Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q heated towel rail

Fitted a chrome plated B&Q heated towel rail for a pal a few years back.
Thought it rubbish compared to my stainless steel one which came from TLC
- but it had already been bought, so just got on with it. The wall fixings
must have been designed by a spider on acid...

Anyway, got a call from him this morning - it was leaking. Went round
expecting it to be a valve or whatever - but no, it had corroded through
in a couple of places where the 'rungs' meet the side rails. So basically
scrap.

Obviously wanted one of exactly the same size to avoid re-plumbing and new
holes in the tiles, etc. So having looked at the B&Q site, went to get
one. And they didn't have one in stock - in the isle where the others were.

Went to the showroom, where there was the exact one on display. The very
helpful assistant looked it up and said they are no longer available. Well
could we have the display one then - not much point displaying something
you can't buy. No chance, he said. Would spoil the layout, having things
missing.

He then took us down to check the bay again - and pointed out a pile of
the exact ones on the end of the bay on clearance. So 50 quid rather than
130... However, his computer didn't know they were there.

How long would it be reasonable to expect something like this to last? 20
years? 30? The new one has a 5 year warranty.

--
*I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
[...]

we've been in this house 35 years and inherited a chrome towel rail which
must have been there for many years. It's still going strong, although I've
had to replace all the steel panel rads in that time.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
snip And they didn't have one in stock - in the isle where the others
were.

Since everyone has enjoyed taking the **** out of my spelling.......
Aisle gently point out that an isle is not an East End Fascist salute to
'itler but a small land mass surrounded by water (and is possibly Sceptered
in popular songs).
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 18:08:00 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

How long would it be reasonable to expect something like this to last?
20years? 30?

Of that order, rather than 20 to 30 hours...

But these days nothing is built to last and certainly not a lot of the
stuff you get in the sheds that is made down to a price.

The new one has a 5 year warranty.

Which be as much use a chocolate teapot, when the stock of "end of range"
units has been sold. OK you should still be able to get a refund...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Heated Towel Rail cook!e UK diy 3 June 3rd 12 07:13 PM
Heated Towel Rail billy1 UK diy 3 June 10th 07 05:28 PM
Heated towel rail Totally clueless UK diy 22 May 31st 07 11:01 PM
Bleeding heated towel rail Bob Minchin UK diy 3 April 19th 06 01:50 AM
Heated towel rail valves? Mike Halmarack UK diy 0 April 13th 06 09:23 AM