Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 3M dust masks 6000 series - used one?

Hello, I'd like to know if anybody has recent experience of the 3M 6000
series masks which seem to require several parts to make them usable.

I'm after a good dust prevention mask to work in a filthy loft and have
looked through the Screwfix website. Having bought and discarded a
disposable JSP which didn't fit very well I'm moving on. However the 3M
mask seems to need a set of vapour filters first onto which can be
fitted a particulate filter which is the one I need.

My question is has anybody used a 3M mask for dust filtering without
having to add the vapour filter first, in order to avoid spending money
unecessarily?

Thanks for any useful replies.

PB
Cromer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 23:31:39 +0100, Paul Bird wrote:

My question is has anybody used a 3M mask for dust filtering without
having to add the vapour filter first, in order to avoid spending money
unecessarily?

Possibly. I've had a 3M 6000 series half mask (looks awfully like
Screwfix 4786G or 8952G) for the best part of twenty years. Used with
2128 filters (P2 & organic vapour) that just baoynet fit each side.
Screwfix don't appear to have 2128 filters but plenty of other places
do.

Make sure you get the right sized mask for your face. I think the one
I have is just a bit too big, it has to be in just the right place to
seal properly. Any significant facial hair on your cheeks will
prevent a seal as well.

It's damn good at both dust and organic vapours. Stripped a door
using nitromors, inside an open garage. Couldn't detect anything
inside the mask, took mask off and got instantly grabbed by the
throat...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2019 23:31, Paul Bird wrote:
Hello, I'd like to know if anybody has recent experience of the 3M 6000
series masks which seem to require several parts to make them usable.

I'm after a good dust prevention mask to work in a filthy loft and have
looked through the Screwfix website. Having bought and discarded a
disposable JSP which didn't fit very well I'm moving on. However the 3M
mask seems to need a set of vapour filters first onto which can be
fitted a particulate filter which is the one I need.

My question is has anybody used a 3M mask for dust filtering without
having to add the vapour filter first, in order to avoid spending money
unecessarily?

I have not tried the 6000 series masks, but routinely use 4000 series
ones and find them very good. They do dust and vapour filtration as
standard. They make an excellent seal to the face, and are easy to
breathe through. They also have a valve to direct the wet exhaust air
away from glasses etc.

They are intended for industrial use and are rated as "maintenance free"
i.e. there are no replaceable parts, you just use them til they are done
and then replace the whole thing. (they are designed for 30 full days of
use before replacement), so for most DIY activities they will last much
much longer.

e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VDPN..._26oRDbWKRGDC7

(note there are a couple of different variants depending on the exact
hazards you need to protect against)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2019 00:44, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/10/2019 23:31, Paul Bird wrote:
Hello, I'd like to know if anybody has recent experience of the 3M
6000 series masks which seem to require several parts to make them
usable.

snip

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VDPN..._26oRDbWKRGDC7

(note there are a couple of different variants depending on the exact
hazards you need to protect against)

Thank you, that looks ideal. The JSP didn't fit properly around the
nose, steamed up my glasses until I plugged the gap with a rubber glove
and was altogether hopeless but the reviews for this one are much
better, I'll give it a try.

PB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2019 09:10, Paul Bird wrote:
On 21/10/2019 00:44, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/10/2019 23:31, Paul Bird wrote:
Hello, I'd like to know if anybody has recent experience of the 3M
6000 series masks which seem to require several parts to make them
usable.

snip

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VDPN..._26oRDbWKRGDC7

(note there are a couple of different variants depending on the exact
hazards you need to protect against)

Thank you, that looks ideal. The JSP didn't fit properly around the
nose, steamed up my glasses until I plugged the gap with a rubber glove
and was altogether hopeless but the reviews for this one are much
better, I'll give it a try.

I use those - recommended on here by John I think. Seem to do a very
good job. If it is a measure of anything, they seem to mask smell as
well as dust etc. And much better than the cheapies for steamed up specs.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

I use those - recommended on here by John I think. Seem to do a very
good job.

I have a 3M 750x half-mask (where 'x' determines size) it fits ok with
glasses (Once fitted I tend to leave in on rather than keep removing and
re-fitting it every few minutes) and diverts your exhaled breath away
from steaming them up

If it is a measure of anything, they seem to mask smell as
well as dust etc. And much better than the cheapies for steamed up specs.

you can fit various levels of vapour and/or particulate filters to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 21/10/2019 09:10, Paul Bird wrote:
On 21/10/2019 00:44, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/10/2019 23:31, Paul Bird wrote:
Hello, I'd like to know if anybody has recent experience of the 3M
6000 series masks which seem to require several parts to make them
usable.

snip

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VDPN..._26oRDbWKRGDC7

(note there are a couple of different variants depending on the exact
hazards you need to protect against)

Thank you, that looks ideal. The JSP didn't fit properly around the
nose, steamed up my glasses until I plugged the gap with a rubber glove
and was altogether hopeless but the reviews for this one are much
better, I'll give it a try.

PB

I find JSP Tradesman is a good fit, and the straps are nice and robust.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/jsp-trade...sk-a1-p2/14194

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2019 09:31, RJH wrote:
[...]

+1
I've had to replace the elastic but the filters are going strong. I even
gave one to SWMBO as a present!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2019 12:23, GB wrote:
[...]

That's the one I've thrown away. Hopeless. A waste of £13.

Lousy fit around the nose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 25/10/2019 10:49, Paul Bird wrote:
On 21/10/2019 12:23, GB wrote:
[...]

The same one fits me well. Funny how we're all different.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2019 11:42, GB wrote:
snip

The same one fits me well. Funny how we're all different.

The plastic JSP have used for the face "fit" is a hard shiny unmalleable
plastic.

If only I could show you here, the 3M version is a soft, pliable more
sympathetic material.

This one fits fine, I would have bought the 3M first, had I known and
when you come to replace your JSP bear in mind what I've said.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 25/10/2019 13:30, Paul Bird wrote:
On 25/10/2019 11:42, GB wrote:
snip

The same one fits me well. Funny how we're all different.

The plastic JSP have used for the face "fit" is a hard shiny unmalleable
plastic.

I find it quite soft. Is yours coloured blue?

If only I could show you here, the 3M version is a soft, pliable more
sympathetic material.

This one fits fine, I would have bought the 3M first, had I known and
when you come to replace your JSP bear in mind what I've said.

The straps look flimsy on the 3M. You've had no problems?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2019 12:23, GB wrote:
[...]

Yeah, specially with noses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 09:38:01 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

The same one fits me well. Funny how we're all different.

Yeah, specially with noses.

Not as much as with rottenness of character, you senile pest!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."