Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Compressor / inflator recommendations

I am considering buying an inflatable poolside water slide something
like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-58851-Wa...pd_sim_dbs_t_2

I'll need some way to inflate it. I suppose the vacuum cleaner could
be used, but I have been meaning to buy a portable compressor for
inflating tires (bike, car, dolly), balls, etc. I might use it to run
a nail gun, but that would be limited duty and may not happen. I will
not be using it for continuous use of spray gun or air sanders or the
like. It might come in handy to blow out dust and dirt.

It looks like there are two basic choices: inflaters and compressors.

1. Inflaters. These are intended for inflating tires and balls. These
tend to be smaller and cheaper, but most of them are 12V only, which
would be somewhat inconvenient for backyard use. I checked into
inverters to allow then to use 110VAC, but ones that can deliver
enough amps, are way more than the compressor. One exception is the
B&D.

2. Compressors. There are a lot of these from very small to humongous.
These would clearly do the job, but I'm not sure what fatures I need.

I would appreciate any feedback from people who have actually used any
of these for what I need: mostly inflating things and the very
occasional, limited duty compressor use (nail gun, blower).

What's the smallest tank size I need? I don't mind if I have to wait a
bit.

What's the minimum PSI I can get away with. Touring bike tires require
(I think) 90 psi. My car only needs about 35. I don't know what a
basketball needs. The pool slide would be a lot lower.

Do I want oil luned or oilless? I believe the oil-free are noisier,
but less messy.

What's the minimum air volume (CFPM?) I can get away with? I don't
mind if it takes 10 minutes to inflate the pool slide. I don't want if
to take an hour.

What's an acceptable noise level for backyard residential use? Some
advertise 70-90 dBA.

Am I correct that trying to adapt a 12V unit to run on house current
is a bad idea? It looks like I should go with one that runs on 110VAC.
The B&D is both.

What's the minimum amperage I can get away with. Is 15 amps too much
for most household outlets?

Should I avoid a coiled hose?

Thanks.

Here are some units I am considering. They are more or less in order
of which ones look the best to me:

Porter-Cable C2002 Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor, $146

110VAC, oil-free, 6 gal, 20x18x21, 35 lbs, straight hose, 150 psi, one
reviewer said it was quiet. This looks to be the best of the low-cost,
real compressors.

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-C...lp_edpp_img_in

Black & Decker ASI300 Air Station Inflator, $48.

110VAC or 12V, 6 lbs, settable pressure up to 200 psi with auto
shut-off, lots of good reviews, but several said it is slow and the
tire inflator attachment breaks, one person said it was loud. This
looks to be the best of the inflators mainly because it also runs on
110. I don't know if this could power a nail gin.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-A...1927417&sr=8-1

Dewalt D55140 Heavy Duty 1 Gal, 135 PSI Max, Trim Compressor, $160.

1.0 gal tank, 18x15x11, up to 135 psi, oil-free, 71 bDA, 2.6 amp,
compact, 24 lbs, no hose, can run1 nailer.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D55140-...1943973&sr=1-1
http://www.mytoolstore.com/dewalt/co...rs.html#d55140

Bostitch CAP1516 Trim Air 8 Amp 1-1/2-Horsepower 1.6-Gallon Oil-Free
Camper-Shaped Compressor, $150

8 amp, 1.5 HP, 1.6 gal, oil-free, can run 1 nail gun at moderate pace,
20 lbs.

http://www.amazon.com/Bostitch-CAP15...f=cm_lmf_img_4

Then there are a lot of good 12V inflators, but I think they won't
work for me:

Viair 00073 70P Heavy Duty Portable Compressor, $40
http://www.amazon.com/Viair-00073-He...27417&sr= 8-2
Slime COMP06 Pro Power Heavy-Duty Tire Inflator, $60.
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-COMP06-P...=pd_sbs_auto_6
Master Flow MF-1050 Tsunami High Volume Portable Air Compressor,$80.
http://www.amazon.com/Master-Flow-MF...9422&sr =8-21
Porter Cable 4 Gallon 150 PSI Air Compressor, $275.
http://www.mytoolstore.com/porcab/c2150.html

Viair 00093 90P Portable Air Compressor Kit, $84.
http://www.amazon.com/Viair-00093-90...7417&sr =8-14
Master Flow MF-1040 Cyclone High Volume Portable Air Compressor, $45.
http://www.amazon.com/Master-Flow-MF...27417&sr= 8-4
Viair 30033 300P Portable Air Compressor Kit, $170.
http://www.amazon.com/Viair-30033-30...=pd_sbs_auto_1

PS: If anyone has any experience with inflatable, pool side water
slides, I'd be interested in that as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a Sears cordless inflator which I use for tires and such. I
love it. My first one lasted about 10 years and when the battery died
I just went and got another one of the same model. It would probably
do the job but might take a while.

I also have a new Porter Cable C2002 that I got refurbished through
Amazon for $100. Looks brand new and works great. I use it for a
brad nailer.

They are both really loud. That will be true unless you go with a
more expensive oil compressor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 May 2009 02:01:53 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have a Sears cordless inflator which I use for tires and such. I
love it. My first one lasted about 10 years and when the battery died
I just went and got another one of the same model. It would probably
do the job but might take a while.

Is this it?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...26+Infl ators

That looks like a good choice for tires and balls, but it says it can
only do 2 tires on a charge. I am afraid that it won't be able to
inflate the much larger water slide. Do you agree?

I used to buy a lot of Craftsman tools, but haven't for awhile.

I also have a new Porter Cable C2002 that I got refurbished through
Amazon for $100. Looks brand new and works great. I use it for a
brad nailer.

How do you find refurbished ones?

A new one is only $146:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-C...lp_edpp_img_in

They are both really loud. That will be true unless you go with a
more expensive oil compressor.

Do you mean that the Craftsman cordless is loud?

Several of the reviews on Amazon say that the Porter Cable is not as
loud as some. Of course, that may still be pretty loud.
Posted to alt.home.repair

This is the inflator:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ess+inflat or

I've never run out the battery, but I'm usually raising somewhat-
inflated tires up to pressure instead of starting from 0.

You can get refurbished from Amazon (where I got it) or from
cpoportercable.com. They may have run out. I paid $100 for my
refurb.

They are both loud. This is, of course, subjective, but I don't think
anyone would not think of them as loud. The PC is louder than the
tire inflator, but I've gotten to the point where I won't run either
without hearing protection. My younger ears didn't mind the sound
level when they were young.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 May 2009 01:35:02 -0700, Square Peg
wrote:

I am considering buying an inflatable poolside water slide something
like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-58851-Wa...pd_sim_dbs_t_2

I'll need some way to inflate it. I suppose the vacuum cleaner could
be used, but I have been meaning to buy a portable compressor for
inflating tires (bike, car, dolly), balls, etc.

Use your shop vac to inflate that thing. You want volume, not
pressure. Check the manufacturer, but I'd bet it inflates to a
couple psi.

You still wan. . . er *need* a compressor-- but not for that thing.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am considering buying an inflatable poolside water slide something
like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-58851-Wa...pd_sim_dbs_t_2

I'll need some way to inflate it. I suppose the vacuum cleaner could
be used, but I have been meaning to buy a portable compressor for
inflating tires (bike, car, dolly), balls, etc.

Use your shop vac to inflate that thing. You want volume, not
pressure. Check the manufacturer, but I'd bet it inflates to a
couple psi.

Yeah, that's the say to go. Thanks.

You still wan. . . er *need* a compressor-- but not for that thing.

If I were to get everything I "wan. . . er *need*", I'd first need a
much bigger garage. ;-)

Jim