Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default rocks encased in a wire cage to support a bank of earth

who are the best suppliers or builders of a wall with
rocks encased in a wire cage to support a bank of earth.

can it be D.I.Y is it difficult to make ?? what are they called
and are there any alternative's
any good web sites...
thanks in advance

Reg
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Grunff wrote:
meow2222 wrote:
get concrete slab reinforcement mesh

Yes...

Most of the "gabions" I've seen are made with galvanised
mesh, like chicken wire on steroids.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

wrote:
who are the best suppliers or builders of a wall with
rocks encased in a wire cage to support a bank of earth.

Gabions
F. H. Brundles.
http://www.fhbrundle.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message .com
from contains these words:

Still havent remembered the name for these things...

Gabions.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

Difficult to see what *anybody can do about the shambles.

Major earthworks and lots of concrete, I expect.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

re gabions:

Anything is better than those except for a quick bodge were it does not
really matter. Close to us they put those in supporting a high bank to a
small stream with *houses* on top of the bank. After about a year the
whole pile collapsed, and the houses, while still there, are unsalable.
Difficult to see what *anybody can do about the shambles. I would not
touch anything where those were used.

then the project was not competently engineered.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
wrote:

cut with bolt croppers

Ok...

/ chop saw

??? With a chop saw??

I think cutoff saw was what I was reaching for.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback

The Medway Handyman wrote:
wrote:
who are the best suppliers or builders of a wall with
rocks encased in a wire cage to support a bank of earth.

can it be D.I.Y is it difficult to make ?? what are they called

Gabions

and are there any alternative's
any good web sites...

http://www.pavingexpert.com/featur04.htm

I had a retaining wall built of girders and railway sleepers (I ignored
Cormaics advice to use gabions). The walls started failing the first
Winter, as a result I had to go through a solicitor to get the builder
back to correct the problem. Driving up, for example, up the M6 you
will see examples of gabions holding up very severe drops.

--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.

changing from 1.5V battery to 9V battery GuitarPsych Electronics 18 April 10th 06 12:11 AM
Down to earth - can you identify tonight's mystery switch gear? John Rumm UK diy 21 April 21st 04 09:23 AM
Earthing Sparks UK diy 17 December 8th 03 10:57 PM
Generator Grounding PoP UK diy 10 November 13th 03 12:29 PM
Earthing Sparks UK diy 10 October 29th 03 01:27 AM