Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

Default need help for a small gap between kitchen sink and backplash

I recently replaced the linoleum counter top in my kitchen, as well as
the sink. My problem is that there is a quarter inch gap between the
top-mounted sink and the backsplash and I need suggestion on what to
do with this gap.

The countertop is 26 inches in width from the wall to the front edge.
The rolled backsplash is 1.5 inches thick, which leaves about 24.5" of
counter space. The sink is 22" front-to back. the countertop
overhangs the front of the cabinet by about 1.5".

So the back of the sink is about .25" from the backsplash.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure of the best way to finish this. Should I
caulk it with cleal caulking (which I think will be hard to clean),
just leave the gap, or is there any other solution?
Posted to alt.home.repair

rlz wrote:
I recently replaced the linoleum counter top in my kitchen, as well as
the sink. My problem is that there is a quarter inch gap between the
top-mounted sink and the backsplash and I need suggestion on what to
do with this gap.

The countertop is 26 inches in width from the wall to the front edge.
The rolled backsplash is 1.5 inches thick, which leaves about 24.5" of
counter space. The sink is 22" front-to back. the countertop
overhangs the front of the cabinet by about 1.5".

So the back of the sink is about .25" from the backsplash.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure of the best way to finish this. Should I
caulk it with cleal caulking (which I think will be hard to clean),
just leave the gap, or is there any other solution?

the way this is done is to scribe the countertop to the backsplash, trim the
countertop before installation, and get a perfect fit. then screw the
countertop down, and add a thin bead of caulk.

another way is to install the countertop scribed to the wall, then the
backsplash on top of the counter, and fill with a bead of caulk.

the crack has to be filled. it will look bad to fill it with caulk. i'd take
it off and start over.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

I think DadiOH has it right. The OP said there is a gap between the
sink and the backsplash, not between the sink and the cutout. The pic
appears to be a combination of rust and crud. If the sink and counter
were "recently replaced" the OP was either scammed or chose inferior
product. There shouldn't be any caulk between the sink and backsplash--
just keep clean with a small brush and cleanser. The caulk should be
under the rim of the sink.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in

dadiOH wrote:

2. The sink is rusting which means it is steel, probably with an
enamel coating.

It looks like it is rusting along the front as well as rear. Steel
sink bedded with silicone? Needs to be pulled up and replaced or -
possibly - all the rust cleaned off and rebedded. Use plumber's
putty.

Had a bath sink all cruddy like that. It was one of the cheapo cast iron
with porcelain. Removed it. Wire brushed with drill till clean. Brush
painted all exposed cast iron with RustOleum Rusty Metal Primer.
Fortunately particle board under Formica was not damaged. Cleaned up
stained counter with BarkeepsFriend. All worked out real well.

Saw a segment on How They Do It where they were doing maintenance on
cruise liners while in port. They use phosphoric acid (unknown
concentration) on exposed metal. Converts the rust and leaves a black
film/scale which actually becomes a rust retardant. Then of course you
look at the active ingrediant in naval jellies and it's...phosphoric acid
..

Small undermount kitchen sink Arpil Home Repair 4 April 21st 09 01:03 AM
Small sink [email protected] UK diy 10 October 24th 08 03:40 AM
how to file a small recess in a ceramic sink? Martin Evans UK diy 7 August 26th 06 04:17 PM
Can a single mixer kitchen tap be used on a double kitchen sink??? [email protected] UK diy 2 October 23rd 05 10:26 PM
kitchen sink problem: want single-flow crosstop deck sink mixer... but height clearance limited james UK diy 6 March 30th 04 02:43 PM