Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 12v Tyre inflator/compressor recommendations

My £8.99 unit purchased from Halfords several years ago has died. It
looks remarkably like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...CS3TRDE7BA71A0

and my next door neighbour coincidentally had a very similar unit
which he lent to me which I think was RAC branded.

Anyway I need a replacement for mine and recommendations would be
handy.

A few notes from various comments I've read on reviews etc:

1) It seems some are now screw on which seems rather hard work
compared to the thumb lock connector

2) I would like to do my bicycle tyres too. Presta valves.

3) If any come with an accurate tyre gauge that would be handy.
However I tend to go round the car over-inflating then use a tyre
gauge whose accuracy I know to reduce to the correct pressure.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:

Anyway I need a replacement for mine and recommendations would be
handy.

I have one of these

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/tyre-inflators-pressure-gauges/halfords-rapid-digital-tyre-inflator

I doubt I paid that much for it about 8 years ago, it does have screw-on
end, but I find that ok compared to the 90° cam lever type, gauge is
accurate.

I wish I'd 'accidentally' kept the compressor that was standard
equipment on the Honda I used to own.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

I wish I'd 'accidentally' kept the compressor that was standard
equipment on the Honda I used to own.

Which was very similar to this

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/tyre-inflators-pressure-gauges/ring-heavy-duty-tyre-inflator-rac900
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 13:09:47 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

AnthonyL wrote:

Anyway I need a replacement for mine and recommendations would be
handy.

I have one of these

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/tyre-inflators-pressure-gauges/halfords-rapid-digital-tyre-inflator

I doubt I paid that much for it about 8 years ago, it does have screw-on
end, but I find that ok compared to the 90° cam lever type, gauge is
accurate.

The comment I came across with screw-on is that it was impossible to
remove without losing air - is that not the case?

And, does "Range of adaptors included to inflate balls, toys and other
inflatable items" include Presta bicycle valves?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2018 13:04, AnthonyL wrote:
My £8.99 unit purchased from Halfords several years ago has died. It
looks remarkably like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...CS3TRDE7BA71A0

and my next door neighbour coincidentally had a very similar unit
which he lent to me which I think was RAC branded.

Anyway I need a replacement for mine and recommendations would be
handy.

A few notes from various comments I've read on reviews etc:

1) It seems some are now screw on which seems rather hard work
compared to the thumb lock connector

2) I would like to do my bicycle tyres too. Presta valves.

3) If any come with an accurate tyre gauge that would be handy.
However I tend to go round the car over-inflating then use a tyre
gauge whose accuracy I know to reduce to the correct pressure.

I just bung a really cheap halfords one in the back of the car.

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...-tyre-inflator

My bike tyree are identical so screw on isn't a problem. The motrors are
a bit weedy so they take longer to inflate than connect, anyway.

its shoes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
My £8.99 unit purchased from Halfords several years ago has died. It
looks remarkably like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...CS3TRDE7BA71A0

and my next door neighbour coincidentally had a very similar unit
which he lent to me which I think was RAC branded.

Anyway I need a replacement for mine and recommendations would be
handy.

A few notes from various comments I've read on reviews etc:

1) It seems some are now screw on which seems rather hard work
compared to the thumb lock connector

2) I would like to do my bicycle tyres too. Presta valves.

3) If any come with an accurate tyre gauge that would be handy.
However I tend to go round the car over-inflating then use a tyre
gauge whose accuracy I know to reduce to the correct pressure.

I've got two. One runs from a car battery - the other is part of a jump
start pack which I tend to use most as it's so easy. Both have got
hopeless gauges for car tyres. Too inaccurate. I'd guess because they can
read very much higher for bicycle etc tyres.

I also have one which came with my car - no spare wheel. That has a very
accurate inline gauge. (the others are built into the body) But since it
also plugs into the car battery, not so handy as the cordless one.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2018 13:09, Andy Burns wrote:
AnthonyL wrote:

Anyway I need a replacement for mine and recommendations would be
handy.

I have one of these

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/tyre-inflators-pressure-gauges/halfords-rapid-digital-tyre-inflator

Yes I have one of they and it is good. I also have one of these
https://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...nflator-rac900
for the motorhome. It's absolutely super. Well worth the money.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2018 13:12, Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

I wish I'd 'accidentally' kept the compressor that was standard
equipment on the Honda I used to own.

Which was very similar to this

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/tyre-inflators-pressure-gauges/ring-heavy-duty-tyre-inflator-rac900

I meant to say that this type draws a lot of current. Not really
suitable for cigar lighter connectors unless they are adequately fused.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:

Anyway I need a replacement for mine and recommendations would be
handy.

I have one of these

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/tyre-inflators-pressure-gauges/halfords-rapid-digital-tyre-inflator

Yes I have one of they and it is good. I also have one of these
https://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...nflator-rac900

for the motorhome. It's absolutely super. Well worth the money.

Bill

I have something very similar to the second for my Renault Master
horse-box. Mine has a double piston, it looks like that one does not.

The cheap ones sometimes on offer with petrol are a bit weedy for cars
IMHO. The one which comes with my Honda is sort of in-between as someone
else said.

That said, my "big" one cooked its fuse last time I used it, and one of
the croc clips fell off. On investigation the soldering of both parts
was very inadequate. No problem to the average follower of this NG of
course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:

[...]

Mine is very like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audew-Infla...+tyre+pump+12v

half the price of the Ring.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

I meant to say that this type draws a lot of current.

I make a point of running the engine while using it

Not really
suitable for cigar lighter connectors unless they are adequately fused.

Never blown one yet, generally run the inflator from the 'cigar' socket
in the boot, maybe they expect you to pull plenty of juice from that one?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audew-Infla...+tyre+pump+12v

half the price of the Ring.

Looks good, but I think the 'digital dial' is a lie ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Andy Burns wrote:

I wish I'd 'accidentally' kept the compressor that was standard
equipment on the Honda I used to own.

Which was very similar to this

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-to.../tyre-inflator
s-pressure-gauges/ring-heavy-duty-tyre-inflator-rac900

I meant to say that this type draws a lot of current. Not really
suitable for cigar lighter connectors unless they are adequately fused.

I have a selection of cheapish inflators. When I had to pump up the
tyres on a 4-Land-Rover-wheeled trailer, I used an Aldi 4-way cigar
lighter adapter as an extension cable for one of them.

It got too hot to touch, and its cable insulation started to melt.
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
lid says...

My £8.99 unit purchased from Halfords several years ago has died. It
looks remarkably like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...CS3TRDE7BA71A0

and my next door neighbour coincidentally had a very similar unit
which he lent to me which I think was RAC branded.

I've got an identical one - not sure where I bought it or what
brand it is (and I can't be bothered to go out in the cold and
find out!)

Your over-inflate and deflate method with a known accurate
gauge is the same as I do.

Before we moved, I used to use it in the street and, as it
wandered round due to vibration, when I did the wheels on the
kerb side of the car, it would invariably post itself onto the
gutter and up against the tyre!

If I needed to replace it, I'd be happy with that Silverline
one but if you want to go up-market, that's entirely up to
you.

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I recently bought a Ring RAC900 and I like it a lot. It's very fast (flat to 30psi in a car tyre in something like 60 seconds). Aside from the price (which does seem to reflect quality, in this product), the main drawback is that you ought not to use it via a ciggie lighter socket; current draw can exceed wiring/fuse capability of such sockets, as others have said.

I run my Ring RAC900 from a deep discharge tolerant Yuasa gel battery and it works well. The little Yuasa fits in the holdall that the pump comes with, so it all makes a very convenient package.

The overall price tag of pump plus battery might seem a bit much for some, but I simply became exasperated by footpumps failing on me and cheap leccie ones being just useless.

What is it with footpumps falling apart? I remember my dad, more than 30 years ago, swearing that he would never buy another Halfords footpump (but he did, because all other options were just as crap). I have spent the last 30 years following in my father's footsteps in this regard. I actually kept a back-up, brand new pump, still in its box, in the boot. Low tyre pressure a few weeks back and my main pump fell to bits, so the back-up came into play....only it didn't. No falling to bits this time, but no delivery of air, either! That was the last straw.

Ant .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2018 13:04, AnthonyL wrote:
My £8.99 unit purchased from Halfords several years ago has died. It
looks remarkably like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...CS3TRDE7BA71A0

and my next door neighbour coincidentally had a very similar unit
which he lent to me which I think was RAC branded.

Anyway I need a replacement for mine and recommendations would be
handy.

I just purchased a "used" one (branded Vauxhall) from Ebay that
previously had been supplied with a car with no spare tyre.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 December 2018 15:18:57 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audew-Infla...+tyre+pump+12v

half the price of the Ring.

Looks good, but I think the 'digital dial' is a lie ...

well, it's got digits on it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 December 2018 17:09:31 UTC, wrote:

[...]

sticking a few drops of oil into them often works. It does the job of piston rings.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2018 13:04, AnthonyL wrote:
My £8.99 unit purchased from Halfords several years ago has died. It
looks remarkably like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...CS3TRDE7BA71A0

and my next door neighbour coincidentally had a very similar unit
which he lent to me which I think was RAC branded.

Anyway I need a replacement for mine and recommendations would be
handy.

A few notes from various comments I've read on reviews etc:

1) It seems some are now screw on which seems rather hard work
compared to the thumb lock connector

2) I would like to do my bicycle tyres too. Presta valves.

3) If any come with an accurate tyre gauge that would be handy.
However I tend to go round the car over-inflating then use a tyre
gauge whose accuracy I know to reduce to the correct pressure.

I have 2 of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01H6DHN2G

Seems accurate compared to my tyre pressure gauge and being able to set
a target pressure is nice. Compact and comes with a simple zip around case.

--
Email does not work

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2018 15:08, Andy Burns wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

I meant to say that this type draws a lot of current.

I make a point of running the engine while using it

Not really suitable for cigar lighter connectors unless they are
adequately fused.

Never blown one yet, generally run the inflator from the 'cigar' socket
in the boot, maybe they expect you to pull plenty of juice from that one?

I can't remember the current that was drawn. It blew a 5A fuse serving
the cigar lighter but I think not a 10A one?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Seems accurate compared to my tyre pressure gauge and being able to
set a target pressure is nice. Compact and comes with a simple zip
around case.

I have used a twin barreled footpump for many years. I uase a separate
digital gauge. Matching the pressures on an axle is more important than
absolute accuracy. Repeatability.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 December 2018 13:04:21 UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
My £8.99 unit purchased from Halfords several years ago has died. It
looks remarkably like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...CS3TRDE7BA71A0

and my next door neighbour coincidentally had a very similar unit
which he lent to me which I think was RAC branded.

Anyway I need a replacement for mine and recommendations would be
handy.

A few notes from various comments I've read on reviews etc:

1) It seems some are now screw on which seems rather hard work
compared to the thumb lock connector

2) I would like to do my bicycle tyres too. Presta valves.

3) If any come with an accurate tyre gauge that would be handy.
However I tend to go round the car over-inflating then use a tyre
gauge whose accuracy I know to reduce to the correct pressure.

--
AnthonyL

ISTM they are all pretty much ****. Buy and throw away. They are not intended for regular use just something to use if you notice your tyre is a bit flat.
Saves you getting the spare out.
Assuming you have one these days.
Mine has an assortment of adaptors which I have never used.
It has an LED pressure display which seems pretty much accurate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 21:32:46 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

I have used a twin barreled footpump for many years. I uase a separate
digital gauge.

Had one of those, getting a seal on the valve stem was trickly until
I found a small O ring... then the plastic nozzle broke. Now use an
all metal plunger type.

Matching the pressures on an axle is more important than absolute
accuracy. Repeatability.

Agreed numbers are just numbers, repeatability so an indicated 35
always represents the same absolute pressure. Also need to get the
pressure right for even tyre wear.

The last two cars I've had the "book" front pressures have been 2 psi
too low for even tyre wear. At the book pressure both shoulders wore
faster than the middle, noticable after a 1000 miles or so, obvious
after 3k. 2 psi above "book" pressure and wear is even across the
full tread width. The "book" pressure for the rears is correct when
set with the same gauge as used for the front, os it's not the gauge.

Also need to keep half an eye on the ambient temperature as well.
Correct tyre pressure when "cold" in the summer at 20+ C, won't give
the correct tyre pressure in the winter when "cold" at 0 C... That
sort of ambient temperature range makes about 3 psi difference on my
releatively high voloume tyres. Checked last week, in the cold and
all four where about 3 psi low, IIRC one has a very slow leak but all
four all suddenly gaining an identical slow leak, I don't think so...

Having large volume tyres I've got a somewhat chunkier electric pump
than most (a cheapy didn't survive running for 10 minutes/tyre to top
up a few psi). Sealey MAC2300.

--
Cheers
Dave.