Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Moving a piano

On 31/08/2019 10:11, charles wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On 31/08/2019 06:59, ARW wrote:
Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles away.

How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

Thanks

You need a trolley with a single axle so that it can be turned and
tilted easily. Use timber ramps or muscles to get over door thresholds.

In the van, get it against the front bulkhead and rope it to the side of
the van (or use props from the other side onto a carpeted board to
spread any load). Obviously, remove any removable bits before you start.

Some mates and I once tried to get a piano up some stairs, but we had to
give-up about a third of the way up. When the "professionals" turned-up
(2 HUGE blokes) they just carried it up as if it was an empty box.
Despite being an enthusiastic and can-do DIYer I would pay someone else
to damage their back if I had one to move.

Some years ago I saw a farmer pick up a piano all by himelf.

But it probably didn't have a cast-iron frame though.