Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default 3M dust masks 6000 series - used one?

On 20/10/2019 23:31, Paul Bird wrote:
Hello, I'd like to know if anybody has recent experience of the 3M 6000
series masks which seem to require several parts to make them usable.

I'm after a good dust prevention mask to work in a filthy loft and have
looked through the Screwfix website. Having bought and discarded a
disposable JSP which didn't fit very well I'm moving on. However the 3M
mask seems to need a set of vapour filters first onto which can be
fitted a particulate filter which is the one I need.

My question is has anybody used a 3M mask for dust filtering without
having to add the vapour filter first, in order to avoid spending money
unecessarily?

I have not tried the 6000 series masks, but routinely use 4000 series
ones and find them very good. They do dust and vapour filtration as
standard. They make an excellent seal to the face, and are easy to
breathe through. They also have a valve to direct the wet exhaust air
away from glasses etc.

They are intended for industrial use and are rated as "maintenance free"
i.e. there are no replaceable parts, you just use them til they are done
and then replace the whole thing. (they are designed for 30 full days of
use before replacement), so for most DIY activities they will last much
much longer.

e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VDPN..._26oRDbWKRGDC7

(note there are a couple of different variants depending on the exact
hazards you need to protect against)

--
Cheers,

John.