Seri

Default SDS - DeWalt or Makita & Difference between SDS & SDS Plus

So there I am, just about ready to buy a power planer (as asked about in the
group earlier) when temptation overcomes me and I decide to bite the bullet
and get an SDS drill whilst I'm at it. I do need one and it will be getting
a fair ammount or use around the house during my rewire.

After perusing the ScrewFix and Toolstation websites I pretty much have it
down to a choice of two:
Makita 2kg SDS - 780w - 1100rpm - 4500bpm - 2.4kg = £120
DeWalt 2kg SDS Plus - 650w - 1100rpm - 4200bpm - 2.4kg = £110

A few quick questions before I make my choice:
the Makita has a higher rated bpm, but does that actually matter that much?
the Makita has a higher rated wattage, does that actually matter?
the Makita is listed in the 'SDS Plus' section of the ScrewFix website, can
I presume that it is 'SDS Plus'?
does 'SDS Plus' matter, or are all SDS drills 'SDS Plus'?
Is the DeWalt brand better than the Makita brand or vice versa?

Sorry to pester the group over this, and any responses are appreciated.

Thanks

Seri

Seri

P.S.
I have been through the Google groups archives and read the various SDS
threads but couldn't find the answers.
I don't deny that I may not have looked hard enough however.

"Seri" wrote in message
[...]

Grunff

Seri wrote:

So there I am, just about ready to buy a power planer (as asked about in the
group earlier) when temptation overcomes me and I decide to bite the bullet
and get an SDS drill whilst I'm at it. I do need one and it will be getting
a fair ammount or use around the house during my rewire.

After perusing the ScrewFix and Toolstation websites I pretty much have it
down to a choice of two:
Makita 2kg SDS - 780w - 1100rpm - 4500bpm - 2.4kg = £120
DeWalt 2kg SDS Plus - 650w - 1100rpm - 4200bpm - 2.4kg = £110

I have the DeWalt and am very happy with it, but I think if I was
choosing between those two today I'd buy the Makita.

the Makita has a higher rated bpm, but does that actually matter that much?

Not really.

the Makita has a higher rated wattage, does that actually matter?

Yes, this is what would swing it for me.

the Makita is listed in the 'SDS Plus' section of the ScrewFix website, can
I presume that it is 'SDS Plus'?
does 'SDS Plus' matter, or are all SDS drills 'SDS Plus'?

Both of these tools are SDS Plus. There is another standard, SDS Max,
but this is much bigger.

Is the DeWalt brand better than the Makita brand or vice versa?

Baaaad question! Tut tut.

--
Grunff
BIGEYE

Makita wins every time. I work in heavy industry and always use Makita power
tools. They last for years. On the other hand, other members of our team
have used DeWalt amongst other brands and have been most disappointed with
performance & reliability.
Just remember that DW is B&D in disguise.

"Grunff" wrote in message
Seri wrote:

[...]

John Rumm

Seri wrote:

After perusing the ScrewFix and Toolstation websites I pretty much have it
down to a choice of two:
Makita 2kg SDS - 780w - 1100rpm - 4500bpm - 2.4kg = ?120

That is the one I went for in the end... (I was choosing between that
and a Bosch rather than the DeWalt)

DeWalt 2kg SDS Plus - 650w - 1100rpm - 4200bpm - 2.4kg = ?110

A few quick questions before I make my choice:
the Makita has a higher rated bpm, but does that actually matter that much?

Doubt it....

the Makita has a higher rated wattage, does that actually matter?

I chose the Makita because of the extra power. For ordinary drilling and
chiselling it will probably not make that much difference, but it might
make a difference for some applications like using core drills.

the Makita is listed in the 'SDS Plus' section of the ScrewFix website, can
I presume that it is 'SDS Plus'?
does 'SDS Plus' matter, or are all SDS drills 'SDS Plus'?

Some makers seem to reserve the SDS Plus tag for drills with roto stop
(i.e. hammer only)... but but others don't so it does not make any real
difference.

Is the DeWalt brand better than the Makita brand or vice versa?

A question likely to generate more heat than light ;-)

Not having any DeWalt tools I don't feel qualified to comment, but I am
very happy with the Makita ones I have.

--
Cheers,

John.

Lurch

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:53:30 GMT, "Seri"
wrote:

[...]

SDS is the first type of SDS drill, the difference is in the way the
bit and chuck mechanism was. IIRC the slots\grooves are slightly
different. The SDS bit's won't fit in more recent SDS drills. (If you
can find any!) All drills are referred to as SDS but are all SDS plus
of late.
As for the DeWalt\Makita poser, I've got several of each, of different
sizes, I think the Makita has the edge for durability and power, but
only just. For occasional DIY work you probably won't notice much of a
difference and both are miles better than a normal hammer drill
anyway.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
John Woodhall

"Seri" wrote in message
[...]

I have the bosch industrial one with two chucks and its the mutts. I would
go for that one just for the ease of chuck changing, it isn`t 6 feet long
with the normal chuck on. Its this one.

Used it in anger loads and its been the best tool I have ever owned.

As for the Dewalt/Makita debate, just brought my first Dewalt tool, a
circular saw. So far it has been just as good as my makita tools, however
the finish is not as good, as in some stickers aren`t stuck down properly
and the castings aren`t excellent. But that said the motor on it is superb.
I think that they are just as good as one another IMHO.

Seri

Looking at the Bosch you recommend against the Makita, the Bosch is lower
Wattage, less max RPMs and £20 more, everything else is same spec.

I know specs aren't everything, but it's the only thing I have to guage them
against...

Opinions?

Thanks )

"John Woodhall" wrote in message

"Seri" wrote in message
[...]

Lurch

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:08:38 GMT, "Seri"
wrote:

Looking at the Bosch you recommend against the Makita, the Bosch is lower
Wattage, less max RPMs and £20 more, everything else is same spec.

I know specs aren't everything, but it's the only thing I have to guage them
against...

Opinions?

Bosch are useless, that's my opinion. Everyone I've worked with have
had bosch and they're always falling to pieces. Definitely a make to
steer clear of.
I have managed to convert quite a few people after loaning them my
Makita's. The 24V cordless is usually the one that brings them back
from the dark side!

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Andy Hall

wrote:

Looking at the Bosch you recommend against the Makita, the Bosch is lower
Wattage, less max RPMs and £20 more, everything else is same spec.

I know specs aren't everything, but it's the only thing I have to guage them
against...

Opinions?

Bosch are useless, that's my opinion. Everyone I've worked with have
had bosch and they're always falling to pieces. Definitely a make to
steer clear of.

Well..... I have one of the larger Bosch SDS machines and that has
been very solid indeed

http://www.powertoolwarehouse.co.uk/...products_id/83

I have managed to convert quite a few people after loaning them my
Makita's. The 24V cordless is usually the one that brings them back
from the dark side!

I have several Makita cordless tools - cordless drill etc. and they
are extremely good, I agree.

..

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

G&M

"Seri" wrote in message
So there I am, just about ready to buy a power planer (as asked about in

the
group earlier) when temptation overcomes me and I decide to bite the

bullet
and get an SDS drill whilst I'm at it. I do need one and it will be

getting
a fair ammount or use around the house during my rewire.

After perusing the ScrewFix and Toolstation websites I pretty much have it
down to a choice of two:
Makita 2kg SDS - 780w - 1100rpm - 4500bpm - 2.4kg = £120
DeWalt 2kg SDS Plus - 650w - 1100rpm - 4200bpm - 2.4kg = £110

Neither - get the slightly more expensive 2kg DeWalt (the 566 ?) with the
rotary stop function. Essential for chiselling blocks in half, removing
plaster or knocking the odd wall down when the warranty people aren't
looking :-)

RichardS

"BIGEYE" wrote in message
Makita wins every time. I work in heavy industry and always use Makita

power
tools. They last for years. On the other hand, other members of our team
have used DeWalt amongst other brands and have been most disappointed with
performance & reliability.

Just remember that DW is B&D in disguise.

Depends - they bought in Elu as well, which were definitely good tools.

I rate my router highly - a DW621K - but the low end circular saw DW62 is a
POS , IMHO of course. Had to get the JB Weld out after only 13 months light
use of it to re-attach the fan assembly to the armature. Was going to be a
£70 repair otherwise.

My favourite amongst the trade/industrial brands is Atlas Copco (aka
Milwaukee). Both the cordless drill/driver and the jigsaw that I have can't
be faulted. Not many places stock them though.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

RichardS

"Seri" wrote in message
[...]

Assume these are the DW566K and HR2440 models that you're talking about?

A lot of people here rate the DW highly, but I think that the Makita was
released more recently and seems to have the edge.

The spec you're looking for from an SDS drill is the impact energy - 0-2.4J
in the case of the DW and 2.7 in the case of the Makita. When I get round
to getting an SDS drill the Makita's probably the one that I would go with
at the price point.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

RichardS

In case these aren't the DW566K and HR2440 (which both have rotary stops
which is pretty darned useful) then the prices may not be that good.

D&M tools do them both & they're normally quite competitive:

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/store/brow...n=4551&level=4

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Seri

Those were the models. I had a quick look at the dm-tools website and the
Makita would be £5 cheaper, the only problem is that they don't also stock a
'cheap-as-chips' power planer, meaning paying postage to ScrewFix this
costing more than the initial saving.

Still, a good website to bookmark for future comparisons.

Thanks )

Seri

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..

In case these aren't the DW566K and HR2440 (which both have rotary stops
which is pretty darned useful) then the prices may not be that good.

D&M tools do them both & they're normally quite competitive:

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/store/brow...n=4551&level=4

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

RichardS

"Seri" wrote in message
Those were the models. I had a quick look at the dm-tools website and the
Makita would be £5 cheaper, the only problem is that they don't also stock

'cheap-as-chips' power planer, meaning paying postage to ScrewFix this
costing more than the initial saving.

Still, a good website to bookmark for future comparisons.

Thanks )

Seri

I'm fortunate to have them as my local toolshop, not good on the wallet if
you set foot in the door though.

Yes, they don't do own-brands, NuTool, Kress, Ferm and the likes. Small
selection of DIY B&D stuff, but that's about it (and stern warnings about
trade use of them and the likelyhood of refunds!!!).

I agree, you've got to look at the total price of the order, which kind of
swings it in this case.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

G&M

"Seri" wrote in message
Both the DeWalt and the Makita that I'm looking at have a rotary stop
function (or at least the websites say they do).

Then £110 is a good price for the 566.

My one complaint on the 566 is it sounds like a Scalextrix toy whereas the
Makita and my old Boschhammer sound like they are struggling less under
heavy load. Also the 566 seems to have a higher frequency hammer which
works better on some items but not on others.

But Bosch's repair service is crap which is why I stopped getting their
stuff.

John Rumm

RichardS wrote:

Assume these are the DW566K and HR2440 models that you're talking about?

The Makita that screwfix do for 119 is the HR2450

--
Cheers,

John.

StealthUK

When I was shopping around for a Cordless drill the feedback I got
from tool shops gave Makita the thumbs up against DeWalt. I ended up
getting a Panasonic in the end which is a lovely piece of kit. Don't
know if they do an SDS drill though!

Seri

Okay, so the amazing creeping feature creature has crept into my ScrewFix
purchase.
I realised that the purchase of an SDS drill would require new SDS Drill
Bits.
To use the SDS drill for sinking the sockets in the wall it was probably
sensible to get a Electricians Box Sinker set (bloody £190!!!!).
Long story short, my ScrewFix basket now contains £375 worth of stuff, but
most importantly it has a:
MAKITA 2KG SDS ROTARY HAMMER 240V

I just need to get signoff from SWMBO before I click the purchase button.

Thanks for all the help from everyone in the group and I'll be letting you
know how I get on with it.

Thanks.

Seri

---- Deletia ----
Is the DeWalt brand better than the Makita brand or vice versa?

Sorry to pester the group over this, and any responses are appreciated.

Thanks

Seri

G&M

"Seri" wrote in message
Okay, so the amazing creeping feature creature has crept into my ScrewFix
purchase.
I realised that the purchase of an SDS drill would require new SDS Drill
Bits.
To use the SDS drill for sinking the sockets in the wall it was probably
sensible to get a Electricians Box Sinker set (bloody £190!!!!).

If you've got an SDS drill and a good chisel head you can cut out any shape
you want with it. I looked at getting the box sinker as most of mine have
to be set in stone but glad I didn't bother.

Conversely if you're an electrician and doing this day in, day out, that's
another matter.

RichardS

"Seri" wrote in message
Okay, so the amazing creeping feature creature has crept into my ScrewFix
purchase.
I realised that the purchase of an SDS drill would require new SDS Drill
Bits.
To use the SDS drill for sinking the sockets in the wall it was probably
sensible to get a Electricians Box Sinker set (bloody £190!!!!).snip

ye gods! how many sockets are you planning to sink?

don't know that this is strictly necessary - you should be able to do this
adequantely with a flat chisel bit.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Seri

Change of plans, before I approached the significant other I decided to
scrap the box sinking set and just get 20mm 40mm and 80mm SDS chisels, £32
instead of £190, definitely more palatable.

I was seriously tempted by the thought of the box sinking set as my previous
attempts and sinking them using a cold chisel were less than satisfactory...

---

"Seri" wrote in message
Okay, so the amazing creeping feature creature has crept into my

ScrewFix
purchase.
I realised that the purchase of an SDS drill would require new SDS Drill
Bits.
To use the SDS drill for sinking the sockets in the wall it was probably
sensible to get a Electricians Box Sinker set (bloody £190!!!!).snip

ye gods! how many sockets are you planning to sink?

don't know that this is strictly necessary - you should be able to do this
adequantely with a flat chisel bit.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Andy Hall

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:02:56 GMT, "Seri"
wrote:

Change of plans, before I approached the significant other I decided to
scrap the box sinking set and just get 20mm 40mm and 80mm SDS chisels, £32
instead of £190, definitely more palatable.

I was seriously tempted by the thought of the box sinking set as my previous
attempts and sinking them using a cold chisel were less than satisfactory...

---
Seri

This is the point where you present the lower cost alternative along
with the higher one and demonstrate how much money you've saved.

Women are adept at this.....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

In article , Seri
writes
[...]

I'd get the Hilti TE5 or TE6.
One month credit if account is opened can pay by credit card giving
effectively two months credit. If one pays one's credit card bill on
time this is quite efficient credit.
Remove all Zeds in e-mail address to reply.

makita saw Nick Brooks UK diy 7 February 3rd 04 04:57 PM
Dewalt or Makita? Jon Read UK diy 7 August 18th 03 10:00 AM
Threaded flange for deWalt angle grinder Hamish Marson UK diy 2 August 9th 03 04:15 PM
Another toolkit question Andrew McKay UK diy 32 July 15th 03 12:15 AM