DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Getting rid of the gap between kitchen sink and wall/upstand (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/641837-getting-rid-gap-between-kitchen-sink-wall-upstand.html)

[email protected] November 9th 19 12:27 PM

Getting rid of the gap between kitchen sink and wall/upstand

I'm thinking (quite a long way) ahead to fitting the worktops and sink
and want to devise a way to solve the problem of the area behind the
sink that always gets wet and manky. SWMBO wants oak worktops and a S/S
1.5 bowl double drainer sink (from Franke) so under-top sinks, corian,
ceramic, etcetera are all ruled-out.
The ideas I've had thus far a to build-out the area behind the sink
so that it slopes and, when tiled, slightly overhangs the back of the
sink, or to fabricate a S/S wrap for the upstand behind the sink such
that any water is directed onto the sink. Has anyone come-up with other
ways of solving the problem?

Andy Bennet November 9th 19 12:59 PM

On 09/11/2019 12:27, wrote:
I'm thinking (quite a long way) ahead to fitting the worktops and sink
and want to devise a way to solve the problem of the area behind the
sink that always gets wet and manky. SWMBO wants oak worktops and a S/S
1.5 bowl double drainer sink (from Franke) so under-top sinks, corian,
ceramic, etcetera are all ruled-out.
The ideas I've had thus far a to build-out the area behind the sink
so that it slopes and, when tiled, slightly overhangs the back of the
sink, or to fabricate a S/S wrap for the upstand behind the sink such
that any water is directed onto the sink. Has anyone come-up with other
ways of solving the problem?

I put a S/S filler strip under the back of our sink and the other half
is very pleased with it.
Had a custom S/S wrapped MDF backed section made - I think it was 50mm x
1000mm and cost about £8 inc. postage so really not worth faffing around.

URL:-
https://www.stainlessdirectuk.com/pr...ck-13mm-thick/

[email protected] November 9th 19 01:23 PM

On 09/11/2019 12:59, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 09/11/2019 12:27, wrote:
[...]

That's a useful link, thanks!

John November 9th 19 01:41 PM

Getting rid of the gap between kitchen sink and wall/upstand

Can't you just get in the habit of wiping it dry. Provided the joints are
all siliconed it should be okay.

GB November 9th 19 01:41 PM

On 09/11/2019 12:27, wrote:
I'm thinking (quite a long way) ahead to fitting the worktops and sink
and want to devise a way to solve the problem of the area behind the
sink that always gets wet and manky. SWMBO wants oak worktops and a S/S
1.5 bowl double drainer sink (from Franke) so under-top sinks, corian,
ceramic, etcetera are all ruled-out.
The ideas I've had thus far a to build-out the area behind the sink
so that it slopes and, when tiled, slightly overhangs the back of the
sink, or to fabricate a S/S wrap for the upstand behind the sink such
that any water is directed onto the sink. Has anyone come-up with other
ways of solving the problem?

You are really saying that you want an old fashioned sit on sink.

https://www.selcobw.com/leisure-roll...ith-rh-drainer

Nothing wrong with them. They are an excellent design, and they save on
a bit of worktop.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] November 9th 19 09:58 PM

On Sat, 09 Nov 2019 13:41:33 GMT, John wrote:

Can't you just get in the habit of wiping it dry.

That was my second thought after sit-on-sink...

--
Cheers
Dave.

ss November 10th 19 12:18 AM

On 09/11/2019 13:41, GB wrote:
want to devise a way to solve the problem of the area behind the sink
that always gets wet and manky.

........"want to devise a way to solve the problem of the area behind the
sink that always gets wet and manky.".........

We just wipe ours but have extra wide worktop which also means that the
washing machine/dish washer and tumble dryer have extra room at the back
of them for fitting/pipe work etc.
It also means that I have doors on the front to conceal the white goods.

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) November 10th 19 08:59 AM

Getting rid of the gap between kitchen sink and wall/upstand

Normally what tends to happen is that there is movement of the worktop/sink
as apposed to the wall or structure with the tiles and this eventually lets
water in as the silicon gets hard with age. I've never found a totally
foolproof way myself except every so often redoing the silicon.
Not me any more, thank goodness there are limits to blind handyman skills
and all that stuff. grin.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Brian Reay[_6_] November 10th 19 10:29 AM

John wrote:

Can't you just get in the habit of wiping it dry. Provided the joints are
all siliconed it should be okay.

That is what weve always done and never had any trouble. It just becomes
part of the routine after using the sink etc and tidying up the kitchen.

Rod Speed November 10th 19 04:44 PM

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
John wrote:

Can't you just get in the habit of wiping it dry. Provided the joints are
all siliconed it should be okay.

That is what weve always done and never had any trouble. It just becomes
part of the routine after using the sink etc and tidying up the kitchen.

I'd rather not be such a slave to my sink tho.