DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   UV Glue any good? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/641374-uv-glue-any-good.html)

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. October 26th 19 10:54 AM

UV Glue any good?

Has anyone tried that UV cure glue?

What's it like, any good?..

Lee October 26th 19 11:00 AM

UV Glue any good?

On 26/10/2019 10:54, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Has anyone tried that UV cure glue?

What's it like, any good?..

It's not "glue" as such it's a liquid plastic resin that sets under UV
light..

I have used it to reattach the lens caps on the LED backlight on a TV
and to fix a broken nose piece on a pair of magnifieying glasses.
Excellent for both of those uses, but how good it is for more mundane
uses? I haven't tried :)

Andy Burns[_13_] October 26th 19 12:39 PM

UV Glue any good?

Chris Hogg wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Has anyone tried that UV cure glue?

Isn't that what dentists use for setting fillings and attaching crowns
to teeth?

Yes, and re-attaching rear view mirrors to windscreens. Though whether
all these types of UV cured glue are the same, I don't know.

Steve Walker[_5_] October 26th 19 06:16 PM

UV Glue any good?

On 26/10/2019 12:39, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Has anyone tried that UV cure glue?

Isn't that what dentists use for setting fillings and attaching crowns
to teeth?

Yes, and re-attaching rear view mirrors to windscreens.Â* Though whether
all these types of UV cured glue are the same, I don't know.

And, many years ago, re-attaching the catches to quarterlights.

SteveW

polygonum_on_google[_2_] October 26th 19 09:29 PM

UV Glue any good?

On Saturday, 26 October 2019 12:39:23 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Has anyone tried that UV cure glue?

Isn't that what dentists use for setting fillings and attaching crowns
to teeth?

Yes, and re-attaching rear view mirrors to windscreens. Though whether
all these types of UV cured glue are the same, I don't know.

Dentists, according to my dentist, now uses a blue light cure - not UV.

I think the UV ones have been phased out, largely due to the impact of UV on the dental staff.

[email protected] October 27th 19 07:47 AM

UV Glue any good?

On Saturday, 26 October 2019 21:29:50 UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:

I think the UV ones have been phased out, largely due to the impact of UV on the dental staff.

They were using blue light 30 years ago. In those days it was
produced by filtering the light from a quartz halogen projector
lamp before sending it down an optical fibre light pipe.

Nowadays I imagine blue LEDs would be the preferred light source.

John

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) October 27th 19 08:02 AM

UV Glue any good?

Yes it has also been used successfully in space, outside apparently, so
maybe it does not require air either.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

polygonum_on_google[_2_] October 27th 19 09:40 AM

UV Glue any good?

On Sunday, 27 October 2019 07:47:50 UTC, wrote:
On Saturday, 26 October 2019 21:29:50 UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:

I think the UV ones have been phased out, largely due to the impact of UV on the dental staff.

They were using blue light 30 years ago. In those days it was
produced by filtering the light from a quartz halogen projector
lamp before sending it down an optical fibre light pipe.

Nowadays I imagine blue LEDs would be the preferred light source.

John

LEDs are, most certainly, the choice. Gets the exact wavelength required and can easily be run from a battery.