Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Framing Nailers

I have several jobs coming up that will need a fair amount of stud
partitioning and I am thinking this might be an excuse to get myself a
framing nailer.

Does anyone have any experience of these and any recommendations? I
don't want a pneumatic type and the Paslode seems to be the defacto
standard but is one that requires a gas cartridge any good for
occasional DIY use? Do the gas cartridges have a limited life which
would mean that I would come to use it and find that I needed a new
cartridge even though the old one still had plenty of gas in it. In
which case is one of the newer battery only devices (Dewalt, Hitachi
(HiKOKI) the way to go?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Jan 2020 17:36:06 +0000, Andrew May wrote:

I have several jobs coming up that will need a fair amount of stud
partitioning and I am thinking this might be an excuse to get myself a
framing nailer.

Virtually no one in the trade uses wood for studding now, it is all steel
framing.
Generally much quicker to put up, and the price isnt much diffrent too,
with the bonus of no warped wood. You still need a but of wood around
door frames for extras rigidity/support.
Save yourself on the nailer and go steel.
TP below, they are not the cheapest:
https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/prod...s/plaster-and-
plasterboards/metal-stud-partitioning/c/1500225/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2020 19:14, Alan wrote:

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/prod...s/plaster-and-
plasterboards/metal-stud-partitioning/c/1500225/

I was considering early this year using
https://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/

which seem to have metal studding products 50% cheaper than TP for the
job I need to do, albeit with a minimum order quantity of £75+

Youtube has videos on method of construction using these type of products.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2020 17:36, Andrew May wrote:
I have several jobs coming up that will need a fair amount of stud
partitioning and I am thinking this might be an excuse to get myself
a framing nailer.

Does anyone have any experience of these and any recommendations? I
don't want a pneumatic type and the Paslode seems to be the defacto
standard but is one that requires a gas cartridge any good for
occasional DIY use? Do the gas cartridges have a limited life which
would mean that I would come to use it and find that I needed a new
cartridge even though the old one still had plenty of gas in it. In
which case is one of the newer battery only devices (Dewalt, Hitachi
(HiKOKI) the way to go?

No experience with the gas nailers. I do have a few pneumatic nailers -
which for workshop use are fine, but more of a faff for site use. Hence
I would probably go for a 18V cordless nailer if I were buying now.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 January 2020 17:36:15 UTC, Andrew May wrote:
I have several jobs coming up that will need a fair amount of stud
partitioning and I am thinking this might be an excuse to get myself a
framing nailer.

Does anyone have any experience of these and any recommendations? I

Yeah, get one that uses paslode compatible consumables or you could dislike the cost & availability of supplies for it.

don't want a pneumatic type and the Paslode seems to be the defacto
standard but is one that requires a gas cartridge any good for
occasional DIY use? Do the gas cartridges have a limited life which
would mean that I would come to use it and find that I needed a new
cartridge even though the old one still had plenty of gas in it. In
which case is one of the newer battery only devices (Dewalt, Hitachi
(HiKOKI) the way to go?

Gas life is limited, to what time I don't know. Electric have a run cost upside but cost a lot more, not worthwhile unless you're using it regularly. They're also heavier & drive less nails per charge.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2020 23:16, wrote:
On Wednesday, 1 January 2020 17:36:15 UTC, Andrew May wrote:
I have several jobs coming up that will need a fair amount of stud
partitioning and I am thinking this might be an excuse to get myself a
framing nailer.

Does anyone have any experience of these and any recommendations? I

Yeah, get one that uses paslode compatible consumables or you could dislike the cost & availability of supplies for it.

If I go down the gas route then it would likely be Paslode for the nail
gun. Might be more expensive but seems to keep their value quite well if
I sell it on when I have finished with it.

don't want a pneumatic type and the Paslode seems to be the defacto
standard but is one that requires a gas cartridge any good for
occasional DIY use? Do the gas cartridges have a limited life which
would mean that I would come to use it and find that I needed a new
cartridge even though the old one still had plenty of gas in it. In
which case is one of the newer battery only devices (Dewalt, Hitachi
(HiKOKI) the way to go?

Gas life is limited, to what time I don't know. Electric have a run cost upside but cost a lot more, not worthwhile unless you're using it regularly. They're also heavier & drive less nails per charge.

NT

Its the gas life that concerns me. I don't want to spend on a gas
cartridge and then have to replace it after a year even though it has
had little use. Especially if the next job is only a hundred nails or
so. But specs seem very coy about how long they last. This is unlikely
to be a problem if you are using it every day, but for occsional use...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2020 19:14, Alan wrote:
On Wed, 01 Jan 2020 17:36:06 +0000, Andrew May wrote:

I have several jobs coming up that will need a fair amount of stud
partitioning and I am thinking this might be an excuse to get myself a
framing nailer.

Virtually no one in the trade uses wood for studding now, it is all steel
framing.
Generally much quicker to put up, and the price isnt much diffrent too,
with the bonus of no warped wood. You still need a but of wood around
door frames for extras rigidity/support.
Save yourself on the nailer and go steel.
TP below, they are not the cheapest:
https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/prod...s/plaster-and-
plasterboards/metal-stud-partitioning/c/1500225/

Not sure I would build the garden room with steel and the house down the
road was built with timber so probably need something for timber anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2020 19:14, Alan wrote:
Virtually no one in the trade uses wood for studding now, it is all steel
framing.

The guy who built the place I am sitting in now obviously isn't
virtual... it's all timber above the floor level.

He used a gas nailer FWIW. Don't recall the make.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2020 19:14, Alan wrote:
On Wed, 01 Jan 2020 17:36:06 +0000, Andrew May wrote:

I have several jobs coming up that will need a fair amount of stud
partitioning and I am thinking this might be an excuse to get myself a
framing nailer.

Virtually no one in the trade uses wood for studding now, it is all steel
framing.

Total ********

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Jan 2020 17:09:31 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 01/01/2020 19:14, Alan wrote:
On Wed, 01 Jan 2020 17:36:06 +0000, Andrew May wrote:

I have several jobs coming up that will need a fair amount of stud
partitioning and I am thinking this might be an excuse to get myself a
framing nailer.

Virtually no one in the trade uses wood for studding now, it is all
steel framing.

Total ********

Really?
You work on sites doing refurbs and new builds every day?
I havent seen any 'traditional' wood framed studding for 2 years + now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2020 19:14, Alan wrote:
On Wed, 01 Jan 2020 17:36:06 +0000, Andrew May wrote:

I have several jobs coming up that will need a fair amount of stud
partitioning and I am thinking this might be an excuse to get myself a
framing nailer.

Virtually no one in the trade uses wood for studding now, it is all
steel framing.

Total ********

Really?
You work on sites doing refurbs and new builds every day?
I havent seen any 'traditional' wood framed studding for 2 years + now.

saw three houses buil with all wood frames last year

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Total ********

Really?
You work on sites doing refurbs and new builds every day?
I havent seen any 'traditional' wood framed studding for 2 years + now.

saw three houses buil with all wood frames last year

I think we're only talking about steel studs for the internal partition
walls, not the structure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Total ********

Really?
You work on sites doing refurbs and new builds every day?
I havent seen any 'traditional' wood framed studding for 2 years + now.

saw three houses buil with all wood frames last year

I think we're only talking about steel studs for the internal partition
walls, not the structure.

those were all wood too.

its shoes.

not quite metalworking but , framing nailers are made of metal Marc Metalworking 24 September 28th 05 02:05 AM
framing nailers Marc Woodworking 17 September 16th 05 05:24 AM
Framing Nailers for Roofing Tim Schubach Woodworking 19 September 16th 04 11:05 AM
Electric Nailers S Williams UK diy 1 July 9th 03 01:38 AM