Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Marking hex bits to make it easier to find the right one - anyone?

On Sunday, 25 August 2019 16:46:48 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
On 25/08/2019 16:30, Terry Casey wrote:
In article , lid
says...

It is alleged that women, on average, can determine finer differences
between near-identical colours than men. I've seen tests on web sites where
you are presented with several patches of colour, all of them identical
apart from one which is very slightly different.

Shortly before colour TV started we had a very interesting
conversation with our RS rep who revealed that he was colour
blind. However, although he couldn't see colour, he could see
minor variations that normally sight folk can't.

He said that when he visited Ford's factory at Dagenham he
walked past the production line and would often spot a car and
think "I don't know what colour it is but some poor beggar is
going to by a car with different colour doors to the body!"

This was very useful during the war. He was part of an
experiment involving a group of colour blind men and an equal
number with normal sight. The RAF took them on a circular
flight of Britain that took in several camoflaged sites.

He and his group spotted all of them whereas the other group
spotted none!

what would cause that, trichromic but one of the spectral peaks in a different place to usual?

I had heard something similar; where colour blind cards are setup to
catch various groups with certain forms of colour blindness, where a
normally sighted person will not see a number of pattern, but one with
certain kinds of colour blindness will.

I do find it horrifying that there are people out there driving who
can't tell the difference between a green or red light.

There's a lot worse out there. Just beware.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

I do find it horrifying that there are people out there driving who
can't tell the difference between a green or red light.

Which is why traffic light heads now have a white rectangle around them so
the *position* of any of the three lights can be inferred in relation to the
rectangle, even if the colour itself is unknown.

Some countries use different shaped lights: eg square for red, diamond for
amber, circular for green in Quebec and Nova Scotia provinces, Canada.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
[...]

It's not part of the Driving Test amd one in 10 men is colour blind in some
way

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:

Which is why traffic light heads now have a white rectangle around them
so the *position* of any of the three lights can be inferred in relation
to the rectangle, even if the colour itself is unknown.

Most of the white borders had fallen off round here, last I noticed ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry Casey wrote:
In article 4a2e37ec-d067-49f5-ad0b-
, says...

On Wednesday, 21 August 2019 21:16:04 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
Does anyone think it would be useful to mark hex bits somehow to make
it easier to find the right one? In particular a way to find the PZ2
that one always wants would be very handy.

Is there any sort of standard colour coding (I've found a few sets
advertised with colour coding but I can't see any sort of consistency).

I was just thinking of marking my PZ bits with a black stripe for PZ0,
brown for PZ1, red for PZ2 and orange for PZ3. (Think resistor colour
codes, they're embedded in my brain so easy for me). Then maybe a
single colour for all Philips and another for slotted as these are
less frequently used.

I had a simialr situation with keys so decided to stamp them with a number.
Perhaps hex keys though would be too tough to stamp.

I'm puzzled by this thread as all my hex bits (from a number
of sets) are all stamped Pz1, Pz2, Ph1, Ph2 etcetera, so I
don't see the problem.

Mine are marked like that too but those markings are very difficult to
see when selecting a bit from a box or trying to spot what bit there
is in a holder.

Also, I always keep them in their holders in groups in
sequence, so I can usually pick the correct one without
needing the markings.

Yes, I have some stored that way but an aid to quickly selecting the
right one would save time.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 August 2019 17:28:57 UTC+1, NY wrote:
wrote in message

I do find it horrifying that there are people out there driving who
can't tell the difference between a green or red light.

Which is why traffic light heads now have a white rectangle around them so
the *position* of any of the three lights can be inferred in relation to the
rectangle, even if the colour itself is unknown.

Some countries use different shaped lights: eg square for red, diamond for
amber, circular for green in Quebec and Nova Scotia provinces, Canada.

As I have said before, should be octagon for red - as with the Stop sign.

And, possibly, arrow(s) for green.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
[...]

I dont. Thats why the traffic lights have the
red light at the top, green at the bottom;

Not clear what those color blind people do about the subsidiary
arrow lights that change color tho, presumably compare the color
they see with the main 3 light stack and see which grey matches
if they can't work it out from what the other cars are doing or
when they are at the head of the queue, when they get beeped
on a color change that they cannot see.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote
wrote

I do find it horrifying that there are people out there driving who
can't tell the difference between a green or red light.

Which is why traffic light heads now have a white rectangle around them so
the *position* of any of the three lights can be inferred in relation to
the rectangle, even if the colour itself is unknown.

Ours dont.

Some countries use different shaped lights: eg square for red, diamond for
amber, circular for green in Quebec and Nova Scotia provinces, Canada.

Thats not going to help with the subsidiary arrows that change color.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 12:37:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Which is why traffic light heads now have a white rectangle around them so
the *position* of any of the three lights can be inferred in relation to
the rectangle, even if the colour itself is unknown.

Ours don¢t.

Australian ones? Then **** off to an Australian ng, senile Ozzietard!

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 12:07:11 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I do find it horrifying that there are people out there driving who can't
tell the difference between a green or red light.

I don¢t.

ROTFLOL! Auto-contradicting senile idiot!!!!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

I do find it horrifying that there are people out there driving who
can't tell the difference between a green or red light.

Which is why traffic light heads now have a white rectangle around them
so
the *position* of any of the three lights can be inferred in relation to
the
rectangle, even if the colour itself is unknown.

Some countries use different shaped lights: eg square for red, diamond
for
amber, circular for green in Quebec and Nova Scotia provinces, Canada.

As I have said before, should be octagon for red - as with the Stop sign.

And, possibly, arrow(s) for green.

What I'd like to see is the red light for a filter lane made into an arrow,
as for the corresponding green light, so you can distinguish quickly between
adjacent traffic light heads, one for straight on and one for left- or
right-turn only. Sometimes I instinctively brake for the red of a filter
lane, and then a fraction of a second later work out that the light does not
apply to me because I'm going straight ahead.

Octagon for red would be a good idea - as long as the green was then *not* a
circle (maybe a left, downward or right arrow, according to circumstances),
because from a distance, an octagon and a circle are too similar in shape.

I'd also like to see a digital display above each head which shows the
number of seconds until the lights change from the current state. It would
help when approaching lights at high speed (eg when controlling entry to a
roundabout at the end of a dual carriageway) to determine whether there's a
chance of keeping moving or whether I'll have to stop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

I dont. Thats why the traffic lights have the
red light at the top, green at the bottom;

Not clear what those color blind people do about the subsidiary
arrow lights that change color tho, presumably compare the color
they see with the main 3 light stack and see which grey matches
if they can't work it out from what the other cars are doing or
when they are at the head of the queue, when they get beeped
on a color change that they cannot see.

Ah, lights which have a single arrow that changes colour (as opposed to
separate arrows for each colour, of which only one is lit at any time) must
be an Australian thing. I've never seen any here in the UK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
NY wrote
wrote

I do find it horrifying that there are people out there driving who
can't tell the difference between a green or red light.

Which is why traffic light heads now have a white rectangle around them
so the *position* of any of the three lights can be inferred in relation
to the rectangle, even if the colour itself is unknown.

Ours dont.

The early designs of ours didn't, but the white rectangle came into being
when newer designs were introduced in the 1970s. The so-called Mellor
design, named after a design consultant called David Mellor, who I presume
is not the same person as the 1980s/90s UK politician of the same name.
http://beno.uk/trafficlight/ tells you a lot more than you would ever want
to know about traffic light designs ;-)