Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Getting rid of the gap between kitchen sink and wall/upstand

I'm thinking (quite a long way) ahead to fitting the worktops and sink
and want to devise a way to solve the problem of the area behind the
sink that always gets wet and manky. SWMBO wants oak worktops and a S/S
1.5 bowl double drainer sink (from Franke) so under-top sinks, corian,
ceramic, etcetera are all ruled-out.
The ideas I've had thus far a to build-out the area behind the sink
so that it slopes and, when tiled, slightly overhangs the back of the
sink, or to fabricate a S/S wrap for the upstand behind the sink such
that any water is directed onto the sink. Has anyone come-up with other
ways of solving the problem?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can't you just get in the habit of wiping it dry. Provided the joints are
all siliconed it should be okay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 13:41:33 GMT, John wrote:

Can't you just get in the habit of wiping it dry.

That was my second thought after sit-on-sink...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 09/11/2019 13:41, GB wrote:
want to devise a way to solve the problem of the area behind the sink
that always gets wet and manky.

........"want to devise a way to solve the problem of the area behind the
sink that always gets wet and manky.".........

We just wipe ours but have extra wide worktop which also means that the
washing machine/dish washer and tumble dryer have extra room at the back
of them for fitting/pipe work etc.
It also means that I have doors on the front to conceal the white goods.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Normally what tends to happen is that there is movement of the worktop/sink
as apposed to the wall or structure with the tiles and this eventually lets
water in as the silicon gets hard with age. I've never found a totally
foolproof way myself except every so often redoing the silicon.
Not me any more, thank goodness there are limits to blind handyman skills
and all that stuff. grin.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
I'm thinking (quite a long way) ahead to fitting the worktops and sink and
want to devise a way to solve the problem of the area behind the sink that
always gets wet and manky. SWMBO wants oak worktops and a S/S 1.5 bowl
double drainer sink (from Franke) so under-top sinks, corian, ceramic,
etcetera are all ruled-out.
The ideas I've had thus far a to build-out the area behind the sink so
that it slopes and, when tiled, slightly overhangs the back of the sink,
or to fabricate a S/S wrap for the upstand behind the sink such that any
water is directed onto the sink. Has anyone come-up with other ways of
solving the problem?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Can't you just get in the habit of wiping it dry. Provided the joints are
all siliconed it should be okay.

That is what weve always done and never had any trouble. It just becomes
part of the routine after using the sink etc and tidying up the kitchen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
John wrote:

Can't you just get in the habit of wiping it dry. Provided the joints are
all siliconed it should be okay.

That is what weve always done and never had any trouble. It just becomes
part of the routine after using the sink etc and tidying up the kitchen.

I'd rather not be such a slave to my sink tho.