Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Moving a piano

On 31/08/2019 12:50, ARW wrote:
On 31/08/2019 12:10, Robin wrote:
On 31/08/2019 10:59, ARW wrote:
On 31/08/2019 08:42, Robin wrote:
On 31/08/2019 06:59, ARW wrote:
Any tips? This is from one town to another town about a 150 miles
away.

How to get it on the van, secure it down etc.

And how do you get it through a front door?

I'm a pessimist so I'd start with prior questions:

-Â*Â*Â* will I get sued if I break it?
-Â*Â*Â* will I you lose, ahem, "benefits" if I break it?
-Â*Â*Â* do I have a good excuse to get out of it?

If you're set on the job, the only important lesson I learnt from
personal experience as a helper many years ago was that the legs can
come off in a somewhat destructive failure mode if you push it.Â* (I
couldn't find a suitable funny video of that - just a boring lecture
from professionals on that and other things not to do
https://www.fantastic-removals.co.uk/blog/how-to-move-a-piano/)

It's a three job in two days type of thing. I will not get sued if it
goes tits up.

1. I go to Watford to do some work.
2. The next day I drive from Watford to Shrewsbury to pick up a piano
with the bloke from Watford from his Mum's old house to bring back to
Watford
3. Whilst in Shrewsbury and picking up the piano I do a EICR of her
new house in Shrewsbury.

And yes Geoff from CET is renting the van so I cannot get out of it:-)

Sheesh! So Day 2 is summat like:

drive to Shrewsbury (140-odd miles)
do EICR
load piano
drive Watford (140-odd miles)
unload piano
[drive Doncaster (150-odd miles)]

Extra bodies available at both ends?Â* Enough extra bodies and you
could leave Geoff to load while you do the EICR and unload while
you...

That's about it.

Plenty of bodies at the Watford end.

Find out if it's got an iron frame or where to find cheap bodies in
Shrewsbury. Especially if there are steps involved or the van won't
have a tail lift. (There's "a challenge" and there's "on the plus side,
the toecaps on his boots survived".)

--
Robin