Jon Read

Default Dewalt or Makita?

Hi all,

I'm going to buy myself a shiny new SDS drill, after getting totally fed
up with the bulk of my cheapo Argos Challenge one (7.5Kg!).

I'm trying to chose between the Dewalt DW566K (around 140 quid) and the
Makita HR2450 (around 125).

Can anyone give me opinions on one or t'other? I've heard good things
about both. Specs on the Makita seem a little better, but which is
better made?

TIA,
Jon

StevieBoy

Doesn't answer your question, but would you consider Bosch?

Steve
Mark Fry

Try the Makita, I ve had a Mak now for close on 14 years with constant daily
use, I did try Dewalt once but it didn't stand the test of time, so I went
back to Makita....
"StevieBoy" no@email wrote in message
Doesn't answer your question, but would you consider Bosch?

Steve

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Jon Read wrote:
I'm trying to chose between the Dewalt DW566K (around 140 quid) and the
Makita HR2450 (around 125).

Think you'll find there are a few DW 566 owned by people here - perhaps
because it was about the first affordable quality one. I've no complaints
with mine.

--
*With her marriage she got a new name and a dress.*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Toby

Dave Plowman wrote:
Think you'll find there are a few DW 566 owned by people here -
perhaps because it was about the first affordable quality one. I've
no complaints with mine.

I can only speak for the DW566, but am totally happy with it bar one
exception.
The forward / reverse switch is right above the trigger, I have _one time
only_ sworn at a hole only to discover I was drilling it in reverse. An
error caused by the ease the switch can be knocked. Simplest plus points -
the long cable meaning most tasks can be accomplished without needing the
extension reel.
You'll rarely go back to your heavyweight bruiser.

Toby.

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 20:03:11 +0100, Jon Read wrote:

Hi all,

I'm going to buy myself a shiny new SDS drill, after getting totally fed
up with the bulk of my cheapo Argos Challenge one (7.5Kg!).

I'm trying to chose between the Dewalt DW566K (around 140 quid) and the
Makita HR2450 (around 125).

The Makita is a class act, the other is a B&D.

---

Simon

"Jon Read" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm going to buy myself a shiny new SDS drill, after getting totally fed
up with the bulk of my cheapo Argos Challenge one (7.5Kg!).

I'm trying to chose between the Dewalt DW566K (around 140 quid) and the
Makita HR2450 (around 125).

Can anyone give me opinions on one or t'other? I've heard good things
about both. Specs on the Makita seem a little better, but which is
better made?

TIA,
Jon

or Hitachi? ... I don't like DeWalt .....a couple of problems with some of
the DeWalt tools I have, have not been dealt with well. I have a Hitachi
Cordless that has out lived 2 DeWalts, even after being dropped in a bucket
of 2 part PU foam.

Jon Read

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. I think I'll go for the
Makita - once my hands and arms have recovered from using the Challenge!

Cheers,
Jon