Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default diy signwriting

My beautiful Victorian ornamental garden gate is nearly ready to go out
the front of the Victorian Terrace. I had a thought that it would be
great to paint the house name onto the gate rail in fine Victorian
capitals. I doubt that I have the eye-hand artistry to do this well
enough freehand, so is there a way to cheat a bit. If For instance I
find the font and print it out how would I transfer that to the gate so
that I can paint it with a fine brush? Or is there a way of making
sticky templates from a pdf?

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 15:53, TimW wrote:
My beautiful Victorian ornamental garden gate is nearly ready to go out
the front of the Victorian Terrace. I had a thought that it would be
great to paint the house name onto the gate rail in fine Victorian
capitals. I doubt that I have the eye-hand artistry to do this well
enough freehand, so is there a way to cheat a bit. If For instance I
find the font and print it out how would I transfer that to the gate so
that I can paint it with a fine brush? Or is there a way of making
sticky templates from a pdf?

You can get laser printable clear labels in all sorts of sizes but I am
not sure it will stand up to being outside even with a layer of UV
protective clear varnish on top. Letraset would be one option.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 15:53, TimW wrote:
My beautiful Victorian ornamental garden gate is nearly ready to go out
the front of the Victorian Terrace. I had a thought that it would be
great to paint the house name onto the gate rail in fine Victorian
capitals. I doubt that I have the eye-hand artistry to do this well
enough freehand, so is there a way to cheat a bit. If For instance I
find the font and print it out how would I transfer that to the gate so
that I can paint it with a fine brush? Or is there a way of making
sticky templates from a pdf?

TW

This doesn't quite answer your query, but when I wanted to make a fake
plaque to put on a sports trophy, I did something in Word as you
suggest, then laminated it, then used double sided sticky tape to fix it
to the trophy base. (This was a sort of joke, so it didn't need to be
proper fancy engraving on metal).

Speaking of which, I'm not sure what size the engravers in places like
Timpsons and other cobblers go up to, but an engraving in brass would
look nice. Limited range of fonts but some can do script.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 16:09, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/01/2020 15:53, TimW wrote:
My beautiful Victorian ornamental garden gate is nearly ready to go
out the front of the Victorian Terrace. I had a thought that it would
be great to paint the house name onto the gate rail in fine Victorian
capitals. I doubt that I have the eye-hand artistry to do this well
enough freehand, so is there a way to cheat a bit. If For instance I
find the font and print it out how would I transfer that to the gate
so that I can paint it with a fine brush? Or is there a way of making
sticky templates from a pdf?

You can get laser printable clear labels in all sorts of sizes but I am
not sure it will stand up to being outside even with a layer of UV
protective clear varnish on top. Letraset would be one option.

I had wondered about Letraset too, also some places do vinyl sticky
letters in different fonts. And of course a modern commercial sign
production place can do customised stuff for reasonable prices. There
are also amateur artists who advertise their skills on local Facebook
sites, you might get a reasonable quote from one of them (especially if
you let them use the example to advertise). Someone might see that as a
good business opportunity.

Another thought, an acquaintance of mine has a computerised "laser
cutter" that works on thin plywood, they make up all sorts of arty stuff
to sell at craft fairs. A suitable laser-engraved wood/plywood/MDF
plaque, heavily varnished with proper outdoor varnish could look nice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 15:53, TimW wrote:
My beautiful Victorian ornamental garden gate is nearly ready to go out
the front of the Victorian Terrace. I had a thought that it would be
great to paint the house name onto the gate rail in fine Victorian
capitals. I doubt that I have the eye-hand artistry to do this well
enough freehand, so is there a way to cheat a bit. If For instance I
find the font and print it out how would I transfer that to the gate so
that I can paint it with a fine brush? Or is there a way of making
sticky templates from a pdf?

You can get transfer papers where you flip the image and print it, then
iron it onto something else...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
Another thought, an acquaintance of mine has a computerised "laser
cutter" that works on thin plywood, they make up all sorts of arty stuff
to sell at craft fairs. A suitable laser-engraved wood/plywood/MDF
plaque, heavily varnished with proper outdoor varnish could look nice.

For the wheelie bin I laser cut a stencil out of card (A2 size because why
not), and then spray painted onto the bin. Worked quite well, apart from
paint runs where there was too much paint - should have done it on the flat.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 January 2020 15:53:24 UTC, TimW wrote:
If For instance I find the font and print it out how
would I transfer that to the gate so that I can paint
it with a fine brush

The technique is pouncing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pounce_(art)

You could also use carbon/transfer paper

https://www.efdotstudio.com/blog/going-big

https://www.handover.co.uk/tools-and...els-and-powder

Most signwriters (I have a friend who is one) would do it with cutout vinyl these days.

The nicest is of course gilding

https://www.signpainting.co.uk/craft/gilding.htm

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 17:44, wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 January 2020 15:53:24 UTC, TimW wrote:
If For instance I find the font and print it out how
would I transfer that to the gate so that I can paint
it with a fine brush

The technique is pouncing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pounce_(art)

You could also use carbon/transfer paper

https://www.efdotstudio.com/blog/going-big

https://www.handover.co.uk/tools-and...els-and-powder

Most signwriters (I have a friend who is one) would do it with cutout vinyl these days.

The nicest is of course gilding

https://www.signpainting.co.uk/craft/gilding.htm

Owain

Yes! Vinyl letters, of course! And they can be cut to order, cheap and
simple either as letters or as a painting stencil - perfect! Ta!

TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 January 2020 15:53:24 UTC, TimW wrote:
My beautiful Victorian ornamental garden gate is nearly ready to go out
the front of the Victorian Terrace. I had a thought that it would be
great to paint the house name onto the gate rail in fine Victorian
capitals. I doubt that I have the eye-hand artistry to do this well
enough freehand, so is there a way to cheat a bit. If For instance I
find the font and print it out how would I transfer that to the gate so
that I can paint it with a fine brush? Or is there a way of making
sticky templates from a pdf?

TW

Pouncing is the traditional way. I find just laying down a grid is usually enough guidance

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 15:53:21 +0000, TimW wrote:

If For instance I
find the font and print it out how would I transfer that to the gate so
that I can paint it with a fine brush? Or is there a way of making
sticky templates from a pdf?

Print the mirror image with a laser printer sometimes there's a driver setting
that allows that, or use a gimp/photoshop). Tape paper to substrate. Rub back of
paper with a rag dipped in lacquer thinner.

Some toner will transfer to the substrate, enough to guide a painting hand.

(It may wrinkle or dissolve the paint already there, so beware and test
beforehand.)

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TimW" wrote in message ...
My beautiful Victorian ornamental garden gate is nearly ready to go out the front of
the Victorian Terrace. I had a thought that it would be great to paint the house name
onto the gate rail in fine Victorian capitals. I doubt that I have the eye-hand
artistry to do this well enough freehand, so is there a way to cheat a bit. If For
instance I find the font and print it out how would I transfer that to the gate so that
I can paint it with a fine brush? Or is there a way of making sticky templates from a
pdf?

TW

Print it on heavy paper. Turn it into a stencil by cutting around the edges with a craft
knife or similar not forgetting "cross pieces" to hold the stencil together.

Attach to the gate with tape using plenty of masking. Then just *lightly" spray through
the stencil with a contrasting colour paying particular attention to the edges.
This faint image can then act as a guide for a proper outline to be painted
and filled in. Which is why the width of the cross pieces won't be crucial
provided you place them along straight edges wherever possible.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 January 2020 15:53:24 UTC, TimW wrote:
My beautiful Victorian ornamental garden gate is nearly ready to go out
the front of the Victorian Terrace. I had a thought that it would be
great to paint the house name onto the gate rail in fine Victorian
capitals. I doubt that I have the eye-hand artistry to do this well
enough freehand, so is there a way to cheat a bit. If For instance I
find the font and print it out how would I transfer that to the gate so
that I can paint it with a fine brush? Or is there a way of making
sticky templates from a pdf?

TW

I did it by printing what I wanted on paper and then traced it heavily onto the wood with a biro, which indented it enough to paint.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 18:33, TimW wrote:
On 15/01/2020 17:44, wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 January 2020 15:53:24 UTC, TimWÂ* wrote:
Â* If For instance I find the font and print it out how
would I transfer that to the gate so that I can paint
it with a fine brush

The technique is pouncing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pounce_(art)

You could also use carbon/transfer paper

https://www.efdotstudio.com/blog/going-big

https://www.handover.co.uk/tools-and...els-and-powder

Most signwriters (I have a friend who is one) would do it with cutout
vinyl these days.

The nicest is of course gilding

https://www.signpainting.co.uk/craft/gilding.htm

Owain

Yes! Vinyl letters, of course! And they can be cut to order, cheap and
simple either as letters or as a painting stencil - perfect! Ta!

Might be worth noting that Rutlands were promoting a router pantograph
on special offer this morning. Basically used for tracing an image for
cutting into wood.

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power-...-rutlands+1271

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TimW wrote:
My beautiful Victorian ornamental garden gate is nearly ready to go out
the front of the Victorian Terrace. I had a thought that it would be
great to paint the house name onto the gate rail in fine Victorian
capitals. I doubt that I have the eye-hand artistry to do this well
enough freehand, so is there a way to cheat a bit. If For instance I
find the font and print it out how would I transfer that to the gate so
that I can paint it with a fine brush? Or is there a way of making
sticky templates from a pdf?

Can you not find brass etc letters in the correct size/font? And paint
those? Alternately, water jet cut sheet metal is surprisingly cheap these
days.

--
*Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TimW wrote:
My beautiful Victorian ornamental garden gate is nearly ready to go out
the front of the Victorian Terrace. I had a thought that it would be
great to paint the house name onto the gate rail in fine Victorian
capitals. I doubt that I have the eye-hand artistry to do this well
enough freehand, so is there a way to cheat a bit. If For instance I
find the font and print it out how would I transfer that to the gate so
that I can paint it with a fine brush? Or is there a way of making
sticky templates from a pdf?

Can you not find brass etc letters in the correct size/font? And paint
those? Alternately, water jet cut sheet metal is surprisingly cheap these
days.

An aesthetic judgement - that it might be historically appropriate to
paint the letters directly onto the gate and not use a plaque or metal
letters. Across the road is the church and the victorian restoration
included painting texts on the walls - 'Go, And Sin No More' over the
door as you leave fi, in a handsome gothic revival script.

TW