Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wall kettles - any experiences - is the Redring one any good?

We're considering getting a "fixed on the wall" water heater for
instant hot water to use for making coffee and such.

A quick search turns up this:-

http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk...res-2-2kw-240v

which would appear to fulfil our fairly basic requirements and is a
whole lot cheaper than anything else I can find, all the other more
'commercial' devices seem to be well over £200.

We sort of want to try the idea out before spending *lots* of money so
this might be a way to do it. Does anyone have any
experience/knowledge of this device?

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â* Â*http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk...72/redring-cor...

which would appear to fulfil our fairly basic requirements and is a
whole lot cheaper than anything else I can find, all the other more
'commercial' devices seem to be well over £200.

We sort of want to try the idea out before spending *lots* of money so
this might be a way to do it. Does anyone have any
experience/knowledge of this device?

Yes.

(a) they're not instant. It boils when you push the button and then
turns off. How long it takes depends on how warm the water is.

I just realised this after posting the link. That Redring device
isn't one that maintains the water at boiling point like the more
expensive ones.

(b) water can go through repeated boil-keep warm - boil cycles. This
means it isn't fresh

Do you find this actually makes tea (in particular) not taste so good?

(c) when you fill it you have to attach the hose to the cold tap and
watch the level in the wall kettle. Inattention results in water
pouring out the top of the wall kettle and going everywhere.

(d) someone will assume the water coming out of the spout is at hand-
washing temperature when in fact it's near boiling

(e) someone always takes the last of the hot water and doesn't refill
it

Thanks for the comments.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 2, 11:20*am, wrote:
We're considering getting a "fixed on the wall" water heater for
instant hot water to use for making coffee and such.

A quick search turns up this:-

* *http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk...72/redring-cor...

which would appear to fulfil our fairly basic requirements and is a
whole lot cheaper than anything else I can find, all the other more
'commercial' devices seem to be well over £200.

We sort of want to try the idea out before spending *lots* of money so
this might be a way to do it. Does anyone have any
experience/knowledge of this device?

--
Chris Green

The Creda Corvette and it's derivatives have been on the go for forty
years to my knowledge. It's big advantage is that no plumbing is
required.
Safer where children are about, they can't pull it onto their heads.
Leaves more space on the worksurface,
Make sure the hose is long enough and will fit onto your tap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2012 11:20, wrote:
We're considering getting a "fixed on the wall" water heater for
instant hot water to use for making coffee and such.

A quick search turns up this:-

http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk...res-2-2kw-240v

which would appear to fulfil our fairly basic requirements and is a
whole lot cheaper than anything else I can find, all the other more
'commercial' devices seem to be well over £200.

We sort of want to try the idea out before spending *lots* of money so
this might be a way to do it. Does anyone have any
experience/knowledge of this device?

Used these kind of devices in student digs and several company kitchens
since. They're always crap. Doesn't matter whether they're super cheap
or horribly expensive, they always go wrong!

Now we just buy a new kettle every few months when the old one dies.
(Highest power we can, to cut down waits). And yes, I do mean every few
months, it was meant for domestic use not for 20 people!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So why don't they simply modify a power shower device to make hot water
available straight away rather than have a receptacle like a normal kettle?.
I can see that to boil water you might have a safety risk, but if its just
water for washing stuff etc, it sould be fine I'd have thought.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"Owain" wrote in message
On Jan 2, 11:20 am, wrote:
[...]

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 18:06:13 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

So why don't they simply modify a power shower device to make hot water
available straight away rather than have a receptacle like a normal
kettle?. I can see that to boil water you might have a safety risk, but
if its just water for washing stuff etc, it sould be fine I'd have
thought.

Been around for years. Under-sink heaters. As you say, not boiling but...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

We're considering getting a "fixed on the wall" water heater for
instant hot water to use for making coffee and such.

A quick search turns up this:-

http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk...res-2-2kw-240v

That says the minimum amount of water you can boil is a litre, which means a
big waste of money if individual users just want a cupful at a time.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 16:58:59 +0000, Andy Champ
wrote:

Used these kind of devices in student digs and several company kitchens
since. They're always crap. Doesn't matter whether they're super cheap
or horribly expensive, they always go wrong!

At which point they leave screwholes and plumbing/cable entry points
in the wrong place for the replacement ...

:-((

Now we just buy a new kettle every few months when the old one dies.
(Highest power we can, to cut down waits). And yes, I do mean every few
months, it was meant for domestic use not for 20 people!

DerekG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Jan 2012 18:20:49 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 18:06:13 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

So why don't they simply modify a power shower device to make hot water
available straight away rather than have a receptacle like a normal
kettle?. I can see that to boil water you might have a safety risk, but
if its just water for washing stuff etc, it sould be fine I'd have
thought.

Been around for years. Under-sink heaters. As you say, not boiling but...

what power are they? back off a fag packet calculation would indicate that
it would take 40sec (37.something) to get one litre of water near boiling
e.g 95C for 5C supply even using a 10kW heater unless I've missed
something. Flow rate something like 26cm3/sec
--
(º€¢.¸(¨*€¢.¸ ¸.€¢*¨)¸.€¢Âº)
.€¢Â°€¢. Nik .€¢Â°€¢.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ghostrecon" wrote in message

what power are they? back off a fag packet calculation would indicate that
it would take 40sec (37.something) to get one litre of water near boiling
e.g 95C for 5C supply even using a 10kW heater unless I've missed
something. Flow rate something like 26cm3/sec

The under sink heater sitting on the shelf in my shed, doing nothing, stores
water (about 15l IIRC) and uses a 3kW heater.
I don't think you can set it any hotter than about 90C.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 20:35:13 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

"Ghostrecon" wrote in message

what power are they? back off a fag packet calculation would indicate that
it would take 40sec (37.something) to get one litre of water near boiling
e.g 95C for 5C supply even using a 10kW heater unless I've missed
something. Flow rate something like 26cm3/sec

The under sink heater sitting on the shelf in my shed, doing nothing, stores
water (about 15l IIRC) and uses a 3kW heater.
I don't think you can set it any hotter than about 90C.

I was following Brians train of thought with the modified power shower and
hot water on demand with no storage .......
--
(º€¢.¸(¨*€¢.¸ ¸.€¢*¨)¸.€¢Âº)
.€¢Â°€¢. Nik .€¢Â°€¢.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

The under sink heater sitting on the shelf in my shed, doing nothing,
stores water (about 15l IIRC) and uses a 3kW heater. I don't think you
can set it any hotter than about 90C.

Cafe espresso machines also do hot water. Ours can be set from 92 to 97C,
and runs off a 13A wall socket (and water feed). However it has a reservoir
of almost-boiled water which it keeps hot (don't know the volume, but only a
few litres) and brings it back up to temperature after you've just drawn
water. I suspect it also tops up the heating on the water output too (same
machine can do steam out of another nozzle). It makes perfectly good tea.

But it's not exactly a cheap way to go...

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 2, 3:12*pm, wrote:
Owain wrote:
On Jan 2, 11:20*am, wrote:
[...]

You should never boil the water in tea-making unless you are making
chai. If the water isn't safe to drink from the tap, buy bottled
water for tea-making. Coffee isn't so fussy, you can boil the arse
out of the kettle and bad coffee still tastes bad, just don't steep it
so hot. Tea relies on oxygen content in the water to get the nicest
extraction.

(c) when you fill it you have to attach the hose to the cold tap and
watch the level in the wall kettle. Inattention results in water
pouring out the top of the wall kettle and going everywhere.

(d) someone will assume the water coming out of the spout is at hand-
washing temperature when in fact it's near boiling

(e) someone always takes the last of the hot water and doesn't refill
it

Thanks for the comments.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...

Now we just buy a new kettle every few months when the old one dies.
(Highest power we can, to cut down waits). And yes, I do mean every few
months, it was meant for domestic use not for 20 people!

Sounds like you need two kettles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2012 09:47, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...

Now we just buy a new kettle every few months when the old one dies.
(Highest power we can, to cut down waits). And yes, I do mean every
few months, it was meant for domestic use not for 20 people!

Sounds like you need two kettles.

One kettle does the job. But because it's being boiled several times an
hour rather than several times a day it doesn't last as long as it would
in an ordinary home.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 2, 4:58*pm, Andy Champ wrote:
On 02/01/2012 11:20, wrote:

We're considering getting a "fixed on the wall" water heater for
instant hot water to use for making coffee and such.

A quick search turns up this:-

* * *http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk...72/redring-cor...

which would appear to fulfil our fairly basic requirements and is a
whole lot cheaper than anything else I can find, all the other more
'commercial' devices seem to be well over £200.

We sort of want to try the idea out before spending *lots* of money so
this might be a way to do it. Does anyone have any
experience/knowledge of this device?

Used these kind of devices in student digs and several company kitchens
since. *They're always crap. *Doesn't matter whether they're super cheap
or horribly expensive, they always go wrong!

We have zip heaters at work and they are fine apart from needing the
occasional descale.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 02:44:27 -0800, Man at B&Q wrote:

On Jan 2, 4:58Â*pm, Andy Champ wrote:
On 02/01/2012 11:20, wrote:

We're considering getting a "fixed on the wall" water heater for
instant hot water to use for making coffee and such.

A quick search turns up this:-

Â* Â* Â*http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk....php/20679372/

redring-cor...

which would appear to fulfil our fairly basic requirements and is a
whole lot cheaper than anything else I can find, all the other more
'commercial' devices seem to be well over £200.

We sort of want to try the idea out before spending *lots* of money
so this might be a way to do it. Does anyone have any
experience/knowledge of this device?

Used these kind of devices in student digs and several company kitchens
since. Â*They're always crap. Â*Doesn't matter whether they're super
cheap or horribly expensive, they always go wrong!

We have zip heaters at work and they are fine apart from needing the
occasional descale.

So do we. OK if you don't want properly brewed tea.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 18:06:13 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

So why don't they simply modify a power shower device to make hot water
available straight away rather than have a receptacle like a normal kettle?.
I can see that to boil water you might have a safety risk, but if its just
water for washing stuff etc, it sould be fine I'd have thought.

I have several old - but perfectly serviceable - electric showers; I
intend to use one of them in that role for my workshop sink for
handwashing, etc.

Solid Wall insulation......Any ideas and experiences? RW[_4_] UK diy 5 January 11th 09 03:20 PM
Any experiences of using Safestyle windows ?? good or bad gb UK diy 12 November 27th 08 02:11 PM
Redring shower leak Jim Scott UK diy 0 June 5th 06 11:27 PM
Condensing combi boilers - good/bad experiences? CharlieR UK diy 5 April 3rd 06 11:23 PM
Redring Shower Problem Stevo Home Repair 1 March 25th 04 04:00 PM