Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default iPad 2 any use to anybody?

I finally retired my old iPad 2 and was wondering if it was any use to anyone as it is still working and it just grates on me to toss something away when it is not broken. I am not looking for any money for it just some worthy cause to give it to.

With It being a 32 bit device and Apple not accepting apps unless they are 64 bit is it now completely defunct? Myself I did not bother too much with apps using it mainly for email and internet stuff which it was still happily doing until the end albeit somewhat slower following the last OS upgrade when Apple kindly slowed performance to prolong battery life!

I know we have some Apple haters on this NG but setting prejudices aside is it of some use to someone or has it just become an expensive door wedge?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 05/12/2019 15:53, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I finally retired my old iPad 2 and was wondering if it was any use to anyone as it is still working and it just grates on me to toss something away when it is not broken. I am not looking for any money for it just some worthy cause to give it to.

Or sell it to CEX, and donate the £35?

https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=ipad%202

With It being a 32 bit device and Apple not accepting apps unless they are 64 bit is it now completely defunct? Myself I did not bother too much with apps using it mainly for email and internet stuff which it was still happily doing until the end albeit somewhat slower following the last OS upgrade when Apple kindly slowed performance to prolong battery life!

I know we have some Apple haters on this NG but setting prejudices aside is it of some use to someone or has it just become an expensive door wedge?

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2019 15:53, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I finally retired my old iPad 2 and was wondering if it was any use to anyone as it is still working and it just grates on me to toss something away when it is not broken. I am not looking for any money for it just some worthy cause to give it to.

With It being a 32 bit device and Apple not accepting apps unless they are 64 bit is it now completely defunct? Myself I did not bother too much with apps using it mainly for email and internet stuff which it was still happily doing until the end albeit somewhat slower following the last OS upgrade when Apple kindly slowed performance to prolong battery life!

I know we have some Apple haters on this NG but setting prejudices aside is it of some use to someone or has it just become an expensive door wedge?

It's still useful in the kitchen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2gQE0J00UE

It will still be of use to someone, from geek to toddler.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You say they slowed it down, but I seem to recall you can turn the slow down
off. Itt was made default due to the number of complaints about the device
just stopping when the battery condition was poor, with no warning. The low
pawer mode was always there, of course just not turned on.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 5 December 2019 15:53:05 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I finally retired my old iPad 2 and was wondering if it was any use to anyone as it is still working and it just grates on me to toss something away when it is not broken. I am not looking for any money for it just some worthy cause to give it to.

We use an iPad 2 as a picture frame. I found a reasonable app that cycles through photos which I update by connecting the ipad to my PC. It normally sits with airplane mode enabled so it doesn't try and update itself. The only issue with the app is that I can't get it to start or stop in any timed fashion so when I want to use it I need to wake it up and remember to close the app when we want to turn it off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:
Well are we saying that there absolutely no apps that will run on it at all?
Obviously if there were apps, then an organisation for the blind might be
able to turn it into a simple cctv device, but if not then I guess it is a
bit of a useless thing and needs to be recycled. I'd have thought the
battery would be a bit on its last legs.
Brian

While Ive upgraded to a iPad Pro, my old iPad 2 still works and runs the
old apps. Plus Senior Management still uses hers, one of the later iPad 2
€˜s (with the lightening connector)- it is fine for checking mail, browsing,
etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, December 6, 2019 at 2:53:05 AM UTC+11, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I finally retired my old iPad 2 and was wondering if it was any use to anyone as it is still working and it just grates on me to toss something away when it is not broken. I am not looking for any money for it just some worthy cause to give it to.

With It being a 32 bit device and Apple not accepting apps unless they are 64 bit is it now completely defunct? Myself I did not bother too much with apps using it mainly for email and internet stuff which it was still happily doing until the end albeit somewhat slower following the last OS upgrade when Apple kindly slowed performance to prolong battery life!

I know we have some Apple haters on this NG but setting prejudices aside is it of some use to someone or has it just become an expensive door wedge?

Richard

Use it as a video music player, the amplfier + speakers in iPad2 are pretty good !!

Enabling iPad roaming via text fred UK diy 1 January 30th 13 02:56 PM
Article: iPad for Carpenters Larry Jaques[_4_] Woodworking 8 June 26th 11 03:21 PM
iPad 2 Bill[_18_] UK diy 25 June 24th 11 12:04 AM
magnesium + smoking - China iPad´polishing plant¡ explosion ? James Waldby[_3_] Metalworking 0 May 21st 11 11:57 PM
OT - iPad in the news today ... Swingman Woodworking 86 February 9th 10 02:08 PM