William Joones

Default Big fat DIY manuals: Collins or Readers Digest?

"Richard Clay" wrote in message ...
I can't decide which one of these to get - just spent 30mins in Waterstones
looking at each (both about £20). I am sick of being a total DIY virgin,
having to get someone in to do absolutely anything, and want to rectify the
situation - maybe even go on to do a house up! (one day...)

The books look like they cover largely the same sort of ground in largely
the same sort of way, but anybody got any particular reason to recommend one
of them over t'other? (it seems a bit excessive to get both). Or even any
other sort of learning source?

Thanks.

I got the Collins when I started renovating our flat last year as a
DIY novice. Its been invaluable. I'd recommend it.

However I still look on uk.diy just about every day for confirmation
and ideas. I find I rarely need to post - someone has invariably asked
the question before.

Will
RichardS

"Richard Clay" wrote in message
Maybe uk.d-i-y is all you need. So already you've saved £20!

Aha! Prepare yourselves for 4 million questions then! Starting at the
typical 6-year-old's level....
But thanks for all the replies folks. It never occurred to me to look for
remaindered versions of previous editions of the books - doh! I guess the
basic info won't have changed much, and "new edition!" is just marketing
hype.

Don't forget to search uk.d-i-y posts archive using google groups.

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

dave @ stejonda

In message , BigWallop
writes
After all you're paying for the information when you pay your phone
bill.

how?

--
dave @ stejonda
Mike Ring

Andrew McKay wrote in
:

I have seen the occasional put-down in this forum, but it is an
infrequent occurence.

Andrew

Although the indulgence in a robust sense of humour is not unknown

Mike R
Andrew

"Richard Clay" wrote in message ...
I can't decide which one of these to get - just spent 30mins in Waterstones
looking at each (both about £20). I am sick of being a total DIY virgin,
having to get someone in to do absolutely anything, and want to rectify the
situation - maybe even go on to do a house up! (one day...)

The books look like they cover largely the same sort of ground in largely
the same sort of way, but anybody got any particular reason to recommend one
of them over t'other? (it seems a bit excessive to get both). Or even any
other sort of learning source?

Thanks.

Try your local library. If it has them, or can get them, borrow them
both for a few weeks and then decide.

Andrew