Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Data protection

I'm trying to renew our house insurance (for reasons un-related the house is in my wifes name.

After trying unsuccessfully to do this on line as their site is ****e I reluctantly phone them

Listen to 2 minutes of waffle

Get human. Give him details of the insurance policy number, house name and address and wife's name when he asks me for her date of birth.

What ?

Why ? Data protection is the answer.

WTF has this to do with data protection. I'm not asking for any 'data' in fact I'm giving some.If I walked into their office with a copy of the renewal notice and a credit card would they ask me for her date of birth?

Data Protection Act. Its the new shibboleth up there with Health and Safety..

On a similar note I wished to add three drivers to my car insurance (two sons and a daughter. All are mature, have their own cars and their own car insurances and have clean accident free record and clean licenses. I only want to do this as a back stop and wanted an idea of the cost

First question, after giving all of the above info, is how many miles a per year will each do ??

Next question what is their names ?

What?

I'm only looking for the cost of doing this. Doesn't matter. Data Protection Act again invoked.

I just gave up
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2019 11:47, wrote:
[...]

Thats why I insure with NFU.

--
€œPeople believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think most of the time they don't understand the gdpr and hence would
rather **** people off than get into any trouble.
I have argued this case with the medical fraternity about them being
allowed to pass on I am blind to the next department, sorry Gdpr. So go to
next appointments, say x ray, Oh nobody told us you were blind health and
safety means we need to don a leather apron and be with you in case you bang
your head on the x ray machine.

So I have signed many many daft documents now to allow this transit of
important info, but still its not happening and still not always getting
email letters I can read from some as they do not know I'm blind as one
trust does not recognise another trusts procedures unless I go to the new
trust and sign their paperwork in triplicate. The daft part of it all is,
data portability is quoted as the main advantage of the digital revolution
and they are just shoving obstacles in the way when most people would
imagine that once you agree to have data shared in nhs it should just
happen.
Bah humbug.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2019 11:47, wrote:
[...]

I have my caravan insured with NFU and have been happy with their
service, so decided to get a quote for house insurance. No online
quoting system, so I ring them, spend around 40 minutes going into great
detail about value of contents, rebuilding cost, etc only to get a quote
about twice as much as I was currently paying with LV=. Won't make that
mistake again.
John M
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 4:55:07 PM UTC+1, nightjar wrote:
On 09/09/2019 12:43, wrote:
On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 12:25:41 PM UTC+1, nightjar wrote:
On 09/09/2019 11:47,
wrote:
I'm trying to renew our house insurance (for reasons un-related the house is in my wifes name.

After trying unsuccessfully to do this on line as their site is ****e I reluctantly phone them

Listen to 2 minutes of waffle

Get human. Give him details of the insurance policy number, house name and address and wife's name when he asks me for her date of birth.

What ?

Why ? Data protection is the answer.

WTF has this to do with data protection. I'm not asking for any 'data' in fact I'm giving some...

It is a precaution against somebody trying to steal her identity and
giving them false information.

--
Colin Bignell

But I'm just trying to pay household insurance. I'm not asking for any data. They're not giving me any data. So what are they protecting?

They are stopping you from making changes to the data they hold if you
are not a properly authorised person. You may not actually be planning
to do so, but that doesn't mean that somebody posing as you or your wife
wouldn't want to, for their own purposes.

--
Colin Bignell

Then the time to invoke the data protection act us at the stage where I start asking questions. Thats when they need mne to confirm my credentials not when I am attempting to pay bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Yes, but its operationally easier to get the monkeys to
confirm that you are who you say you are at the start of
the call rather than having the monkeys decide when they
need to have you confirm that you are who you say you are.

The online systems often do only make you confirm that
you are who you say you are when you try to change the
data or check it, but call centers hardly ever do it like that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 19:29:49 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Then the time to invoke the data protection act
us at the stage where I start asking questions.
Thats when they need mne to confirm my
credentials not when I am attempting to pay bill

Yes, but

IOW, you just tried to avoid typing "no" again, you ridiculous
auto-contradicting senile idiot! LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 10/09/2019 01:31, John Miller wrote:

Thats why I insure with NFU.

I have my caravan insured with NFU and have been happy with their
service, so decided to get a quote for house insurance. No online
quoting system, so I ring them, spend around 40 minutes going into great
detail about value of contents, rebuilding cost, etc only to get a quote
about twice as much as I was currently paying with LV=. Won't make that
mistake again.
John M

Same here, and the same happens with Cornish Mutual. Tedious long phone
call, providing information that I could more accurately provide direct
to an online form than relayed via a call centre monkey€” no surprise
that the quote is twice the price.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
scribeth thus
[...]

Take you custom elsewhere!, i did and got a mucho better price

ESURE is the new company..

--
Tony Sayer