Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where do smart meters get their power from?

F wrote:

We were waiting for pushback but the time came and went. Eventually we
were told not to be concerned but the lights would shortly go off for a
while as the aircraft was being rebooted!

787 dreamliners used to require a regular reboot to prevent them losing
all electrical power after 2^31 centiseconds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 12:06:05 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

F wrote:

We were waiting for pushback but the time came and went. Eventually we
were told not to be concerned but the lights would shortly go off for a
while as the aircraft was being rebooted!

787 dreamliners used to require a regular reboot to prevent them losing
all electrical power after 2^31 centiseconds.

Not just 787.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...bug_149_hours/

I'm very wary of anything labelled "smart". We seem to be in an era
of not very smart programmers and system designers, or rather they are
under pressure from their management to deliver, sometimes to meet
perhaps some poorly considered artificial management or political
target.

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2019 11:56, F wrote:
On 08/11/2019 21:51, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
writes
Having said all that though, is it not strange in this day and age
that the
first advice if tech is not working right is to turn it off then on
again.
Mark my words, it will be even worse when we all start using Quantum
computers! :-)

Quite! I have used this one before.... we were sat at the end of the
runway for a flight home from Madeira.
Nothing much happened and then the captain announced we were returning
to the apron. Back to the end of the runway and a normal take off.
When the seat belt lights went to off the captain explained there had
been a warning light on his display. Apparently turning the system off
and back on had fixed it so we took off!

We were waiting for pushback but the time came and went. Eventually we
were told not to be concerned but the lights would shortly go off for a
while as the aircraft was being rebooted!

Happened frequently to the class 317? trains new to Southern back
circa 2004.

Train comes to halt, driver announces that everything will shut
down for a while, as the 'computer untangles its knickers'.