Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Options for switching electrically heated towel rail in wet room?

On 22/08/2019 19:09, Chris Green wrote:
We're aiming to put an electrically heated (as well as CH heated)
towel rail in the new shower/wet room. How are these normally switched
on and off?

Possibilities seem to me to be:-

1 Pull switch, but this feels wrong for a towel rail somehow, also
difficult to provide a clear indicator, a little glow by the
switch on the ceiling isn't very obvious.

So fit one with an ON/OFF flag

2 Normal switch outside the wet-room. Possible but again seems
rather counter-intuitive, though one could at least have a nice
obvious 'on' indicator.

Normal switches have a on and off position.

3 A switch in the wet room but outside the zones. This is fairly
easy in this case as the switch could be positioned on the soil
pipe casing on the opposite side of the wet-room from the shower.

Why not?

4 A Quinetic switch, but this doesn't have an indicator so I'd have
to add that as well, a rather expensive solution in total. Can
one get 'indicator' lamps as stand-alone accessories?

Overkill

5 One could get all clever and have a low voltage (SELV) switch and
circuit controlling a contactor/relay but this does seem a bit
OTT.

Overkill

The third option seems most "easy to use and find" but is it actually
OK? Can one get switches which are particularly suitable for
damp[ish] locations?

Is the switch likely to get wet?

--
Adam