Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UV Glue any good?

Has anyone tried that UV cure glue?

What's it like, any good?..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 26/10/2019 10:54, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Has anyone tried that UV cure glue?

What's it like, any good?..

It's not "glue" as such it's a liquid plastic resin that sets under UV
light..

I have used it to reattach the lens caps on the LED backlight on a TV
and to fix a broken nose piece on a pair of magnifieying glasses.
Excellent for both of those uses, but how good it is for more mundane
uses? I haven't tried
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Has anyone tried that UV cure glue?

Isn't that what dentists use for setting fillings and attaching crowns
to teeth?

Yes, and re-attaching rear view mirrors to windscreens. Though whether
all these types of UV cured glue are the same, I don't know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2019 12:39, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Has anyone tried that UV cure glue?

Isn't that what dentists use for setting fillings and attaching crowns
to teeth?

Yes, and re-attaching rear view mirrors to windscreens.Â* Though whether
all these types of UV cured glue are the same, I don't know.

And, many years ago, re-attaching the catches to quarterlights.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 26 October 2019 12:39:23 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Has anyone tried that UV cure glue?

Isn't that what dentists use for setting fillings and attaching crowns
to teeth?

Yes, and re-attaching rear view mirrors to windscreens. Though whether
all these types of UV cured glue are the same, I don't know.

Dentists, according to my dentist, now uses a blue light cure - not UV.

I think the UV ones have been phased out, largely due to the impact of UV on the dental staff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 26 October 2019 21:29:50 UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:

I think the UV ones have been phased out, largely due to the impact of UV on the dental staff.

They were using blue light 30 years ago. In those days it was
produced by filtering the light from a quartz halogen projector
lamp before sending it down an optical fibre light pipe.

Nowadays I imagine blue LEDs would be the preferred light source.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 October 2019 07:47:50 UTC, wrote:
On Saturday, 26 October 2019 21:29:50 UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:

I think the UV ones have been phased out, largely due to the impact of UV on the dental staff.

They were using blue light 30 years ago. In those days it was
produced by filtering the light from a quartz halogen projector
lamp before sending it down an optical fibre light pipe.

Nowadays I imagine blue LEDs would be the preferred light source.

John

LEDs are, most certainly, the choice. Gets the exact wavelength required and can easily be run from a battery.