Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Element for Heated Towel Rail

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought an electric towel rail from a company (whom I won't name)
that arrived with the thermostat completely banjaxed, as the company have a
policy of not accepting any returns if not notified within 3 days I am faced
with the prospect of having a moderately expensive towel rail that can't be
fitted. Leaving aside the issues of why I didn't inspect it immediately and
the legality of the returns policy, I am looking at a number of options and
am interested to know if these types of thermostats are generally easily
available and easy to fit. My suspicion is that they are as the rails are
advertised with a variety of different options but Googling the manufacturer
hasn't given much information as to where I could get one or which to get.

A link to the towel rail is here (and no this isn't where I bought it from):
http://tinyurl.com/7lbzrwu

Cheers,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 19, 7:51*pm, "Endulini" wrote:
A link to the towel rail is here (and no this isn't where I bought it from):http://tinyurl.com/7lbzrwu

If the item is £100, call the credit card company.
#1 - Some offer free "oops" cover for 30-90 days (Barclaycard,
probably Amex, maybe others)
#2 - They may be able to advise / put pressure on the merchant

To replace the electric element.
#1 - Assume the fluid fill is oil or water/coolant re mess (do not
spill)
#2 - You need a 22mm spanner, about £3-4 off Ebay
#3 - Check the wattage of the existing element, 500W, 600W etc
#4 - Order one of EU manufacture from anyone
#5 - Remove old, screw in new.

If the old element is say 500W fixed temp (eg, 65oC) you can pick up a
standard replacement for about £18-29. By fixed temp I mean it has
just a cable coming out of a chrome/white cap on the end. No little
dial or lights & button etc. Rica is one common brand, screwfix often
have some cheap.

You can fit a variable temperature unit 30-37.5-45-52.5-60oC for about
£51-88, they are called MEG 1.0 and come in various ratings. You can
fit a 600W element in a 524W rated radiator. Do NOT screw the unit in
via the body, because it will break things inside. Black is usually
cheaper than grey/chrome/white for MEG. They seem reliable, used a
few. Note there is no "runback and turn off" timer on the MEG. Some
other thermostat towel rails have a 2hr-run push-button and drop to
power off or low power thereafter.

Note, if the old element is very bent check the radiator is straight
enough. They can be bent during welding - but also dented during
shipping and a non-flat radiator makes it hard to "flip it around" to
hide the point.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2012 19:51, Endulini wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought an electric towel rail from a company (whom I won't
name) that arrived with the thermostat completely banjaxed, as the
company have a policy of not accepting any returns if not notified
within 3 days I am faced with the prospect of having a moderately

Don't take any of that pony! If its inside the time limit for the
distance selling regs (10 working days or something like that), then
return it under those.

expensive towel rail that can't be fitted. Leaving aside the issues of
why I didn't inspect it immediately and the legality of the returns
policy, I am looking at a number of options and am interested to know if
these types of thermostats are generally easily available and easy to
fit. My suspicion is that they are as the rails are advertised with a
variety of different options but Googling the manufacturer hasn't given
much information as to where I could get one or which to get.

Its sure to be fixable, but why bother? Use your statutory rights.

--
Cheers,

John.

non-rusting heated towel rail? [email protected] UK diy 6 May 28th 11 11:45 PM
Changing element on heated towel rail MW[_2_] UK diy 1 January 13th 10 10:51 PM
Heated Towel Rail billy1 UK diy 3 June 10th 07 05:28 PM
Heated towel rail Totally clueless UK diy 22 May 31st 07 11:01 PM
Heated towel rail valves? Mike Halmarack UK diy 0 April 13th 06 09:23 AM