Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default car boot sale sockets

just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth terminal
of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 August 2019 08:38:39 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth terminal
of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Usually it's the live and neutral ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Monday, 12 August 2019 08:38:39 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth
terminal
of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Usually it's the live and neutral ;-)

no...this is a single hole just under the earth above live and neutral
......well two of them

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 August 2019 13:03:50 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
no...this is a single hole just under the earth above live and neutral
.....well two of them

for an indicating neon?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, 12 August 2019 13:03:50 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
no...this is a single hole just under the earth above live and neutral
.....well two of them

for an indicating neon?

Owain

turns out it is for fixing to a single paten box to give you a double socket

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth
terminal of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Just curious why anyone would buy a socket at a boot sale.

Especially one who rather obviously doesn't know what he's buying.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 August 2019 14:15:18 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
turns out it is for fixing to a single paten box to give you a double socket

Those are quite expensive usually, if you actually want one.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 12/08/2019 20:09, Andrew wrote:
In article ,
*** Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth
terminal of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Just curious why anyone would buy a socket at a boot sale.

Especially one who rather obviously doesn't know what he's buying.

He's Scottish

He wanked himself stupid when he found a packet of corn plasters and a
pair of shoes that were too small for him for sale in the same car boot.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth
terminal of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Just curious why anyone would buy a socket at a boot sale.

Especially one who rather obviously doesn't know what he's buying.

£1 each no better reason

--
It is my fault everybody hates and abuses me...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

*** Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth
terminal of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Just curious why anyone would buy a socket at a boot sale.

Especially one who rather obviously doesn't know what he's buying.

He's Scottish

He wanked himself stupid when he found a packet of corn plasters and a
pair of shoes that were too small for him for sale in the same car boot.

tee hee

--
It is my fault everybody hates and abuses me...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

*** Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth
terminal of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Just curious why anyone would buy a socket at a boot sale.

Especially one who rather obviously doesn't know what he's buying.

He's Scottish

He wanked himself stupid when he found a packet of corn plasters and a
pair of shoes that were too small for him for sale in the same car boot.

Those converter sockets normally come with some blanking plugs to conceal
the screws after fixing .
If he didnt get any then he has been diddled and that is usually enough
reason to ruin a Porridge Wogs day.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 August 2019 21:48:28 UTC+1, Marland wrote:
Those converter sockets normally come with some blanking plugs to conceal
the screws after fixing .

And usually a spare pair on pegs on the back of the faceplate.

If he didnt get any then he has been diddled and that is usually enough
reason to ruin a Porridge Wogs day.

But if they only cost £1 each he can sell them on to someone else for £2 a packet and still be in profit.

Or some silicone will probably fill the holes.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 August 2019 23:01:31 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
Those are quite expensive usually, if you actually want one.

double socket converter £4.30

Exactly. £4.30!

£1.44 for an ordinary socket
https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-sw...-socket/p24623

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

*** Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth
terminal of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Just curious why anyone would buy a socket at a boot sale.

Especially one who rather obviously doesn't know what he's buying.

He's Scottish

He wanked himself stupid when he found a packet of corn plasters and a
pair of shoes that were too small for him for sale in the same car boot.

Those converter sockets normally come with some blanking plugs to conceal
the screws after fixing .
If he didnt get any then he has been diddled and that is usually enough
reason to ruin a Porridge Wogs day.

GH

what part of still in packet did you not understand?......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth
terminal of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Just curious why anyone would buy a socket at a boot sale.

Especially one who rather obviously doesn't know what he's buying.

Quite. There's at least a chance the Toolstation ones have been through
some sort of quality control.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2019 06:38, newshound wrote:

Quite. There's at least a chance the Toolstation ones have been through
some sort of quality control.

Quality control by withdrawing a product based on number of customer
returns and/or negative product reviews?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth
terminal of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Just curious why anyone would buy a socket at a boot sale.

Especially one who rather obviously doesn't know what he's buying.

He's Scottish

Canny Scots look for value for money. Not the same as buying cheap junk.

--
*Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article d643867d-785a-4a12-b6e9-f46151427836
@googlegroups.com, says...

On Monday, 12 August 2019 23:01:31 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
Those are quite expensive usually, if you actually want one.

double socket converter 4.30

Exactly. 4.30!

1.44 for an ordinary socket
https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-sw...-socket/p24623

Plus the cost of the double back box, increasing the size of
the hole in the wall to take it and all the extra time taken,
etcetera ...

Instead, a 5 minute job that will make the extra 2.86 seem
well worth it.

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

*** Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just figured out what the two extra holes are just below the earth
terminal of a double 13A socket I bought at a car boot sale ......

Just curious why anyone would buy a socket at a boot sale.

Especially one who rather obviously doesn't know what he's buying.

He's Scottish

He wanked himself stupid when he found a packet of corn plasters and a
pair of shoes that were too small for him for sale in the same car boot.

Those converter sockets normally come with some blanking plugs to conceal
the screws after fixing .
If he didnt get any then he has been diddled and that is usually enough
reason to ruin a Porridge Wogs day.

GH

what part of still in packet did you not understand?......

Well you seem to have missed what the holes were for so presumably could
not understand or read the instructions that came with them as indicated
by just figured out so it would have been easy for you to think the plugs
were some free tic tac mints or something.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:
In article d643867d-785a-4a12-b6e9-f46151427836
@googlegroups.com, says...

On Monday, 12 August 2019 23:01:31 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
Those are quite expensive usually, if you actually want one.
double socket converter 4.30

Exactly. 4.30!

1.44 for an ordinary socket
https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-sw...-socket/p24623

Plus the cost of the double back box, increasing the size of
the hole in the wall to take it and all the extra time taken,
etcetera ...

Instead, a 5 minute job that will make the extra 2.86 seem
well worth it.

Except that it's not going to match any other socket in the room.

--
*HOW DO THEY GET DEER TO CROSS THE ROAD ONLY AT THOSE YELLOW ROAD SIGNS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:
In article d643867d-785a-4a12-b6e9-f46151427836
@googlegroups.com, says...

On Monday, 12 August 2019 23:01:31 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
Those are quite expensive usually, if you actually want one.
double socket converter 4.30

Exactly. 4.30!

1.44 for an ordinary socket
https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-sw...-socket/p24623

Plus the cost of the double back box, increasing the size of
the hole in the wall to take it and all the extra time taken,
etcetera ...

Instead, a 5 minute job that will make the extra 2.86 seem
well worth it.

Except that it's not going to match any other socket in the room.

That might not matter if it isn't in plain sight.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 August 2019 16:52:48 UTC+1, charles wrote:
Except that it's not going to match any other socket in the room.

That might not matter if it isn't in plain sight.

Or if, like in my study, all the sockets were singles and they all (well, both) got converter-ed to doubles.

As one had three imperial conduits running into the box, cutting out the box for a double wasn't an option.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:
In article d643867d-785a-4a12-b6e9-f46151427836
@googlegroups.com, says...

On Monday, 12 August 2019 23:01:31 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
Those are quite expensive usually, if you actually want one.
double socket converter 4.30

Exactly. 4.30!

1.44 for an ordinary socket
https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-sw...-socket/p24623

Plus the cost of the double back box, increasing the size of
the hole in the wall to take it and all the extra time taken,
etcetera ...

Instead, a 5 minute job that will make the extra 2.86 seem
well worth it.

Except that it's not going to match any other socket in the room.

That does not matter in Terry's case. It's hidden behind a table. It
only took me 2 minutes not 5 minutes to fit it. Although I did actually
charge him for five minutes work:-).

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:
In article d643867d-785a-4a12-b6e9-f46151427836
@googlegroups.com, says...

On Monday, 12 August 2019 23:01:31 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
Those are quite expensive usually, if you actually want one.
double socket converter 4.30

Exactly. 4.30!

1.44 for an ordinary socket
https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-sw...-socket/p24623

Plus the cost of the double back box, increasing the size of
the hole in the wall to take it and all the extra time taken,
etcetera ...

Instead, a 5 minute job that will make the extra 2.86 seem
well worth it.

Except that it's not going to match any other socket in the room.

That might not matter if it isn't in plain sight.

It would matter to me. ;-)

--
*Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2019 06:50, alan_m wrote:
On 13/08/2019 06:38, newshound wrote:

Quite. There's at least a chance the Toolstation ones have been
through some sort of quality control.

Quality control by withdrawing a product based on number of customer
returns and/or negative product reviews?

Toolstation is probably big enough and sufficiently interested in its
reputation to do more checking on suppliers than itinerant car boot sale
dealers. But returns and reviews works too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:
In article d643867d-785a-4a12-b6e9-f46151427836
@googlegroups.com,
says...

Exactly. 4.30!

1.44 for an ordinary socket
https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-sw...-socket/p24623

Plus the cost of the double back box, increasing the size of
the hole in the wall to take it and all the extra time taken,
etcetera ...

Instead, a 5 minute job that will make the extra 2.86 seem
well worth it.

Except that it's not going to match any other socket in the room.

That does not matter in Terry's case. It's hidden behind a table. It
only took me 2 minutes not 5 minutes to fit it. Although I did actually
charge him for five minutes work:-).

Don't worry - I've got a good memory! :-)

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Where can I get boot leather for my wife's boot heel? Karlheinz Fenstermacher Home Repair 66 July 10th 15 02:55 PM
Car Boot Lock - Update Mr Pounder[_2_] UK diy 48 January 24th 13 08:28 PM
Car boot lock Mr Pounder[_2_] UK diy 32 January 20th 13 03:07 AM
[OT] Hire car boot size... JoeJoe UK diy 17 January 13th 13 08:29 PM
DIY car CV boot repair nafuk UK diy 21 May 3rd 05 07:59 PM