Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Parking earth wire

On 26/01/2020 17:23, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 16:25:58 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

snip

If you are asking if you can terminate an unused earth wire in a
chock-block (to save it getting into a live connector or some such)
I'd guess the answer would be 'yes' (and I'd sleeve it as well). ;-)

Thanks, I always sleeve bare wires. I just feel a connector in a back
box is a cheesy thing to see.

Whilst I agree (and there are potentially 'tidyer' alternatives), who
apart from you is going to see it?

And who (other than you) might see it and think anything negative?

As long as it's safe, (ideally) to code and as neat as you can make
it, ITRW I think that's all you (we) really need?

Whilst there is a regs requirement that unused earth wires are
"terminated"[1], its perhaps more important to keep in mind there will
be cases where there are more than one cable entering the switch
enclosure, so earth *continuity* must be provided between the CPCs of
the cables - hence the terminal takes on more importance.

[1] and not just folded back inside some sleeving as I will admit to
having done...

--
Cheers,

John.