Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Marking hex bits to make it easier to find the right one - anyone?

"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
On Sunday, 25 August 2019 17:28:57 UTC+1, NY wrote:
wrote in message

I do find it horrifying that there are people out there driving who
can't tell the difference between a green or red light.

Which is why traffic light heads now have a white rectangle around them
so
the *position* of any of the three lights can be inferred in relation to
the
rectangle, even if the colour itself is unknown.

Some countries use different shaped lights: eg square for red, diamond
for
amber, circular for green in Quebec and Nova Scotia provinces, Canada.

As I have said before, should be octagon for red - as with the Stop sign.

And, possibly, arrow(s) for green.

What I'd like to see is the red light for a filter lane made into an arrow,
as for the corresponding green light, so you can distinguish quickly between
adjacent traffic light heads, one for straight on and one for left- or
right-turn only. Sometimes I instinctively brake for the red of a filter
lane, and then a fraction of a second later work out that the light does not
apply to me because I'm going straight ahead.

Octagon for red would be a good idea - as long as the green was then *not* a
circle (maybe a left, downward or right arrow, according to circumstances),
because from a distance, an octagon and a circle are too similar in shape.

I'd also like to see a digital display above each head which shows the
number of seconds until the lights change from the current state. It would
help when approaching lights at high speed (eg when controlling entry to a
roundabout at the end of a dual carriageway) to determine whether there's a
chance of keeping moving or whether I'll have to stop.