Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sam Plusnet Sam Plusnet is offline

Default Electrically heated towel rail - Thermostatic element + timer

In article ,
says...

Sam Plusnet wrote:
I want to install an electrically heated towel rail in the bathroom -
running it from the CH is not practical.

I would like to use a Terma thermostatic element like

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ABGFEX6

because it gives more control over my Electricity Bill.

But the better half also wants me to fit a 24 hour timer so it can pre-
heat in the mornings.

see http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0066NEBO6

If I fit the timer, then the Terma will keep being switched off & on.
I imagine that this means it will forget any settings.

Would it be better to just fit a 'dumb' thermostatic element?

I'm not the first to do this, so I'd like to hear what others have done
& how well it worked out.

Not necessarily, many devices can remember the setting during power cuts
etc. Check with the manufacturer or maybe find somewhere to download the
instruction which might tell you the answer.

I did try, but the manufacturer's information (product description &
installation instructions) I was able to find made no mention of it.
As manufacturers are usually keen to tell you all about the wonders of
their product, I suspect it doesn't remember much.

--
Sam