Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default What to fill gap between sink and counter?

There's a large gap between the sink's edge and the countertop. This gap is
hard to clean. If I fill it with silicone sealant, it would be easier to
clean, but wouldn't the process of scrubbing damage the somewhat flexible
sealant? Is there a sealant that is scrub proof?

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/1135612218_48NgH-M-1.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 5:18*pm, "bob" wrote:
There's a large gap between the sink's edge and the countertop. This gap is
hard to clean. If I fill it with silicone sealant, it would be easier to
clean, but wouldn't the process of scrubbing damage the somewhat flexible
sealant? Is there a sealant that is scrub proof?

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/1135612218_48NgH-M-1.jpg

That gap is a lot bigger than one would expect. Looks like the sink
isn't bottomed all the way in the opening. But I don't see why you
can't fill it with one of the high quality silicone caulks, in white.
Should hold up to fine with normal cleaning. You shouldn't need to
scrub it with Comet or anything...
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:
There's a large gap between the sink's edge and the countertop. This gap is
hard to clean. If I fill it with silicone sealant, it would be easier to
clean, but wouldn't the process of scrubbing damage the somewhat flexible
sealant? Is there a sealant that is scrub proof?

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/1135612218_48NgH-M-1.jpg

Hi,
It looks to me the sink is not seated properly. There shouldn't be
hardly any gap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:18:05 -0800, "bob" wrote:

There's a large gap between the sink's edge and the countertop. This gap is
hard to clean. If I fill it with silicone sealant, it would be easier to
clean, but wouldn't the process of scrubbing damage the somewhat flexible
sealant? Is there a sealant that is scrub proof?

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/1135612218_48NgH-M-1.jpg

I don't know why the corner is so dirty. Looks like mildew or
something. Is there a leak under this sink, somewhere?

Best to cut all the old caulk out, clean the area well with bleach and
clean up good. After it dries you can put new caulk in.

You can scrub the sealant with a tooth brush. How hard do you need to
scrub to get it clean...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 23, 4:18*pm, "bob" wrote:
There's a large gap between the sink's edge and the countertop. This gap is
hard to clean. If I fill it with silicone sealant, it would be easier to
clean, but wouldn't the process of scrubbing damage the somewhat flexible
sealant? Is there a sealant that is scrub proof?

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/1135612218_48NgH-M-1.jpg

The sink is improperly seated. Remove it, use a router to chamfer the
edges to match the sink profile and reinstall with white silicone
sealant. The gap will magically disappear and your worries abut
scrubbing will be history. Remove all the old sealant, clean the area
to be bonded with a polar solvent like alcohol or lacquer thinner.
The original install seems to be a DIY project that lacked proper
instructions. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 5:18*pm, "bob" wrote:
There's a large gap between the sink's edge and the countertop. This gap is
hard to clean. If I fill it with silicone sealant, it would be easier to
clean, but wouldn't the process of scrubbing damage the somewhat flexible
sealant? Is there a sealant that is scrub proof?

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/1135612218_48NgH-M-1.jpg

As others have said, it looks like possibly the sink isn't seated
properly but I have another question.

What is the dark area *inside* the sink, opposite the dirty caulk you
are probably referring too? Look straight into the picture, before you
get to the fingers of the glove.

It almost looks like there is a gap there also. What is that?

Is it possible that the ceramic/porcelain piece we're looking at isn't
even part of the sink?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2010 6:49 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 23, 5:18 pm, wrote:
There's a large gap between the sink's edge and the countertop. This gap is
hard to clean. If I fill it with silicone sealant, it would be easier to
clean, but wouldn't the process of scrubbing damage the somewhat flexible
sealant? Is there a sealant that is scrub proof?

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/1135612218_48NgH-M-1.jpg

As others have said, it looks like possibly the sink isn't seated
properly but I have another question.

What is the dark area *inside* the sink, opposite the dirty caulk you
are probably referring too? Look straight into the picture, before you
get to the fingers of the glove.

It almost looks like there is a gap there also. What is that?

Is it possible that the ceramic/porcelain piece we're looking at isn't
even part of the sink?

Point your browser to http://www.dongares.com/whatisthis.jpg and you
will see what I think that DerbyDad03 is referring to.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 5:18 pm, wrote:
[...]

Yep. See it now. Looks like dirt. Likely mildew. Pull the sink as
others suggest. Fix it, even adjust the plumbing when the sink is
re-seated.

Water is going somewhere from splashes...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 5:18 pm, wrote:
[...]

I think Derby is postulating that there is a completely separate "trim
ring."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 8:57*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

On Dec 23, 5:18 pm, *wrote:
[...]

ring."- Hide quoted text -

Nah- that is just a Really Wide bead of caulk.... :^)

(But seriously- I think it is just a badly installed sink, or the rim
is so out of flat that it can't set square on the counter. If
bleaching wouldn't cure it 'good enough', I'd yank it and reinstall
it.)

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 9:57*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

On Dec 23, 5:18 pm, *wrote:
[...]

That is indeed my postulation. What else would explain the similar
looking crud inside the sink?

In addition, if you look under the strainer at the back of the sink,
do you see rust? That could be rust from the original metal trim ring
that is under the ceramic/porcelain trim ring.

The existence of a metal trim ring with the ceramic/porcelain trim
ring sitting on top would explain the gap (and need for caulk) on both
sides.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 15:16:16 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

On Dec 23, 4:18Â*pm, "bob" wrote:
There's a large gap between the sink's edge and the countertop. This gap is
hard to clean. If I fill it with silicone sealant, it would be easier to
clean, but wouldn't the process of scrubbing damage the somewhat flexible
sealant? Is there a sealant that is scrub proof?

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/1135612218_48NgH-M-1.jpg

The sink is improperly seated. Remove it, use a router to chamfer the
edges to match the sink profile and reinstall with white silicone
sealant. The gap will magically disappear and your worries abut
scrubbing will be history. Remove all the old sealant, clean the area
to be bonded with a polar solvent like alcohol or lacquer thinner.
The original install seems to be a DIY project that lacked proper
instructions. Good luck.

Joe

If it is a sawdust core counter top, paint the edge with a good coat
of paint to seal it so if any moisture gets down there the 1 inch
countertop doesn't become a 1 1/2 inch countertop.

I ALWAYS seal the edges of sink cutouts - a goodprimer like KILZ or
Zinzer works good.