if you get a socket that fits one of theirs and it comes with additional sleeves you should be well covered.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not so bad with aluminium scaffold pole.

Unfortunately these rotating lines come in lots of different diameters, if
its just a straight pole to attach a line then get one and treat the metal
with something like zinc paint and the socket too, it will last for years.
It can also be a good idea to get some kind off cap in case you want to
remove the pole later on.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andrew" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

I concreted in the metal base of our, then, current dryer. It's been there
getting on for 40 years, during which time we've had at least 2 new driers.
The pea shingle ide is fine if you want to leave teh drier in place, but
not if you hide it away when not in use.

My dryer must be a similar age (1), and the metal tube is sunk
into the lawn. I very rarely use it, and each time I do, I have
to get out the cable & metal detector to find the socket, through
the grass which has grown back over it.

(1) In the early 70s, I walked into a shop (remember House of
Holland?) in Deansgate, Manchester and bought a wheelbarrow and
rotary drying line. I assembled the barrow in the shop, put the
drying line on it, and set off for what was then Knott Mill
station. They were soon loaded into the guard's compartment of a
class 304 (well they had to have some virtue) for my journey home
to Burnage.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wilko stores sell an earthscrew, which is an amazing universal "rotary washing line" socket accommodating three of the standard diameters of pole. It has an integral spirit level in the cap, and the cap closes shut when not in use to avoid water ingess (rainwater would rot the base of the pole eventually).

Cost £6

I will concrete mine into the patio, but its design allows it to be screwed into a lawn. It comes with a long lever by which to propel the tip into the ground.

I like good design and have no connection with "Wilko" except as an occasional customer.