Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Options for switching electrically heated towel rail in wet room?

We're aiming to put an electrically heated (as well as CH heated)
towel rail in the new shower/wet room. How are these normally switched
on and off?

Possibilities seem to me to be:-

1 Pull switch, but this feels wrong for a towel rail somehow, also
difficult to provide a clear indicator, a little glow by the
switch on the ceiling isn't very obvious.

2 Normal switch outside the wet-room. Possible but again seems
rather counter-intuitive, though one could at least have a nice
obvious 'on' indicator.

3 A switch in the wet room but outside the zones. This is fairly
easy in this case as the switch could be positioned on the soil
pipe casing on the opposite side of the wet-room from the shower.

4 A Quinetic switch, but this doesn't have an indicator so I'd have
to add that as well, a rather expensive solution in total. Can
one get 'indicator' lamps as stand-alone accessories?

5 One could get all clever and have a low voltage (SELV) switch and
circuit controlling a contactor/relay but this does seem a bit
OTT.

The third option seems most "easy to use and find" but is it actually
OK? Can one get switches which are particularly suitable for
damp[ish] locations?

If I go for the Quinetic switch option it would make sense to get a
dual controller as I'm aiming to use a Quinetic switch for the lights.
However this raises the issue of what to connect it all to. All the
towel radiator electric heaters say they must be run from an FCU but I
guess they are assuming being connected to a power circuit with 32A or
20A breaker. Can I connect the heater direct to a lighting circuit as
this is what I would be connecting the lighting Quinetic switch to.
It will have a 6A breaker so I can't really se an issue with this.
The instructions for the Screwfix ones say "The fused spur should be
fitted with at least a 5 amp fuse to the appropriate standard." which
doesn't make a lot of sense! Would a 13 amp fuse be better?? :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 August 2019 19:16:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
Can one get 'indicator' lamps as stand-alone accessories?

Gridswitch plate with a neon module.

The third option seems most "easy to use and find" but is it actually
OK? Can one get switches which are particularly suitable for
damp[ish] locations?

You can but they tend to be a bit horticultural :-)

I would probably go for a pull switch with a separate indicating module outside the room door, if leaving the thing on and forgetting it is an issue. Or even a runback timer switch so it runs for eg 2 hours to warm the room / dry the towels, then turns off.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 19:09, Chris Green wrote:
We're aiming to put an electrically heated (as well as CH heated)
towel rail in the new shower/wet room. How are these normally switched
on and off?

In the end I simply fitted a 30A DP with neon switched spur outside the
room next to the shower switch. This was a few years ago. In reality we
never use the electric because when it's cold enough to need extra
heating in the wet room because the central heating is on. The thing we
did right was to have a big radiator in the wetroom, so it's always
really warm in there. This is what you need when you are bathing a
disabled person. Wetrooms need to be really warm.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 August 2019 19:16:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
We're aiming to put an electrically heated (as well as CH heated)
towel rail in the new shower/wet room. How are these normally switched
on and off?

A relative of mine has an electric towel radiator. It takes hours to heat up, so he leaves it on 24/7. Otherwise he'd have to plan in advance, which isn't going to happen...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
On 22/08/2019 19:09, Chris Green wrote:
We're aiming to put an electrically heated (as well as CH heated)
towel rail in the new shower/wet room. How are these normally switched
on and off?

In the end I simply fitted a 30A DP with neon switched spur outside the
room next to the shower switch.

Overkill for a 400 watt heater! :-)

This was a few years ago. In reality we
never use the electric because when it's cold enough to need extra
heating in the wet room because the central heating is on. The thing we
did right was to have a big radiator in the wetroom, so it's always
really warm in there. This is what you need when you are bathing a
disabled person. Wetrooms need to be really warm.

The electric heater is really to get towels dry in the summer.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
On Thursday, 22 August 2019 19:16:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
We're aiming to put an electrically heated (as well as CH heated)
towel rail in the new shower/wet room. How are these normally switched
on and off?

A relative of mine has an electric towel radiator. It takes hours to heat
up, so he leaves it on 24/7. Otherwise he'd have to plan in advance, which
isn't going to happen...

Yes, I'm aiming to get a 400 watt or 600 watt heater which shoudn't
take a huge time to get hot.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 22/08/2019 19:09, Chris Green wrote:
We're aiming to put an electrically heated (as well as CH heated)
towel rail in the new shower/wet room. How are these normally switched
on and off?

Possibilities seem to me to be:-

1 Pull switch, but this feels wrong for a towel rail somehow, also
difficult to provide a clear indicator, a little glow by the
switch on the ceiling isn't very obvious.

So fit one with an ON/OFF flag

2 Normal switch outside the wet-room. Possible but again seems
rather counter-intuitive, though one could at least have a nice
obvious 'on' indicator.

Normal switches have a on and off position.

3 A switch in the wet room but outside the zones. This is fairly
easy in this case as the switch could be positioned on the soil
pipe casing on the opposite side of the wet-room from the shower.

Why not?

4 A Quinetic switch, but this doesn't have an indicator so I'd have
to add that as well, a rather expensive solution in total. Can
one get 'indicator' lamps as stand-alone accessories?

Overkill

5 One could get all clever and have a low voltage (SELV) switch and
circuit controlling a contactor/relay but this does seem a bit
OTT.

Overkill

The third option seems most "easy to use and find" but is it actually
OK? Can one get switches which are particularly suitable for
damp[ish] locations?

Is the switch likely to get wet?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 19:09, Chris Green wrote:
We're aiming to put an electrically heated (as well as CH heated)
towel rail in the new shower/wet room. How are these normally switched
on and off?

How about a runback timer triggered either from a pipe stat (mixer
shower), or a current operated switch [1] (electric shower)?

That way it would turn on when the shower starts, and off a few hours
after its finished. No need to remember to turn it on or off.

[1] http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...tivated_switch

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 22:16, Chris Green wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
On 22/08/2019 19:09, Chris Green wrote:
We're aiming to put an electrically heated (as well as CH heated)
towel rail in the new shower/wet room. How are these normally switched
on and off?

In the end I simply fitted a 30A DP with neon switched spur outside the
room next to the shower switch.

Overkill for a 400 watt heater! :-)

It was 600W. And it was an appearance match to the main shower switch
and the one for the extractor. And I couldn't be arsed buying different
ones.

The electric heater is really to get towels dry in the summer.

I see. I know I'm weird but I take towels to the wash as soon as they're
significantly damp. I'm very profligate with the washing machines.

Sort of moving on a bit, it's surprising how much washing is generated
by certain types of disability. It comes down to having a lot of
garments in circulation and just not worrying about the electric bill.
That's what PIP is for I guess.

The amount of clinical waste and soiled incontinence products is also
vast. Doncaster Council could offer no help; no big surprise.

I went through this twice, once with my dad and once with my wife.

Anyway, these matters are now behind me. I suppose this is as good a
place to mention it as any, but my beloved wife Hilary died on the 7th
August. I am utterly heartbroken.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 22:17, Chris Green wrote:
David wrote:
On Thursday, 22 August 2019 19:16:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
We're aiming to put an electrically heated (as well as CH heated)
towel rail in the new shower/wet room. How are these normally switched
on and off?

A relative of mine has an electric towel radiator. It takes hours to heat
up, so he leaves it on 24/7. Otherwise he'd have to plan in advance, which
isn't going to happen...

Yes, I'm aiming to get a 400 watt or 600 watt heater which shoudn't
take a huge time to get hot.

They aren't quick. And they don't do much to dry towels unless you leave
them on 24/7.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

So sorry to hear this Bill. I dont think your father could have had a
more loving son or your wife a more loving husband.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

Anyway, these matters are now behind me. I suppose this is as good a
place to mention it as any, but my beloved wife Hilary died on the 7th
August. I am utterly heartbroken.

I'm sorry to hear that Bill, I don't always agree with you but I still
feel for your loss.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 August 2019 04:36:21 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
Anyway, these matters are now behind me. I suppose this is as good a
place to mention it as any, but my beloved wife Hilary died on the 7th
August. I am utterly heartbroken.

*** condolences ***

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 August 2019 04:36:21 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
Anyway, these matters are now behind me. I suppose this is as good a
place to mention it as any, but my beloved wife Hilary died on the 7th
August. I am utterly heartbroken.

Bill

I'm very sorry to hear that.

Charles

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Anyway, these matters are now behind me. I suppose this is as good a
place to mention it as any, but my beloved wife Hilary died on the 7th
August. I am utterly heartbroken.

Bill. I am sorry. Look back on the good times and consider she would not
have wanted you to suffer.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

my beloved wife Hilary died on the 7th
August. I am utterly heartbroken.

Very sorry to hear that Bill, take care of yourself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 04:36:20 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

Anyway, these matters are now behind me. I suppose this is as good a
place to mention it as any, but my beloved wife Hilary died on the 7th
August. I am utterly heartbroken.

Sorry to hear that Bill, Unfortunately one of very few cast iron
guarantees that comes with life. I hope you can draw strength from
the support shown by your uk.d-i-y friends.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 19:09, Chris Green wrote:
We're aiming to put an electrically heated (as well as CH heated)
towel rail in the new shower/wet room. How are these normally switched
on and off?

5 One could get all clever and ...

Drill a 5inch hole in the wall.

With automation and string, drag the wet though and up a flag pole to
dry in the wind. On timer bring towels back, or swap to backup towel, if
outside humidity or wind don't present ideal drying conditions.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 04:37:29 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

We're aiming to put an electrically heated (as well as CH

heated)
towel rail in the new shower/wet room. How are these normally
switched on and off?

A relative of mine has an electric towel radiator. It takes hours

heat up, so he leaves it on 24/7.

Yes, I'm aiming to get a 400 watt or 600 watt heater which

shoudn't
take a huge time to get hot.

They aren't quick. And they don't do much to dry towels unless you leave
them on 24/7.

That surprises me but made me think: Why?

2 seconds of engaged brain and it obvious that the heat input has to
be *significantly* more than the rated heat output of the towel rail
otherwise it'll be losing heat almost as fast as it's been supplied.

Position/orientation of the heater might be important as well, you
want to set up a decent gravity flow within the towel rail to shift
the heat from the vicinty of the element to the rest of the rail.

Switches, you can get dedicated towel rail "run back" type switches.
Sort of thing where you press a button and it cycles through 1hr,
2hr, 3hr, off.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/19 04:36, Bill Wright wrote:

Anyway, these matters are now behind me. I suppose this is as good a
place to mention it as any, but my beloved wife Hilary died on the 7th
August. I am utterly heartbroken.

Bill

Sincere condolences Bill.

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 04:36, Bill Wright wrote:

Anyway, these matters are now behind me. I suppose this is as good a
place to mention it as any, but my beloved wife Hilary died on the 7th
August. I am utterly heartbroken.

So sorry to hear that Bill. Not much I can say that can make it any
better I am sure, but hang on in there!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 07:24, Tim+ wrote:

Anyway, these matters are now behind me. I suppose this is as good a
place to mention it as any, but my beloved wife Hilary died on the 7th
August. I am utterly heartbroken.

Bill

So sorry to hear this Bill. I dont think your father could have had a
more loving son or your wife a more loving husband.

Tim

Thank you. It's been hard, and now in some ways it's harder. I have a
hard road ahead.

The funeral collection raised £702.50 for the Rotherham Hospice. It's a
very good cause. I chatted with the secretary for a while and she told
me that they get a grant of £2.5 million per annum from the NHS, but
their running costs are over five million, so all the rest has to come
from fund raising and donations.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 09:04, Chris Green wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

Anyway, these matters are now behind me. I suppose this is as good a
place to mention it as any, but my beloved wife Hilary died on the 7th
August. I am utterly heartbroken.

I'm sorry to hear that Bill, I don't always agree with you but I still
feel for your loss.

Well you'd be a right old nutter if you agreed with me!

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 09:51, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Bill Wright
writes
Anyway, these matters are now behind me. I suppose this is as good a
place to mention it as any, but my beloved wife Hilary died on the 7th
August. I am utterly heartbroken.

Bill. I am sorry. Look back on the good times and consider she would not
have wanted you to suffer.

I'm just glad she went first because I can't bear to think of her
suffering the sadness and desolation I now feel.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 09:58, Andy Burns wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

my beloved wife Hilary died on the 7th August. I am utterly heartbroken.

Very sorry to hear that Bill, take care of yourself.

Thank you. The kids are being absolutely great. Both girls seem to think
I need 3,000 calories per day, and both are providing it.

Fat Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 10:23, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 04:36:20 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

Anyway, these matters are now behind me. I suppose this is as good a
place to mention it as any, but my beloved wife Hilary died on the 7th
August. I am utterly heartbroken.

Sorry to hear that Bill, Unfortunately one of very few cast iron
guarantees that comes with life. I hope you can draw strength from
the support shown by your uk.d-i-y friends.

Yes I think I will.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 23/08/2019 04:36, Bill Wright wrote:

Anyway, these matters are now behind me. I suppose this is as good a
place to mention it as any, but my beloved wife Hilary died on the 7th
August. I am utterly heartbroken.

Sorry to hear that. You said she was ill when I called in for that
printer for the Scouts that you gave away.

--
Adam