Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Marking hex bits to make it easier to find the right one - anyone?

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 25/08/2019 16:30, Terry Casey wrote:
In article , lid
says...

It is alleged that women, on average, can determine finer differences
between near-identical colours than men. I've seen tests on web sites
where
you are presented with several patches of colour, all of them identical
apart from one which is very slightly different.

Shortly before colour TV started we had a very interesting
conversation with our RS rep who revealed that he was colour
blind. However, although he couldn't see colour, he could see
minor variations that normally sight folk can't.

He said that when he visited Ford's factory at Dagenham he
walked past the production line and would often spot a car and
think "I don't know what colour it is but some poor beggar is
going to by a car with different colour doors to the body!"

This was very useful during the war. He was part of an
experiment involving a group of colour blind men and an equal
number with normal sight. The RAF took them on a circular
flight of Britain that took in several camoflaged sites.

He and his group spotted all of them whereas the other group
spotted none!

I had heard something similar; where colour blind cards are setup to catch
various groups with certain forms of colour blindness, where a normally
sighted person will not see a number of pattern, but one with certain
kinds of colour blindness will.

I do find it horrifying that there are people out there driving who can't
tell the difference between a green or red light.

I dont. Thats why the traffic lights have the
red light at the top, green at the bottom;

Not clear what those color blind people do about the subsidiary
arrow lights that change color tho, presumably compare the color
they see with the main 3 light stack and see which grey matches
if they can't work it out from what the other cars are doing or
when they are at the head of the queue, when they get beeped
on a color change that they cannot see.