Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Marking hex bits to make it easier to find the right one - anyone?

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
NY wrote
wrote

I do find it horrifying that there are people out there driving who
can't tell the difference between a green or red light.

Which is why traffic light heads now have a white rectangle around them
so the *position* of any of the three lights can be inferred in relation
to the rectangle, even if the colour itself is unknown.

Ours dont.

The early designs of ours didn't, but the white rectangle came into being
when newer designs were introduced in the 1970s. The so-called Mellor
design, named after a design consultant called David Mellor, who I presume
is not the same person as the 1980s/90s UK politician of the same name.
http://beno.uk/trafficlight/ tells you a lot more than you would ever want
to know about traffic light designs ;-)