Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Parking earth wire

On this occasion the back box doesn't have a terminal for earth.

The 2-gang light switch doesn't have one either.

I presume I should use a single choc-block connector to connect these CPCs?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 26/01/2020 15:48, Fredxx wrote:
On this occasion the back box doesn't have a terminal for earth.

The 2-gang light switch doesn't have one either.

I presume I should use a single choc-block connector to connect these CPCs?

Yes.

Unless you are posh and want to use a wago.

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 15:48:45 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

On this occasion the back box doesn't have a terminal for earth.

The 2-gang light switch doesn't have one either.

I presume I should use a single choc-block connector to connect these CPCs?

You know we aren't there looking at what you are right? ;-)

If you are asking if you can terminate an unused earth wire in a
chock-block (to save it getting into a live connector or some such)
I'd guess the answer would be 'yes' (and I'd sleeve it as well). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2020 16:00:05, ARW wrote:
On 26/01/2020 15:48, Fredxx wrote:
On this occasion the back box doesn't have a terminal for earth.

The 2-gang light switch doesn't have one either.

I presume I should use a single choc-block connector to connect these
CPCs?

Yes.

Unless you are posh and want to use a wago.

Thanks, I've always been able to park the wire before in an allocated
terminal. I guess this is called progress!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2020 16:16:32, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 15:48:45 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

On this occasion the back box doesn't have a terminal for earth.

The 2-gang light switch doesn't have one either.

I presume I should use a single choc-block connector to connect these CPCs?

You know we aren't there looking at what you are right? ;-)

If you are asking if you can terminate an unused earth wire in a
chock-block (to save it getting into a live connector or some such)
I'd guess the answer would be 'yes' (and I'd sleeve it as well). ;-)

Thanks, I always sleeve bare wires. I just feel a connector in a back
box is a cheesy thing to see.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Fredxx wrote:
On 26/01/2020 16:16:32, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 15:48:45 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

On this occasion the back box doesn't have a terminal for earth.

The 2-gang light switch doesn't have one either.

I presume I should use a single choc-block connector to connect these
CPCs?

You know we aren't there looking at what you are right? ;-)

If you are asking if you can terminate an unused earth wire in a
chock-block (to save it getting into a live connector or some such) I'd
guess the answer would be 'yes' (and I'd sleeve it as well). ;-)

Thanks, I always sleeve bare wires. I just feel a connector in a back
box is a cheesy thing to see.

you used to be able to buy earth terminals to add to back boxes (perhaps
you still can). I've still got a few. Fine for surface mounted kit, but a
bit difficult to retro-fit on stuff that's nicely plastered in.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 16:25:58 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

snip

If you are asking if you can terminate an unused earth wire in a
chock-block (to save it getting into a live connector or some such)
I'd guess the answer would be 'yes' (and I'd sleeve it as well). ;-)

Thanks, I always sleeve bare wires. I just feel a connector in a back
box is a cheesy thing to see.

Whilst I agree (and there are potentially 'tidyer' alternatives), who
apart from you is going to see it?

And who (other than you) might see it and think anything negative?

As long as it's safe, (ideally) to code and as neat as you can make
it, ITRW I think that's all you (we) really need?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Leans on old gnarled walking stick...
One used to be able to get a blind terminal for earths that one could fix
to the bottom of the box with a screw. Maybe they were not considered safe
or something if its plastic and broke. My switch boxes in the walls are all
metal, now the cleaner discharges her static on all the securing screws!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Fredxx" wrote in message
On this occasion the back box doesn't have a terminal for earth.

The 2-gang light switch doesn't have one either.

I presume I should use a single choc-block connector to connect these
CPCs?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2020 17:23, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 16:25:58 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

snip

If you are asking if you can terminate an unused earth wire in a
chock-block (to save it getting into a live connector or some such)
I'd guess the answer would be 'yes' (and I'd sleeve it as well). ;-)

Thanks, I always sleeve bare wires. I just feel a connector in a back
box is a cheesy thing to see.

Whilst I agree (and there are potentially 'tidyer' alternatives), who
apart from you is going to see it?

And who (other than you) might see it and think anything negative?

As long as it's safe, (ideally) to code and as neat as you can make
it, ITRW I think that's all you (we) really need?

Whilst there is a regs requirement that unused earth wires are
"terminated"[1], its perhaps more important to keep in mind there will
be cases where there are more than one cable entering the switch
enclosure, so earth *continuity* must be provided between the CPCs of
the cables - hence the terminal takes on more importance.

[1] and not just folded back inside some sleeving as I will admit to
having done...

--
Cheers,

John.

Why not connect shed earth with house earth? George Miles UK diy 4 September 4th 18 07:00 PM
rocks encased in a wire cage to support a bank of earth [email protected] UK diy 14 May 19th 06 06:41 PM
Unnecessary earth wire? Aldrich UK diy 2 January 27th 05 12:30 AM
Earth electrode and power electrode wire area? Old Nick Metalworking 6 January 18th 05 10:08 PM
2 wire circuit - no earth Stephen Fasham UK diy 5 December 13th 04 02:29 PM