Grunff

Default SDS - DeWalt or Makita & Difference between SDS & SDS Plus

Seri wrote:

So there I am, just about ready to buy a power planer (as asked about in the
group earlier) when temptation overcomes me and I decide to bite the bullet
and get an SDS drill whilst I'm at it. I do need one and it will be getting
a fair ammount or use around the house during my rewire.

After perusing the ScrewFix and Toolstation websites I pretty much have it
down to a choice of two:
Makita 2kg SDS - 780w - 1100rpm - 4500bpm - 2.4kg = £120
DeWalt 2kg SDS Plus - 650w - 1100rpm - 4200bpm - 2.4kg = £110

I have the DeWalt and am very happy with it, but I think if I was
choosing between those two today I'd buy the Makita.

the Makita has a higher rated bpm, but does that actually matter that much?

Not really.

the Makita has a higher rated wattage, does that actually matter?

Yes, this is what would swing it for me.

the Makita is listed in the 'SDS Plus' section of the ScrewFix website, can
I presume that it is 'SDS Plus'?
does 'SDS Plus' matter, or are all SDS drills 'SDS Plus'?

Both of these tools are SDS Plus. There is another standard, SDS Max,
but this is much bigger.

Is the DeWalt brand better than the Makita brand or vice versa?

Baaaad question! Tut tut.

--
Grunff