Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Moving a piano

Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles away.

How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

Thanks

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2019 06:59, ARW wrote:
Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles away.

How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

Thanks

https://youtu.be/_NgSBIPJ8KA?t=167

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

ARW wrote:

Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles away.
How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.
And how do you get it through a front door?

https://youtu.be/_NgSBIPJ8KA?t=167

https://youtu.be/r5XX9LX2es4
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2019 06:59, ARW wrote:
Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles away.

How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

I'm a pessimist so I'd start with prior questions:

- will I get sued if I break it?
- will I you lose, ahem, "benefits" if I break it?
- do I have a good excuse to get out of it?

If you're set on the job, the only important lesson I learnt from
personal experience as a helper many years ago was that the legs can
come off in a somewhat destructive failure mode if you push it. (I
couldn't find a suitable funny video of that - just a boring lecture
from professionals on that and other things not to do
https://www.fantastic-removals.co.uk/blog/how-to-move-a-piano/)

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2019 06:59, ARW wrote:
Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles away.

How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

Thanks

Is it wooden or cast-iron framed? If the latter you need as many people
as you can get around it!

Getting the piano from my grandparents' house to my parents involved
four of us and would have been easier if we could have fitted six around it.

Movements to get it out of the front room and to the front door involved
standing it one one end to rotate it out of the front room door, but
that had to be the wrong end for a later move, so it then had to be
moved into the back room and switched onto its other end to be able to
manoeuvre it back into the hall and out of the front door.

Once at the van, it was a case of lifting one end just in, then lifting
the other end and pushing it the rest of the way.

Securing it was not a problem - the van had shelves running along both
sides and we had to remove the front lip from one to get the piano
between them. All it needed was strapping to stop it moving backwards or
forwards, as there was nowhere else for it to go really. You do want it
wellheld though, there'd be a lot of momentum if you had to emergency
brake or, even worse, were in a crash. In our case, we were only moving
it about 5 miles and all on slow roads, so a little less of a risk.

At the other end of the journey, it was decided that rather than
manouvering it (on end) through the porch door and front door and then
needing to be on the other end to turn through the living room door, it
was easier to get it all the way to the back and come in through the
patio door.

You can pretty well guarantee that it has very small metal castors, that
tend to be siezed and anyway are so small that they sink into any carpet
and will not roll or will dig grooves in laminate, so you need an old
blanket or similar to slide it on, even when upright.

This all plays havoc with the tuning, so once in place, that'll need
doing - we actually had the sterotypical blind piano tuner in!

All in all, its damned hard work and they are *HEAVY*!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 8:43:58 AM UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:
On 31/08/2019 06:59, ARW wrote:
[...]

I bought a piano on Thursday. It was going to be £120 for a professional piano tuner to move it, he did not need help. I would have liked to have seen it.

Two of us moved it using borrowed car wheel dollys.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/awd1...CABEgIex_D_BwE
the dollys were great, we could adjust the direction of travel mid doorway.
Only left one slight mark on the emulsion as we lifted it on.
Steps involved, but no stairs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2019 08:43, Steve Walker wrote:

Movements to get it out of the front room and to the front door involved
standing it one one end to rotate it out of the front room door

Perhaps something like this would help if upending the piano

https://www.toolstation.com/roughneck-dolly/p99817

In the past I've found them to be very useful for heavy loads. for the
front/back door thresholds build a platform from scrap lengths of wood
and slide the piano on these using a blanket to protect and provide a
low friction surface.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2019 06:59, ARW wrote:
Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles away.

How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

Thanks

You need a trolley with a single axle so that it can be turned and
tilted easily. Use timber ramps or muscles to get over door thresholds.

In the van, get it against the front bulkhead and rope it to the side of
the van (or use props from the other side onto a carpeted board to
spread any load). Obviously, remove any removable bits before you start.

Some mates and I once tried to get a piano up some stairs, but we had to
give-up about a third of the way up. When the "professionals" turned-up
(2 HUGE blokes) they just carried it up as if it was an empty box.
Despite being an enthusiastic and can-do DIYer I would pay someone else
to damage their back if I had one to move.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On 31/08/2019 06:59, ARW wrote:
Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles away.

How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

Thanks

You need a trolley with a single axle so that it can be turned and
tilted easily. Use timber ramps or muscles to get over door thresholds.

In the van, get it against the front bulkhead and rope it to the side of
the van (or use props from the other side onto a carpeted board to
spread any load). Obviously, remove any removable bits before you start.

Some mates and I once tried to get a piano up some stairs, but we had to
give-up about a third of the way up. When the "professionals" turned-up
(2 HUGE blokes) they just carried it up as if it was an empty box.
Despite being an enthusiastic and can-do DIYer I would pay someone else
to damage their back if I had one to move.

Some years ago I saw a farmer pick up a piano all by himelf.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles
away.
How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

Thanks

Don't be such a tight fisted ****. Get the men in.

https://www.anyvan.com/av/low-cost-p...SAAEgI1nPD_BwE

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 06:59:15 +0100, ARW
wrote:

Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles away.

How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

Thanks

There are (or were) professional piano movers. I'm sure you could
afford their services.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 31/08/2019 08:42, Robin wrote:
On 31/08/2019 06:59, ARW wrote:
Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles away.

How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

I'm a pessimist so I'd start with prior questions:

-*** will I get sued if I break it?
-*** will I you lose, ahem, "benefits" if I break it?
-*** do I have a good excuse to get out of it?

If you're set on the job, the only important lesson I learnt from
personal experience as a helper many years ago was that the legs can
come off in a somewhat destructive failure mode if you push it.* (I
couldn't find a suitable funny video of that - just a boring lecture
from professionals on that and other things not to do
https://www.fantastic-removals.co.uk/blog/how-to-move-a-piano/)

It's a three job in two days type of thing. I will not get sued if it
goes tits up.

1. I go to Watford to do some work.
2. The next day I drive from Watford to Shrewsbury to pick up a piano
with the bloke from Watford from his Mum's old house to bring back to
Watford
3. Whilst in Shrewsbury and picking up the piano I do a EICR of her new
house in Shrewsbury.

And yes Geoff from CET is renting the van so I cannot get out of it:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 31/08/2019 10:34, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
ARW wrote:
Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles
away.
How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

Thanks

Don't be such a tight fisted ****. Get the men in.

https://www.anyvan.com/av/low-cost-p...SAAEgI1nPD_BwE

Tight fisted my arse.

They will want about £500.

This is DIY.

And where have you been? Hopefully on holiday or somewhere nice as you
have not posted for a while.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 31/08/2019 06:59, ARW wrote:
[...]

So basically it's going to be a ******* of a job then?

I like a challenge.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles away.

How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

Thanks

There are (or were) professional piano movers. I'm sure you could
afford their services.
--
Dave W

The professional was going to charge me £120 to move it 30 miles, and he was making the journey anyway to tune it at mine.

I'm 53 and lift nothing heavier than a pen at work, I managed my end of the piano.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles
away.
How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

Thanks

Don't be such a tight fisted ****. Get the men in.

https://www.anyvan.com/av/low-cost-p...SAAEgI1nPD_BwE

Tight fisted my arse.

They will want about £500.

This is DIY.

And where have you been? Hopefully on holiday or somewhere nice as you
have not posted for a while.

He's been pounding and is now completely blind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles away.

How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

Thanks

There are (or were) professional piano movers. I'm sure you could
afford their services.

If it were their only load they would probably want £1 per mile to start
with (£300) plus the hourly rate for 2 men for at least 6 hours (£120
minimum) plus VAT (£85) = £505.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles away.

How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

Thanks

There are (or were) professional piano movers. I'm sure you could
afford their services.
--
Dave W

The professional was going to charge me £120 to move it 30 miles, and he was making the journey anyway to tune it at mine.

I'm 53 and lift nothing heavier than a pen at work, I managed my end of the piano.

Ordinary looking uprights with an iron frame can top 200 kg. And AIUI
even movers can't always tell just by looking.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2019 10:11, charles wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On 31/08/2019 06:59, ARW wrote:
[...]

But it probably didn't have a cast-iron frame though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2019 06:59, ARW wrote:
[...]

Sheesh! So Day 2 is summat like:

drive to Shrewsbury (140-odd miles)
do EICR
load piano
drive Watford (140-odd miles)
unload piano
[drive Doncaster (150-odd miles)]

Extra bodies available at both ends? Enough extra bodies and you could
leave Geoff to load while you do the EICR and unload while you...

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 31/08/2019 06:59, ARW wrote:
[...]

That's about it.

Plenty of bodies at the Watford end.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2019 06:59, ARW wrote:
[...]

Find out if it's got an iron frame or where to find cheap bodies in
Shrewsbury. Especially if there are steps involved or the van won't
have a tail lift. (There's "a challenge" and there's "on the plus side,
the toecaps on his boots survived".)

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 31/08/2019 06:59, ARW wrote:
[...]

Geoff is recruiting for the Shrewsbury side.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles
away.
How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

Thanks

Don't be such a tight fisted ****. Get the men in.

https://www.anyvan.com/av/low-cost-p...SAAEgI1nPD_BwE

Tight fisted my arse.

They will want about £500.

This is DIY.

Mr Shifter would do it for peanuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzEBLa3PPk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 11:07:58 +0100, ARW wrote:

Don't be such a tight fisted ****. Get the men in.

https://www.anyvan.com/av/low-cost-p...SAAEgI1nPD_BwE

Tight fisted my arse.

You SHOULD have put a comma after "fisted". BG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 20:22:30 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

ARW wrote:
Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles
away.
How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

Thanks

Don't be such a tight fisted ****. Get the men in.

https://www.anyvan.com/av/low-cost-p...SAAEgI1nPD_BwE

Tight fisted my arse.

They will want about 500.

This is DIY.

And where have you been? Hopefully on holiday or somewhere nice as you
have not posted for a while.

He's been pounding and is now completely blind.

Oh, PLEASE! Spare everyone your senile attempts at "humour", you obnoxious
senile pest! tsk

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2019 06:59, ARW wrote:
[...]

Dont forget that conventional uprights have many easily removable parts
that can lighten it. Lid, top front panel, lower front panel, keyboard lid
etc. Few tools, if any required to remove. The main action with all the
hammers and levers can also be lifted out by undoing a few fasteners.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Angle Grinder.
[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Shifter is a real company in Doncaster.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2019 10:59, ARW wrote:

And yes Geoff from CET is renting the van so I cannot get out of it:-)

I wouldn't start from there, I'd get a man in.

Presumably an upright, which isn't quite so bad.

My ex parents in law inherited a small Bechstein grand, in one of their
moves it had to go into a first floor room in a Victorian Terrace in
Oxford, apparently the movers took out the sashes and jury rigged some
sort of hoist from above, c.f. the systems used in old Amsterdam (and
London) warehouses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles
away.
How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

Thanks

Don't be such a tight fisted ****. Get the men in.

https://www.anyvan.com/av/low-cost-p...SAAEgI1nPD_BwE

Tight fisted my arse.

They will want about 500.

This is DIY.

And where have you been? Hopefully on holiday or somewhere nice as
you have not posted for a while.

I've not read much worth replying to. The group seems to be infested by that
stupid Australian **** and that silly Jock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 31 August 2019 06:59:18 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles away.

How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

I once sold a grand piano on ebay. When the buyers arrived to collect it we lifted it off the ground, tipped it back, and stood it up balancing it on its long edge on a bit of carpet. We then took the legs off and slid it to the front door (on the polished wood floor). Then we grabbed it as best we could and lifted it (still with its back edge down), carried it out. Then we turned it and put it flat on the floor of the van (still without the legs on).

We only just managed to lift it with 4 strong men - it was a huge effort. You need at least six to do it without risking hernias.

Specialist piano movers use special little trolleys.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2019 06:59, ARW wrote:
[...]

Interestingly the piano I sold (see my previous post) was in my house in Watford :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 12:09:46 +0100, Andrew wrote:

But it probably didn't have a cast-iron frame though.

SWMBO'd has "collected" two upright pianos here. One timber frame the
other cast iron, the timber one is the heavier. That maybe down to
the timber framed one being older so has a much better built case,
even so it does have about 6 x 4 to 5' long 6x6 ish timbers in it...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 11:14:06 +0100, ARW wrote:

All in all, its damned hard work and they are *HEAVY*!

F**KING HEAVY.

So basically it's going to be a ******* of a job then?

Without the right tool and some thought about any routes through
doors etc, yes.

I like a challenge.

But with the right tool it becomes a lot easier. The right tool is a
*very strong* single axle dolly about 15" long and 12" wide with
large (6") soft (pnumatic), with the tops of the wheels below the top
surface of the dolly and inside the 12" width. The one I've seen was
made from nothing smaller than 3 x 2.

Lift one end of piano, slide dolly underneath as near central as
possible lower piano onto dolly and it'll be a POP to move and rotate
in it's own diagonal width. The large wheels enable small level
variations to be negociated. Single steps over an inch or so will
require some form of ramp, this might just be a rectanglura bit of
wood laid large dimesion down next to the obstical to reduce the size
of each required vertical lift.

With a good dolly getting the ******* thing into the van is like to
be the hard bit. A ramp to be shallow enough to push the piano up on
the dolly is going to require so seriously chucky bits of timber and
still need supporting and don't forget the van suspension will "give"
quite a bit when the weight gets applied.

Picking it up and getting one end in and onto old carpet (backing
side up) to slide in might be possible with four blokes. Personally
I'd have a word with one of the local farmers and get them to come
round with a front loader and some strong strops. Strops under each
end, prevented from sliding to the midle some how, front loader picks
it up and gets one end into van on the old carper, then blokes shove
it in as the front loader slowly lowers.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Aug 2019 14:45:29 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Don t forget that conventional uprights have many easily removable
parts that can lighten it. Lid, top front panel, lower front panel,
keyboard lid etc. Few tools, if any required to remove. The main
action with all the hammers and levers can also be lifted out by
undoing a few fasteners.

Yes, good for lessening the weight whilst dollying about. Taking the
main action out is also possible but it does have lots of easy to
snag fragile bits. I'd put it back in for transport in the van and
put it well out the way when shifting the main part.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles
away.
How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

Thanks

Don't be such a tight fisted ****. Get the men in.

https://www.anyvan.com/av/low-cost-p...SAAEgI1nPD_BwE

Tight fisted my arse.

They will want about 500.

This is DIY.

And where have you been? Hopefully on holiday or somewhere nice as
you have not posted for a while.

I've not read much worth replying to. The group seems to be infested
by that stupid Australian **** and that silly Jock.

And Brexit:-(

Yip, Brexit is now very boring.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles
away.
How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

Thanks

Don't be such a tight fisted ****. Get the men in.

https://www.anyvan.com/av/low-cost-p...SAAEgI1nPD_BwE

Tight fisted my arse.

They will want about £500.

This is DIY.

And where have you been? Hopefully on holiday or somewhere nice as
you have not posted for a while.

I've not read much worth replying to. The group seems to be infested
by that stupid Australian **** and that silly Jock.

And Brexit:-(

Yip, Brexit is now very boring.

I thought most pianos where put together by dismantle joints. I know the one we had at home could have the keyboard cover pulled up and off. The front top panelwas held on by toggles as was the bottom panel and the top complete with lid could also be pulled off.