Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] billyorange007@gmail.com is offline

Default Data protection

On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 4:55:07 PM UTC+1, nightjar wrote:
On 09/09/2019 12:43, wrote:
On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 12:25:41 PM UTC+1, nightjar wrote:
On 09/09/2019 11:47,
wrote:
I'm trying to renew our house insurance (for reasons un-related the house is in my wifes name.

After trying unsuccessfully to do this on line as their site is ****e I reluctantly phone them

Listen to 2 minutes of waffle

Get human. Give him details of the insurance policy number, house name and address and wife's name when he asks me for her date of birth.

What ?

Why ? Data protection is the answer.

WTF has this to do with data protection. I'm not asking for any 'data' in fact I'm giving some...

It is a precaution against somebody trying to steal her identity and
giving them false information.

--
Colin Bignell

But I'm just trying to pay household insurance. I'm not asking for any data. They're not giving me any data. So what are they protecting?

They are stopping you from making changes to the data they hold if you
are not a properly authorised person. You may not actually be planning
to do so, but that doesn't mean that somebody posing as you or your wife
wouldn't want to, for their own purposes.

--
Colin Bignell

Then the time to invoke the data protection act us at the stage where I start asking questions. Thats when they need mne to confirm my credentials not when I am attempting to pay bill