Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Merry Christmas to all on the group

On Fri, 27 Dec 2019 15:20:30 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Friday, 27 December 2019 22:40:14 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 27 Dec 2019 12:13:47 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 27 December 2019 18:01:29 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 25 Dec 2019 13:13:43 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:

what sort of tinned curry is more than merely edible?

I guess it depends what you are comparing it with?

I don't think it does

Ok, and your personal tastes. ;-)

I'm pretty sure most people would be hard pressed to find any fault
with a tin of Sainsbury's Chicken Korma. Big chunks of clean white
chicken in a nice Korma sauce?

When my Dad came ashore from the Merchant Navy he first became a ships
chandler and would often take me down to the docks on a Saturday
morning and we would take some provisions to the small ships there,
often crewed by Indians. So we were regularly offered a meal and that
was inevitably curry (that seemed to be on the go 24/7). ;-)

So, I feel I've had my share of 'authentic' Indian (cooked) curries
and can't remember their chicken Korma tasting much different to the
Sainsbury's tinned offering? (Curry was also eaten regularly at home
as it was one of Dads favourite meals).

It's like the white label baked beans. Basically they generally
contain the same haricot beans, all be it not quite so many, a bit
more sauce and a bit less salt and sugar than say Heinz, but then I
guess it's what you are, or get, used to.

I tested all the baked beans I could find for quality years ago. Heinz was near the bottom. Most of the budget brands were fine.

And that would seem to conflict with many who feel they are
'tasteless' compared with Heinz?

And my point was that yes, they do taste 'different' and may not be as
'rich' (thinner sauce etc) but in general, are better for us because
of the lower levels of sugar and salt.

As usual we disagree on a lot.

Well, why would we have the same opinions on everything?

What I have stated above is both factually correct (where it was fact
not opinion) and where it was my opinion it was also true for me.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ket-own-brands

Or alternatively:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/uk-new...nston-1-788768

So we aren't the only people who disagree on that.

On Curry ...

Yes, yer delivered curry of choice might be nicer than a Supermarket
option but at what cost:?

http://www.actiononsalt.org.uk/news/.../2010/curries/

"Takeaways are thought of as a convenient option, however CASH found
large variations in the salt content of the same curries from
different restaurants in London’s famous curry street Brick Lane. CASH
found the lowest takeaway to be a Vegetable Korma (1.37g per portion)
and the highest a Chicken Tikka Masala (6.81g per portion), so a
simple swap could cut your salt intake by up to 4 times in the main
meal alone.

If you do need a quick meal solution, ready meals don’t need to be
totally ruled out. Similar products can vary hugely in their salt
content; for instance the Sainsbury’s Be Good To Yourself Chicken
Korma with Pilau Rice contains only 0.91g salt per portion, nearly 5
times less salt than the frozen Kan Pur Garden Chicken Korma with
Pilau Rice (from Lidl) at 4.50g salt per portion."

So, how big is the picture you are looking at re your curry
preferences?

And why I said "I guess it depends what you are comparing it with?"

YMWSV of course. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. The Mrs has two sweeteners with her tea / coffee and if I get her
cup by mistake I find it disgusting. Not only is it sickly sweet (and
I have a sweet tooth) but the aftertaste is disgusting. When she tried
to go without sweetners recently, she said that our std brew of tea
tasted like 'hot water' so I wonder what she is actually tasting when
drinking tea? Sweetner?

I had two sugars in my tea / coffee when a youth but gradually cut
down to 1, then half and now none.