Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Merry Christmas to all on the group

On Thursday, 26 December 2019 12:25:08 UTC, ARW wrote:
Apparently some of the readers of as certain newspaper cannot tell the
difference between tinned or fresh food.

I have been complimented on my not just fresh, but *home-made* soup.

It's quite simple - take two different tins of soup, mix together, and stir in a little cream cheese / yogurt etc. Blend if necessary.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Dec 2019 12:08:52 +0000, Andrew
wrote:

snip

We aren't really 'foodies' so as long as it's reasonably easy to prep,
tastes ok and is reasonably balanced nutritionally, we are happy.

Try some Kimchi (the proper Korean stuff) !

Is it the same without the chili?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 26/12/2019 13:20, Graeme wrote:
In message , ARW
writes
On 26/12/2019 11:46, Graeme wrote:
Â*Our lad came home from uni on Saturday, and on Monday mentioned the
oneÂ* annoyance of his flat is no bread knife.Â* Guess what I nipped
out for onÂ* Christmas Eve :-)Â* He was quite grateful, though.

Will he fetch it back at Easter for it washing?

****.Â* I doubt it - there would have been no room in his huge case this
time, it was so stuffed with manky dirty clothes that probably haven't
seen a washing machine since he last came home.Â* I bet he could take his
sheets off the bed and prop them up against the wall :-)

Maybe the breadknife was to scape them clean?

I have managed to upset the gf's lad for New Year. We have got the
chance to use my parent's apartment in Filey.

He announced that we were too old and uncool to go with. All I said was
"Great that means we can have sex with waiting for you to go to bed".

Now there is no changing his mind, he is definitely not going, and he
hates us:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 27 December 2019 18:01:29 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 25 Dec 2019 13:13:43 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:

what sort of tinned curry is more than merely edible?

I guess it depends what you are comparing it with?

I don't think it does

It's like the white label baked beans. Basically they generally
contain the same haricot beans, all be it not quite so many, a bit
more sauce and a bit less salt and sugar than say Heinz, but then I
guess it's what you are, or get, used to.

I tested all the baked beans I could find for quality years ago. Heinz was near the bottom. Most of the budget brands were fine.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

we have progressed? to a Quooker

I noticed TV adverts for their latest model that can dispense

cold water
hot water
boiling water
chilled/filtered water
carbonated/chilled/filtered water

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Dec 2019 12:13:47 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Friday, 27 December 2019 18:01:29 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 25 Dec 2019 13:13:43 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:

what sort of tinned curry is more than merely edible?

I guess it depends what you are comparing it with?

I don't think it does

Ok, and your personal tastes. ;-)

I'm pretty sure most people would be hard pressed to find any fault
with a tin of Sainsbury's Chicken Korma. Big chunks of clean white
chicken in a nice Korma sauce?

When my Dad came ashore from the Merchant Navy he first became a ships
chandler and would often take me down to the docks on a Saturday
morning and we would take some provisions to the small ships there,
often crewed by Indians. So we were regularly offered a meal and that
was inevitably curry (that seemed to be on the go 24/7). ;-)

So, I feel I've had my share of 'authentic' Indian (cooked) curries
and can't remember their chicken Korma tasting much different to the
Sainsbury's tinned offering? (Curry was also eaten regularly at home
as it was one of Dads favourite meals).

It's like the white label baked beans. Basically they generally
contain the same haricot beans, all be it not quite so many, a bit
more sauce and a bit less salt and sugar than say Heinz, but then I
guess it's what you are, or get, used to.

I tested all the baked beans I could find for quality years ago. Heinz was near the bottom. Most of the budget brands were fine.

And that would seem to conflict with many who feel they are
'tasteless' compared with Heinz?

And my point was that yes, they do taste 'different' and may not be as
'rich' (thinner sauce etc) but in general, are better for us because
of the lower levels of sugar and salt.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 27 December 2019 22:40:14 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 27 Dec 2019 12:13:47 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

As usual we disagree on a lot.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Dec 2019 15:20:30 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Well, why would we have the same opinions on everything?

What I have stated above is both factually correct (where it was fact
not opinion) and where it was my opinion it was also true for me.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ket-own-brands

Or alternatively:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/uk-new...nston-1-788768

So we aren't the only people who disagree on that.

On Curry ...

Yes, yer delivered curry of choice might be nicer than a Supermarket
option but at what cost:?

http://www.actiononsalt.org.uk/news/.../2010/curries/

"Takeaways are thought of as a convenient option, however CASH found
large variations in the salt content of the same curries from
different restaurants in London’s famous curry street Brick Lane. CASH
found the lowest takeaway to be a Vegetable Korma (1.37g per portion)
and the highest a Chicken Tikka Masala (6.81g per portion), so a
simple swap could cut your salt intake by up to 4 times in the main
meal alone.

If you do need a quick meal solution, ready meals don’t need to be
totally ruled out. Similar products can vary hugely in their salt
content; for instance the Sainsbury’s Be Good To Yourself Chicken
Korma with Pilau Rice contains only 0.91g salt per portion, nearly 5
times less salt than the frozen Kan Pur Garden Chicken Korma with
Pilau Rice (from Lidl) at 4.50g salt per portion."

So, how big is the picture you are looking at re your curry
preferences?

And why I said "I guess it depends what you are comparing it with?"

YMWSV of course. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. The Mrs has two sweeteners with her tea / coffee and if I get her
cup by mistake I find it disgusting. Not only is it sickly sweet (and
I have a sweet tooth) but the aftertaste is disgusting. When she tried
to go without sweetners recently, she said that our std brew of tea
tasted like 'hot water' so I wonder what she is actually tasting when
drinking tea? Sweetner?

I had two sugars in my tea / coffee when a youth but gradually cut
down to 1, then half and now none.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
[...]

I had to stop taking sugar in tea when I became engaged. Ny fiancée's
parents never put in on the table.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 13:04:16 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

snip

I had two sugars in my tea / coffee when a youth but gradually cut
down to 1, then half and now none.

I had to stop taking sugar in tea when I became engaged. Ny fiancée's
parents never put in on the table.

That's one way of leaning to cut something out. ;-)

We do something similar by not normally having any sweets, chocolate,
biscuits or crisps in the house or we will eat them. We do buy them to
keep my Mums cupboards stocked up and then we can have one (or 3) when
we go round there. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 28 December 2019 14:04:01 UTC, T i m wrote:
We do something similar by not normally having any sweets, chocolate,
biscuits or crisps in the house or we will eat them.

I'm quite good if they're in the cupboard and I can't see them.

If they're visible, I will open them.

If they're open, I will finish the packet.

So far the only Christmas sweeties I have eaten are two boxes of mince pies.

The drawback to this system is when I forget there's something in the cupboard and find the maderia cake after three months.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 28 December 2019 15:04:32 UTC, T i m wrote:
I think that's like finding a untouched mug of tea you were given a
while back and forgot about. ;-(

If it's not got too cold and scummy I "refresh" it in the microwave.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 28 December 2019 14:44:47 UTC, wrote:
On Saturday, 28 December 2019 14:04:01 UTC, T i m wrote:

We do something similar by not normally having any sweets, chocolate,
biscuits or crisps in the house or we will eat them.

I'm quite good if they're in the cupboard and I can't see them.

If they're visible, I will open them.

If they're open, I will finish the packet.

So far the only Christmas sweeties I have eaten are two boxes of mince pies.

The drawback to this system is when I forget there's something in the cupboard and find the maderia cake after three months.

Owain

I'd regard not eating that as a good thing. Sugar is so destructive to health.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2019 20:39, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:

we have progressed? to a Quooker

I noticed TV adverts for their latest model that can dispense

cold water
hot water
boiling water
chilled/filtered water
carbonated/chilled/filtered water

Where does the limescale go ?? Often wondered.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2019 13:04, charles wrote:
I had to stop taking sugar in tea when I became engaged. Ny fiancée's
parents never put in on the table.

Was sugar still on rationing then ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

Tim Lamb wrote:

we have progressed? to a Quooker

Where does the limescale go ?? Often wondered.

It collects in the tank

https://youtu.be/ogN56ZC830Y?t=67
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 28/12/2019 13:04, charles wrote:
I had to stop taking sugar in tea when I became engaged. Ny fiancée's
parents never put in on the table.

Was sugar still on rationing then ?

No, It had been off the ration for over 10 years, but maybe habits die
hard, However, sugar was on the table for use in coffee.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Saturday, 28 December 2019 14:04:01 UTC, T i m wrote:

We do something similar by not normally having any sweets, chocolate,
biscuits or crisps in the house or we will eat them.

I'm quite good if they're in the cupboard and I can't see them.

If they're visible, I will open them.

If they're open, I will finish the packet.

So far the only Christmas sweeties I have eaten are two boxes of mince
pies.

The drawback to this system is when I forget there's something in the
cupboard and find the maderia cake after three months.

I'd regard not eating that as a good thing. Sugar is so destructive to
health.

Hasnt destroyed my health and I do eat quite
a bit of it, mostly in the breakfast marmalade.

I dont drink softdrink or tea/coffee anymore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Saturday, 28 December 2019 14:04:01 UTC, T i m wrote:

We do something similar by not normally having any sweets, chocolate,
biscuits or crisps in the house or we will eat them.

I'm quite good if they're in the cupboard and I can't see them.

If they're visible, I will open them.

If they're open, I will finish the packet.

So far the only Christmas sweeties I have eaten are two boxes of mince
pies.

The drawback to this system is when I forget there's something in the
cupboard and find the maderia cake after three months.

I'd regard not eating that as a good thing. Sugar is so destructive to
health.

Hasn‘t destroyed my health and I do eat quite
a bit of it, mostly in the breakfast marmalade.

I don‘t drink softdrink or tea/coffee anymore.

just alcoholic ones?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message

wrote:
On Saturday, 28 December 2019 14:04:01 UTC, T i m wrote:

We do something similar by not normally having any sweets,
chocolate,
biscuits or crisps in the house or we will eat them.

I'm quite good if they're in the cupboard and I can't see them.

If they're visible, I will open them.

If they're open, I will finish the packet.

So far the only Christmas sweeties I have eaten are two boxes of mince
pies.

The drawback to this system is when I forget there's something in the
cupboard and find the maderia cake after three months.

I'd regard not eating that as a good thing. Sugar is so destructive to
health.

Hasn't destroyed my health and I do eat quite
a bit of it, mostly in the breakfast marmalade.

I don't drink softdrink or tea/coffee anymore.

just alcoholic ones?

Nope, I also drink tap water, and don't bother to keep it in the fridge.

And the beer and spirits don't have any unfermented sugar in them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 28 December 2019 16:19:41 UTC, ARW wrote:
Sugar is so destructive to health.
That's why I live on a healthy diet of tobacco and alcohol, boosted with
the natural additives that are available from high fat and high salt
content foods.

It's all the artificial preservatives I eat that keep me looking so young.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 29 Dec 2019 04:05:00 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll****

Wow! 04:05!!! You actually "slept in" today! LMAO

--
dennis@home to retarded senile Rot:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Dec 2019 05:04:52 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

just alcoholic ones?

Nope, I also drink tap water, and don't bother to keep it in the fridge.

And the beer and spirits don't have any unfermented sugar in them.

So where does all that fermenting **** inside your senile head come from,
senile Rodent?

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."