Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vacuum from a 12v tyre inflator?

I have a need to create a slight vacuum and I have one of those cheap,
12v car tyre inflators unused in my workshop. They obviously have a
pressure output port, anyone know it is likely to have an internal
suction port I could repurpose?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2019 14:27, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have a need to create a slight vacuum and I have one of those cheap,
12v car tyre inflators unused in my workshop. They obviously have a
pressure output port, anyone know it is likely to have an internal
suction port I could repurpose?

Not usually IME. Is an ordinary vacuum cleaner any good? Probably only a
psi or so. I have a cheap manual pump from ebay that does better, but
still not a physicists' vacuum. IIRC some people have used old
compressors out of fridges/freezers to get a better vacuum.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2019 14:50, newshound wrote:
On 02/11/2019 14:27, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have a need to create a slight vacuum and I have one of those cheap,
12v car tyre inflators unused in my workshop. They obviously have a
pressure output port, anyone know it is likely to have an internal
suction port I could repurpose?

Not usually IME. Is an ordinary vacuum cleaner any good? Probably only a
psi or so. I have a cheap manual pump from ebay that does better, but
still not a physicists' vacuum. IIRC some people have used old
compressors out of fridges/freezers to get a better vacuum.

About a tenth of an atmosphere, according to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-FqKxE9ttY
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote :
Not usually IME. Is an ordinary vacuum cleaner any good? Probably only a psi
or so. I have a cheap manual pump from ebay that does better, but still not a
physicists' vacuum. IIRC some people have used old compressors out of
fridges/freezers to get a better vacuum.

A vacuum cleaner might do it, but I was looking for something a bit
smaller and less cumbersome. I'm just starting beer and wine making
again, after several decades absence. The vacuum is suggested to aid
drawing the dissolved CO2 out, before bottling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Nov 2019 14:27:39 GMT, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

I have a need to create a slight vacuum and I have one of those cheap,
12v car tyre inflators unused in my workshop. They obviously have a
pressure output port, anyone know it is likely to have an internal
suction port I could repurpose?

Tyre inflator pumps (the cheap sort) are not rated for continuous use
and fail fairly quickly even assuming you can find a useable input
port.

A diaphragm pump such as https://is.gd/qLJtgl might be better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try a sex aids shop!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2019 15:19, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
newshound wrote :
Not usually IME. Is an ordinary vacuum cleaner any good? Probably only
a psi or so. I have a cheap manual pump from ebay that does better,
but still not a physicists' vacuum. IIRC some people have used old
compressors out of fridges/freezers to get a better vacuum.

A vacuum cleaner might do it, but I was looking for something a bit
smaller and less cumbersome. I'm just starting beer and wine making
again, after several decades absence. The vacuum is suggested to aid
drawing the dissolved CO2 out, before bottling.

I'm not convinced that a vacuum cleaner is going to do much for you in
that case.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
I have a need to create a slight vacuum and I have one of those cheap,
12v car tyre inflators unused in my workshop. They obviously have a
pressure output port, anyone know it is likely to have an internal
suction port I could repurpose?

Get a non return valve in the line between the compressor and what ever
your vacuum is in , and reverse the
polarity of the supply to the motor. It is almost certain to be a simple
permanent magnet motor and will run backwards.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2019 18:58, Marland wrote:
Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
I have a need to create a slight vacuum and I have one of those cheap,
12v car tyre inflators unused in my workshop. They obviously have a
pressure output port, anyone know it is likely to have an internal
suction port I could repurpose?

Get a non return valve in the line between the compressor and what ever
your vacuum is in , and reverse the
polarity of the supply to the motor. It is almost certain to be a simple
permanent magnet motor and will run backwards.

Plenty of Youtube videos showing what is inside
Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vNOYmCp4xQ

There are other videos showing more dis-assembly and indicate that they
probably could not be easily modified.

Note: I've had one fail - what failed the plastic piston which gets very
hot with prolonged use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2019 20:38, alan_m wrote:

There are other videos showing more dis-assembly and indicate that they
probably could not be easily modified.

on the other hand.....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-Mi...AOSwN5Fc3i~ h

or

https://tinyurl.com/yy52e5h9

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2019 15:19, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The vacuum is suggested to aid drawing the dissolved CO2 out, before
bottling.

Can't you just suck? It's not as if there's much volume.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m used his keyboard to write :
Plenty of Youtube videos showing what is inside
Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vNOYmCp4xQ

There are other videos showing more dis-assembly and indicate that they
probably could not be easily modified.

Thanks - I have found a way to modify one....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWzzttw4SuE

Its not for continuous use, just long enough to pull a bit of vacuum in
a demi-john or a 5 gallon container for a few seconds, then release.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 3, 2019 at 7:04:14 AM UTC+8, wrote:
alan_m used his keyboard to write :
Plenty of Youtube videos showing what is inside
Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vNOYmCp4xQ

There are other videos showing more dis-assembly and indicate that they
probably could not be easily modified.

Thanks - I have found a way to modify one....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWzzttw4SuE

Its not for continuous use, just long enough to pull a bit of vacuum in
a demi-john or a 5 gallon container for a few seconds, then release.

Is it necessary? I've never come across any home brewers who do this.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 02 Nov 2019 15:19:24 GMT, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

newshound wrote :
Not usually IME. Is an ordinary vacuum cleaner any good? Probably only a
psi
or so. I have a cheap manual pump from ebay that does better, but still
not a
physicists' vacuum. IIRC some people have used old compressors out of
fridges/freezers to get a better vacuum.

A vacuum cleaner might do it, but I was looking for something a bit
smaller and less cumbersome. I'm just starting beer and wine making
again, after several decades absence. The vacuum is suggested to aid
drawing the dissolved CO2 out, before bottling.

What sort of beer volume are you talking about?

No reason to remove dissolved CO2 from beer, more likely it's the wine, not
the beer.

Can't be that large,
surely. How about a little hand-pump used for taking the air out of
bottles of wine to stop them oxidising after opening?
https://tinyurl.com/yygpow8b
Or a hand-operated bilge pump?
https://tinyurl.com/y6f9vc39

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m... 123314641018

Posted to uk.d-i-y

However it very much depends on how the air intake works. I guess you might
be able to make a seal around the device in some way so only the out going
air is going to the outside world and everything else is connected to a
pipe.
I do hope none of what you are trying to suck out is liquid or flammable or
there might be a nasty accident. Somebody I know had an old vacuum cleaner
which he removed the filters from and tried to use it to remove gas and it
caught fire and melted its compressor due to the gas or vapour being
flammable and the motor being a brushed type.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
Unlikely, I'd have thought.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in
message ...
I have a need to create a slight vacuum and I have one of those cheap, 12v
car tyre inflators unused in my workshop. They obviously have a pressure
output port, anyone know it is likely to have an internal suction port I
could repurpose?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 2 November 2019 14:27:43 UTC, wrote:
I have a need to create a slight vacuum and I have one of those cheap,
12v car tyre inflators unused in my workshop. They obviously have a
pressure output port, anyone know it is likely to have an internal
suction port I could repurpose?

Yes.
The alternative is a domestic refrigerator compressor which will pull a near vacuum.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I do hope none of what you are trying to suck out is liquid or flammable or
there might be a nasty accident. Somebody I know had an old vacuum cleaner
which he removed the filters from and tried to use it to remove gas and it
caught fire and melted its compressor due to the gas or vapour being
flammable and the motor being a brushed type.

The video showed an electric motor driving a small piston, there were
two one way valves in the cylinder, one in, the other out, modification
consisted of cutting off the pipework from the output side and attaching
new pipework to the inlet side ... the gas doesn't get sucked through
the motor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Nov 2019 11:14:33 +1100, Chang, better known as cantankerous

A vacuum cleaner might do it, but I was looking for something a bit
smaller and less cumbersome. I'm just starting beer and wine making
again, after several decades absence. The vacuum is suggested to aid
drawing the dissolved CO2 out, before bottling.

What sort of beer volume are you talking about?

No reason to remove dissolved CO2 from beer, more likely it's the wine, not
the beer.

In auto-contradicting mode again, you clinically insane auto-contradicting
85-year-old senile pest? LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2019 23:53, Tim+ wrote:

Is it necessary? I've never come across any home brewers who do this.

Often its a good thing in beer,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 02/11/2019 23:53, Tim+ wrote:

Is it necessary? I've never come across any home brewers who do this.

Often its a good thing in beer,

No point in removing dissolved CO2 with beer
and given he is talking about a demijohn or 5l
flagon, it wont be beer, it will be wine. The is a
reason to remove dissolved CO2 with still wine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 04:41:41 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

No point in removing dissolved CO2

You trolling cretin need to be dissolved ...as soon as possible!

--
Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Nov 2019 17:38:44 +0000, newshound wrote:

I'm not convinced that a vacuum cleaner is going to do much for you in
that case.

Indeed, Newsy. And for very small volumes like this, some sort of hand
operated pump would be far more effective and convenient.

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Nov 2019 18:58:48 GMT, Marland
wrote:

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
I have a need to create a slight vacuum and I have one of those cheap,
12v car tyre inflators unused in my workshop. They obviously have a
pressure output port, anyone know it is likely to have an internal
suction port I could repurpose?

Get a non return valve in the line between the compressor and what ever
your vacuum is in , and reverse the
polarity of the supply to the motor. It is almost certain to be a simple
permanent magnet motor and will run backwards.

GH

Reversing the motor will have no effect, as it just drives a
reciprocating piston in a tube with non-reverse valves to create
blowing rather than sucking.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
I have a need to create a slight vacuum and I have one of those cheap,
12v car tyre inflators unused in my workshop. They obviously have a
pressure output port, anyone know it is likely to have an internal
suction port I could repurpose?

Get a non return valve in the line between the compressor and what ever
your vacuum is in , and reverse the
polarity of the supply to the motor. It is almost certain to be a simple
permanent magnet motor and will run backwards.

GH

Reversing the motor will have no effect, as it just drives a
reciprocating piston in a tube with non-reverse valves to create
blowing rather than sucking.

Probably the case , I thought after I pressed send it was too simplistic
and rather than add a NRV he should see if the existing one can be turned
around.

Looks like the OP has found a solution anyway.
Personally I would get a cheap aquarium air pump as they are very easy to
reverse the valves on and no faffing around with getting 12 volts, just
plug it in .

GH