Marc

Default framing nailers

Open to all the framers out there.
With a price range of $250-300
Who has had good experience with framing nailer.
I am not going to build a house, just a shed and screen room.
Also all around house repairs.
T I A
Marc
No

Porter Cable Model FR350 was in that range IIRC. I got the full head nail
style because some codes prohibit clipped heads. See
http://www.epinions.com/content_120793370244

"Marc" wrote in message
Open to all the framers out there.
With a price range of $250-300
Who has had good experience with framing nailer.
I am not going to build a house, just a shed and screen room.
Also all around house repairs.
T I A
Marc

Teamcasa

"Marc" wrote in message
Open to all the framers out there.
With a price range of $250-300
Who has had good experience with framing nailer.
I am not going to build a house, just a shed and screen room.
Also all around house repairs.
T I A
Marc

PC or Hitachi - I have both and like them. I also have a Paslode and it
works fine for quick jobs.
Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Duane Bozarth

Marc wrote:

Open to all the framers out there.
With a price range of $250-300
Who has had good experience with framing nailer.
I am not going to build a house, just a shed and screen room.
Also all around house repairs.
T I A
Marc

Just for variety I have Stanley Bostitch FH. Used heavily for going on
5 years no problem and still satisfied.
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Marc" wrote in message
Open to all the framers out there.
With a price range of $250-300
Who has had good experience with framing nailer.
I am not going to build a house, just a shed and screen room.
Also all around house repairs.
T I A
Marc

I almost hate to say it but my Harbor Freight framing nailer has worked
great for me. Like yourself, only a shed and such. I got their Central
Pneumatics 21 degree full head job for $89. I figured since I'm not
framing houses, if I only get a few years out of it, I will have gotten my
money's worth. So far, so good!
Cheers,
cc

John Thomas

"James \"Cubby\" Culbertson" wrote in
:

I almost hate to say it but my Harbor Freight framing nailer has
worked great for me. Like yourself, only a shed and such. I got
their Central Pneumatics 21 degree full head job for $89. I figured
since I'm not framing houses, if I only get a few years out of it, I
will have gotten my money's worth. So far, so good!
Cheers,

This one?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4041

--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....
Frank Boettcher

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:43:32 GMT, Marc wrote:

Open to all the framers out there.
With a price range of $250-300
Who has had good experience with framing nailer.
I am not going to build a house, just a shed and screen room.
Also all around house repairs.
T I A
Marc

Porter Cable FR350 MAG. Have it, like it.

Got it when I was finishing a remodeling job and got tennis elbow
couldn't drive with a hammer any more. After using it, can't imagine
why I didn't make that jump earlier.

Frank
Swingman

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

Got it when I was finishing a remodeling job and got tennis elbow
couldn't drive with a hammer any more. After using it, can't imagine
why I didn't make that jump earlier.

Had to chuckle ... got to know the feeling again just recently. Had to drive
thirty-two, 3 1/2" 16d nails to bring a couple of fold down attic stairs
into code compliance the other day ("carpenters" around here no longer own
hammers, AFAICT - everything gets put up with nail guns, preferably on
automatic). Thought my damn arm was going to fall off ... and there was a
time I could do that all day long.

AAMOF, the only way I got through all 32 nails was to get up in the attic
and nail down, a la the horseshoeing days of my 'yoot' (a plus, besides
being easier on the arm and shoulder, was the increased accuracy of my
hammering down instead of overhead, a hard earned skill, as most horses will
generally only put up with one or two misses per foot, and some none)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/12/05

ns

"Marc" wrote in message
Open to all the framers out there.
With a price range of $250-300
Who has had good experience with framing nailer.
I am not going to build a house, just a shed and screen room.
Also all around house repairs.
T I A
Marc

I've got a Bostitch N80 Coil Nailer... probably 15 years plus. It works
great... if you keep in mind it's a framing nailer! The aggressive foot
works fine for toe-nailing but will scar things up. No depth control either
(unless you consider air pressure adjustment at the compressor depth
control) but that hasn't been much of an issue--the only time I've noted a
problem is with relatively fresh SPF that is real soft. I mostly shoot 8d,
10d and 12d... no experience with the smaller sizes.

John

Duane Bozarth

ns wrote:

... I mostly shoot 8d,
10d and 12d... no experience with the smaller sizes.

Those would seem to be the smaller sizes in framing...

Just for the OP and the record, the newer Bostitch do have depth
adjustment.

LRod

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:43:32 GMT, Marc wrote:

Open to all the framers out there.
With a price range of $250-300
Who has had good experience with framing nailer.
I am not going to build a house, just a shed and screen room.
Also all around house repairs.

No one's mentioned Senco, which surprises me. Seems to me
Senco/Hitachi/Bostich have been the kings of the framers for some
time. I have a Senco SN65 (full round head) and like it a lot. I don't
know that Senco makes that any more. They redefined their line a
couple of years ago. I think the FramePro (not sure if there's a
number) is the modern equivalent.

Might as well get a full round head nailer, even though the nails are
more expensive (collated) and only about half as many on a strip. More
and more building codes will require them. Might as well get in on the
ground floor. Most hobbyists don't buy two framers in their life.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"John Thomas" wrote in message
This one?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4041

--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....

That's the one! I see they have one now that can be set to shoot 21, 28,
and 32 degrees (or something like that) all for around $110. Not sure I'd
need that as that just means you have to purchase more nails to make use of
the various angled settings.
Cheers,
cc

LRod

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:28:59 -0600, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
wrote:

"John Thomas" wrote in message
. 6...
This one?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4041

--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....

That's the one! I see they have one now that can be set to shoot 21, 28,
and 32 degrees (or something like that) all for around $110. Not sure I'd
need that as that just means you have to purchase more nails to make use of
the various angled settings.

I suspect the adjustable setting is to accomodate whatever angle
sticks you're able to get. There's no particular advantage of one
angle over another, but different manufacturers have settled on
different angles for their products and the nails for one aren't
compatible with the guns of the other.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"LRod" wrote in message
I suspect the adjustable setting is to accomodate whatever angle
sticks you're able to get. There's no particular advantage of one
angle over another, but different manufacturers have settled on
different angles for their products and the nails for one aren't
compatible with the guns of the other.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

I thought the higher the angle, the easier to toenail studs etc, hence many
folks want a high angle, clipped head nailer? For me, a non construction
type, the full head, 21 degree model seems to work fine. Unfortunately,
I've been using it a bit more than I like. I'd rather be using my handplane
or chisel on some masterpiece
Cheers,
cc

vdubbs

Marc wrote:
Open to all the framers out there.
With a price range of $250-300
Who has had good experience with framing nailer.
I am not going to build a house, just a shed and screen room.
Also all around house repairs.
T I A
Marc

I have been using the Porter Cable FC350A for several years with no
complaints. It has been used to build a large garage, addition onto my
shop and several small jobs. It has never jammed and only miss fires
when you let it bounce too much while nailing. The only bad thing I
can say for it is, very heavy.

glad to hear a positive review on this

I bought one several months ago.. at $89 plus 10% off I believe, I
"just had to". Only played with it. Seemed to have power enough and
with the 100 or so nails I shot, no issues. I knew going into it, I'd
be only using it for misc stuff.. and did not expect it to be a Senco.
www

"Marc" wrote in message
Open to all the framers out there.
With a price range of $250-300
Who has had good experience with framing nailer.
I am not going to build a house, just a shed and screen room.
Also all around house repairs.
T I A
Marc

PC FR350A - http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...ableFR350A.htm

Fred

"10x" wrote in message
In article , LRod
wrote:

Open to all the framers out there.
With a price range of $250-300
Who has had good experience with framing nailer.
I am not going to build a house, just a shed and screen room.
Also all around house repairs.

No one's mentioned Senco, which surprises me. Seems to me
Senco/Hitachi/Bostich have been the kings of the framers for some
time.

No surprise... OP stated $250-$300 range. Most Senco nailers are beyond
that range.

Ace 7 corners hardware mail order:

SN-FRAMEPRO 751XP 3-1/2" Framing Nailer $359.00

They generally do not charge shipping and sales tax.

http://www.7corners.com

Joe

No connection, just a happy past user...

A few Senco under $300 from Amazon.com, here is one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=599858

Rough framing Todd Fatheree Woodworking 23 May 20th 05 01:06 PM
Coil Nailers - Nail Compatibility Robert Thompson Home Repair 0 October 12th 04 05:52 PM
Framing Nailers for Roofing Tim Schubach Woodworking 19 September 16th 04 11:05 AM
Old Framing /Remodeling sk Home Repair 10 January 22nd 04 10:27 PM
framing / plumbing question eric Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 02:29 AM