Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrically heated towel rail - Thermostatic element + timer

I want to install an electrically heated towel rail in the bathroom -
running it from the CH is not practical.

I would like to use a Terma thermostatic element like

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ABGFEX6

because it gives more control over my Electricity Bill.

But the better half also wants me to fit a 24 hour timer so it can pre-
heat in the mornings.

see http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0066NEBO6

If I fit the timer, then the Terma will keep being switched off & on.
I imagine that this means it will forget any settings.

Would it be better to just fit a 'dumb' thermostatic element?

I'm not the first to do this, so I'd like to hear what others have done
& how well it worked out.

--
Sam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam Plusnet wrote:
I want to install an electrically heated towel rail in the bathroom -
running it from the CH is not practical.

I would like to use a Terma thermostatic element like

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ABGFEX6

because it gives more control over my Electricity Bill.

But the better half also wants me to fit a 24 hour timer so it can pre-
heat in the mornings.

see http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0066NEBO6

If I fit the timer, then the Terma will keep being switched off & on.
I imagine that this means it will forget any settings.

Would it be better to just fit a 'dumb' thermostatic element?

I'm not the first to do this, so I'd like to hear what others have done
& how well it worked out.

Not necessarily, many devices can remember the setting during power cuts
etc. Check with the manufacturer or maybe find somewhere to download the
instruction which might tell you the answer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Sam Plusnet
writes
I want to install an electrically heated towel rail in the bathroom -
running it from the CH is not practical.

I would like to use a Terma thermostatic element like

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ABGFEX6

because it gives more control over my Electricity Bill.

But the better half also wants me to fit a 24 hour timer so it can pre-
heat in the mornings.

see http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0066NEBO6

If I fit the timer, then the Terma will keep being switched off & on.
I imagine that this means it will forget any settings.

Would it be better to just fit a 'dumb' thermostatic element?

I'm not the first to do this, so I'd like to hear what others have done
& how well it worked out.

Not sure what you mean by a 'dumb' one, and I don't know if that one
forgets where it is set. But I've fitted one with a little manual dial
thermostat. (CH towel rad so mine is just for the summer so haven't
decided what control I will use yet. Thinking I might just use a boost
switch so it will automatically turn off)

No idea how well it works as the system isn't back up and running yet.

I bought this, there are other wattages and white ones etc.

http://www.towelradiator.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=659

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , newspost-c-
says...

In message , Sam Plusnet
writes
[...]

By a 'dumb' one I mean one with a bi-metal strip type thermostat.
Switching the power off wouldn't have any effect on its settings, but it
does relatively crude temperature control (overshoots & undershoots with
a fair amount of hysteresis).

No idea how well it works as the system isn't back up and running yet.

I bought this, there are other wattages and white ones etc.

http://www.towelradiator.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=659

Thanks for the link, I'll have a nose through that website.

--
Sam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

Sam Plusnet wrote:
[...]

I did try, but the manufacturer's information (product description &
installation instructions) I was able to find made no mention of it.
As manufacturers are usually keen to tell you all about the wonders of
their product, I suspect it doesn't remember much.

--
Sam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 3 Oct 2013 17:33:16 +0100, Sam Plusnet wrote:

I would like to use a Terma thermostatic element like

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ABGFEX6

How much!

because it gives more control over my Electricity Bill.

But the better half also wants me to fit a 24 hour timer so it can pre-
heat in the mornings.

But do you want to pre-heat at the same time *every* morning? Get
aroundable with a 7 day timer to some extent. Personally I'd just go
for a suitably sized heater(*) and one of the controllers that give
you a timed on period when you want it. Most give you a selection of
"on" periods, from 30 min to 3 hours witha couple of intermediate
steps. Can't be "accidentally" left on like a time switch put into
manual because you are late up and it's gone off...

(*) Not sure if this is a stand alone towel rail or one also part of
the CH system. The latter probably doesn't need a stat as the heat
losses from a radiator/towel rail sized to heat the room will be huge
compared to the electrical input.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sam Plusnet" wrote in message
I want to install an electrically heated towel rail in the bathroom -
running it from the CH is not practical.

I would like to use a Terma thermostatic element like

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ABGFEX6

because it gives more control over my Electricity Bill.

But the better half also wants me to fit a 24 hour timer so it can pre-
heat in the mornings.

see http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0066NEBO6

If I fit the timer, then the Terma will keep being switched off & on.
I imagine that this means it will forget any settings.

Would it be better to just fit a 'dumb' thermostatic element?

I'm not the first to do this, so I'd like to hear what others have done
& how well it worked out.

This looks identical to a TERMA unit that I use in a heated towel rail.
Controlled by Sangamo time switch. It heats in the morning and evening. It
remembers all settings.
HTH,
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

[...]

Thanks Nick.

I read all through the technical stuff I could find on the Terma website
& they didn't mention that fact that the memory is no-volatile - very
strange since most firms want to hit you over the head with all the good
stuff about their products.

--
Sam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terma heating elements like MEG, MOA and their KTX range will remember last settings used. Even if the power supply is cut off. These are microchip based products. Heating is electronically controlled. Some devices offer more than just a temperature control. MOA is a neat, small device with 2hrs booster/timer. KTX3 offers simple daily timer and dryer function. KTX4 has an infrared functionality allowing you to control heating element via external infrared controller (flexible programmes). Terma's website is worth a visit at http://www.termaheat.pl/Index.php?language=en

B&Q heated towel rail Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 3 December 19th 12 07:49 PM
Heated Towel Rail cook!e UK diy 3 June 3rd 12 07:13 PM
Element for Heated Towel Rail Endulini UK diy 2 March 20th 12 12:24 AM
Changing element on heated towel rail MW[_2_] UK diy 1 January 13th 10 10:51 PM
Can I have an electrically heated towel radiator in the bathroom? lovezoo UK diy 3 April 27th 07 01:14 PM